“Beautiful Sweet Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orari Bed & Breakfast

You added Orari Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Orari Bed & Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   42 Gloucester Street, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #30 of 131 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mill Valley, California
“Beautiful Sweet Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I were in our last days of being in New Zealand after two months of travel celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary and were so grateful to find the Orari B&B. We loved our sweet cozy and spacious room. The owner was so attentive to our needs helping us with restaurants and information on things to do for our last two days in Christchurch. The location was perfect for visiting the Botanical Gardens, the RESTART Area downtown since the Earthquake, and walking distance to a very good restaurant Fiddlesticks. We had a car also so that we could easily drive to explore Akora on the Banks Pennisula, fantastic car journey! Loved the little French village of Akora also. Our hostess also told us about the Court Theater which we loved. Christchurch lost it's famous playhouse and it has now been redone in a great way. We got to see The Women and had a delicious dinner at the nearby Peddlepusher Restaurant. Delicious food. Christchurch is regaining it's city year by year and we were very happy to have been able to so easily explore it from the Orari. Don't want to forget the yummy breakfasts, homemade goodies each day, and a glass of wine in the afternoon. Would recommend and return here anytime.

Room Tip: Loved our room on the second floor at the end of the house with the great window seat.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Clouston Park, Upper Hutt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My brother and wife booked this amazing place through their travel consultant in England. I live in Upper Hutt and tagged along and Jan managed to book me in on short notice. I stay in a lot of motels normally for work and it made a nice change to stay in a B&B. the room although a little small had everything I needed and was comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was great and Jan couldn't have been more helpful. Maybe a little on the pricey side but you really get what you pay for and I don't mind paying extra for decent accommodation.

Room Tip: If you have trouble going up stairs and have lots of bags ask for a downstairs room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a prelude to an early morning flight to Auckland. The hostess was very polite and very helpful at check-in. We took her advice about a restaurant very near to the B&B, the Fiddlesticks Restaurant and Bar, for a delightful dinner. The bed was very comfortable and we slept quite soundly! Bathroom, en suite, amenities were useful. Breakfast was quick, and good, and we were off to the airport to drop our rental car and fly to Auckland.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Now, I know a lot of people really like this B & B, so I recognize my opinion is in the minority, but I am sharing it nonetheless. I recently stayed here and really did not think the room was worth the rate- the B & B smelled like old food, sort of like staying above a take-out restaurant. The bed mattress was a futon mattress, not an actual bed mattress, and the linens were not in a good state. Overall- really just felt like the cost was not a reflection of the quality of accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orari, Manager at Orari Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, although I am very surprised by your comments and one thing in particular makes me wonder if you have confused us with somewhere else you stayed on your trip, as we do not have any futon mattresses. All our beds have top quality inner spring mattresses - no exceptions!
As for 'old food smell', again, I am wondering if you have the right place, as the only cooking we do is free range bacon and eggs, made to order for breakfast. Or perhaps you had checked in early and could still smell the bacon but we have extractor fans so the aroma does not stay around for long. Also, we make our own muffins - generally in the early afternoon - so you may have arrived soon after they were baked and that aroma may have been the culprit, although most find it delicioulsy enticing. We use very good quality linen, so that comment also surprises me. A few of the towels are possibly due replacement - we are always on the lookout for signs of wear and we try to replace them well before they look past their best but perhaps a few have been missed. I wll go through all of them today and replace any that are not in pristine condition, which is our standard. I would be interested to know which room you were in, as our rates vary depending on the room.
Bonita Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our hostesses were a delight at this B&B that was across the street from the Art Museum and close to the park and several nice restaurants in a city that is still reeling from the earthquake. Our room was cozy (although I don't think they have a/c) and comfortable. We were upstairs but there is a luggage elevator.
Morning breakfast was quite good and they set out wine at 5pm. There is free WIFI and washer/dryer for a small fee.

Room Tip: We did not book the room so don't know how prices change, but several rooms have private bath do...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in Christchurch and at Orari. I presume your booking was made by an agent but anyone making a booking can specify the room they would like. They all have their own bathrooms, 8 are ensuite and the other 2 are across the hallway, directly opposite the room, so fortuntely we do not have any shared bathrooms:-)

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and that we will have you back to stay with us again sometime.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Loved this place. Nice, quaint, great location. Wonderful people that run this place too. Great location as easy walking distance to the city and gardens. Note that the city has been devastated by the earthquake - it's really shocking to see how much damage has been done. This damage will take 10 - 20 years to restore. There really is not that much to do in town, but it was a great starting point of my NZ tour.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Orari, Manager at Orari Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and we're so happy that you loved Orari:-)

I am pleased to be able to report that there are more and more of the cities attractions and activities re-opening all the time - and some new ones too! There are lots of restaurant and cafes in our area now and several more cafes opened just in the last week. The gondola is now running again too, providing spectacular 360 deg views at the top!

You are right, the city was devastated in the earthquakes but it is a very exciting place to visit(and to live in) with new things opening all the time and lots of new innovations coming on stream - many of them world firsts! I can't think of a more exciting place to be with all this going on.

i hope you'll return to see the progress:-)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

It is currently hard to know where to stay in Christchurch. You want to be close to centre but so many favourite hotels have now gone. The Orari is a beautifully run guest-house, centrally located, with a friendly welcome. Recently renovated and passed all the safety tests. Comfortable rooms with electric blankets and extra heating for the winter. Great breakfast. Even a small garden to sit in. What more could you ask for? A reasonable price for what you get. That too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Orari Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!