“Super nice” 4 of 5 stars

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand   |
Island of Malta, Malta
“Super nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for a whole week and loved it. The whole place is really clean, safe and secure and most importantly comfortable. The staff who work there are mainly backpackers and they are all really nice and friendly.

The only issue with the place was the wifi, or should I say lack of it. Firstly, you only get 50mb per day for free which runs out in a couple of minutes on xhamster, and most of the time you couldn't connect anyway cos the modem would need resetting. So in the end I gave up on their wifi and bought a mobile data package for my phone which was much easier.

I will definitely stay at this hostel again and can highly recommend it to anyone of all ages and nationalities.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and wouldn't stay again. We found it to be noisy and the double room which we payed $90 for was not much larger than the double bed it contained. We found that the single power point was frustrating given that we needed to charge multiple devices and there wasn't a bedside light which would have made the room a lot more inviting. There appears to be no sound proofing in the walls between the rooms and we don't get any enjoyment from listening to the neighbours rolling over in bed. Our room was on the outside edge of the building and the hostel is on the corner of a busy intersection. Double glazed windows would help cut out the road and pedestrain noise as well as helping to make the building more energy efficient. The 'amazing' gardens about which we had read in other reviews were far from amazing. I guess if you live in a city where there is no greenery they would be impressive. Its a shame as for a couple of hundred dollers the gardens could be amazing and low maintenance. Even spending $100 a year in annual flowers would make a huge difference. Given the name of the hostel we expected the buildings to have a lot more character and that there would be a reasonable amount of garden space, however there was neither. Personally I have an issue with security cameras being everywhere, especially when there are no warning signs and when we weren't told at check in that our stay would be monitored. I guess the need for cameras arises from the type of guests who normally stay here. Overall it was a disappointment and not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We only stayed at this place for one night. We had a private room with a bathroom. The vibe is pretty chilled, courtyard is nice, the bed is comfortable and the place is clean. However the room is very tiny and there is zero amenities. We don't require much but for the money we paid, an electric water kettle and couple of cups would be nice. The place itself isn't too bad but for the same amount of money we paid for the room here, we got much better room in other towns of the South Island.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here for 5 weeks with my fiancé and it was just an amazing chilled out place (most nights) with an added bonus of a hot tub and sauna to use FOR FREE! Not come across that at all anywhere. Impressively clean too in all places and the beds are some of the comfiest I've come across in any hostel. Got to know a lot of friendly faces around here and with the calm, chilled out atmosphere of the place, it is perfect to do so round a table or sitting on the lawn. Also reflects the South Island as a whole really!

Will really miss this place and whenever I finally come back to Christchurch, this is top of the list to stay in once again!

Thank you to Pieter, Charlotte, Andy and Gerti for a fantastic stay.

Martin & Adele :)

Stayed November 2013
Remuera, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in a small dorm and loved it. This hostel is impeccable clean and all the staff is really nice and friendly. They helped me organise my trip through NZ and all the recommendations turned out well (though I didn't get to do them all).

I especially loved the garden. The weather was beautiful on my stay and it was just so nice to be sitting outside in the sun.

This hostel is definitely to be highly recommended for solo travellers (and the couples I met loved it too.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Mysore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed in The Old Countryhouse twice while in Christchurch. A really pleasant experience from the start with exceptional service from all the staff. On my second trip when arriving after hours I had from them an email with clear instructions as to how to find my bed. They also helped me with finding my way in and around Christchurch (restaurants, pubs, shuttle bookings, tour bookings etc).
Regarding the facilities they have the cleanest rooms and bathrooms I've come across in any backpacker across the world... Period!! The kitchen is fairly well maintained but the fridge is a bit overcrowded. The hot tub and sauna is a wonderful way to end the day, there are not many places where you can find a sauna at no extra charge, and the no party policy ensures an undisturbed sleep.
One bone I have to pick however is being charged 3 dollars for every card transaction, this is something I did not come across anywhere else in New Zealand and does take away some of the sheen from an otherwise excellent place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Schluechtern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The family room at this hostel were simple and small, but very clean. The service and namely the friendlyness of the team make this hostel a very nice place to stay over a few days as we did. We will certainly come back.
Very good value for an affordable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Old Countryhouse? Share your experiences!