“Little Italy with a little shitaly” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Little Italy with a little shitaly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Little Italy was OK. I mean it was reasonably overpriced but the food was of a reasonable flavor content. The pasta I order had a rather sticky texture to it which was ok, but it was certainly far from al dente, the texture I usually prefer. My partner also had some pasta and she seemed to rather enjoy it. The children in my company seemed enthralled by the coloring in they were given by the waitress so as far as they were concerned, this restaurant was amazing. The set meal they got was of considerable value and had multiple courses. I thought the place was rather nice, even if the decor was a terrible pastiche of Italian culture.

After a few wines I tend to start requiring the bathroom rather urgently. Tonight was no exception. As I raced to the lavatory, hand's on backside, desperately clenching my sphincter I realized that the loo was in the middle of a hoary old bar attached to the restaurant. After the birthing process I went back to my table and my children informed me that they wished to go to the toilet. They wanted to be big and go it alone, but I refused. There were drunk old people leering and singing next door, playing poker, smoking and fornicating. Kids don't need to see that. So the kids had to hold on until we left the place. Unfortunately I now require some new back seats in my car. But it was worth it for their safety.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
Christchurch New Zealand
“Great Place for a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have had nothing but great service and good food at excellent value
The staff are so friendly Always a great place to visit

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch
“Worst dining experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Not one to complain but there was nothing about this dinner out that was even satisfactory. Restaurant had about six small tables, our dinner took around an hour 15 minutes to get to us and then tasted bland and horrible. The steaks at the table weren't cooked right and the pastas were sticky and average. The main thing that annoyed me is the "manager" Rebecca didn't seem to care about the feedback we were giving her and she made us all feel like we were wasting her time. The bill came to about $250.00, we had to pay the full amount as the "manager" was not "authorised" to give discount but they did offer us vouchers so we could come back and have another horrible experience. By far the worst restaurant in NZ I have ever been to!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch
“Smile factor is missing here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Our visit to Little Italy was with friends for a catch up post Christmas and starting back at work. The venue has the right 'little Italy' look but the restaurant is separated by a thin half wall to a TAB and smokers area and our evening was started by the strong never going away smell of cigarette smoke and noise from the bar. Our table was actually probably the best position in the venue for being further away from the smokers area.

However, the food was well presented and absolutely went down with our party very well. Great pizza choices with a Gangster theme and the Al Capone was a hit. Two of us had Prawn cocktails to start and they were pleasantly different from the usual 70' s Shrimp cocktails. VERY WELL DONE.

Some of the waitresses seemed none too smiley and as we were a very quiet group a few more smiles would have been nice to see.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, New Zealand
“food not great, service even worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

we were greeted by a dark haired waitress who was lovely, but then we got a blonde waitress who was definately not interested in doing a good job. her tone was sharp and she needed to work on her people skills. i ordered the fettacine cabbonara, it was really dry and the mushrooms and bacon portions were stingy. when the blonde waitress came over and asked how our meals were i said mine was a bit dry she said 'oh, the chef put lots of sauce on, it must have dried up on the way to the table', she did offer to take it back and get some more sauce, but i have worked in hospitality and i know what happens to meals that are sent back for altering in many places... :( my partner had steak he asked for med rare, he got med well. all in all not a great experience.

• Visited January 2013