“Efficent Base” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charlie B's Backpacker

Charlie B's Backpacker
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Charlie B's Backpacker
You added Charlie B's Backpacker to your Saves list
268 Madras Street, Christchurch, New Zealand   |
Northern Ireland
“Efficent Base”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Stayed in this hostel twice in December and found it to be a great base from which to explore Christchurch. Its within easy walking distance to the cathedral square from where buses depart to both the airport and the train station. The hostel itself is very clean with a mid sized kitchen and two seperate tv rooms. The staff are also extremely helpful.

• Stayed December 2008

new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

This hostel is one of the best in New Zealand and Australia!
I have stayed is some nice places but this place ticked all my boxes and then some. Its central, reasonably priced, staffed 24 hours, CLEAN (like no other hostel I have seen before) and the staff could not do enough for me. They had just finished renovating the kitchen when I was there with is pretty fancy and had just repainted so the place is really up to speed. The biggest plus was the room - beds so comfy and not foam!! CLEAN (did I mention that already) and spacious. Really good value for money and if your a pet lover (like me) they have a resident cat "Brian" and two dogs!

• Liked — Great garden
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plymouth, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

We stayed in a double room for a couple of nights. Really clean hostel from the bathrooms to the shared communal areas (well, maybe not the kitchen all the time, but its a big hostel so what do you expect!) with informative front desk staff.

Nothing more to say, than if you want some where cheap (that does not charge much for services, laundry, internet), then this is a good central bet for Christchurch.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
great britain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

One of the best Backpacker places we stayed in. We were only in Christchurch for 3 days so we wanted to stay in the city centre, near Cathedral square. Charlie B's is ideal as its only 5 minutes walk from there and has plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Rooms were clean and spacious, consisted of a bedroom, bathroom and open plan living area. Also had internet facilities. I would recommend this place to anyone, if you're after budget accommodation.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Walls could do with a lick of paint!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed here during Nov 06 and found the hostel a joy. We didnt see or stay in the dorms so I can only comment on the cleanliness and comfort of the double rooms. We found the hostel was pretty much spotless and the staff really helpful. I think if you go with Qualmark rating whilst your in NZ then you'll be fine as we found these more reliable than BBH. Charlie B's is a 4* Hostel using this rating and it definately appeared to be of this standard. Love the HUGE fridge, dining area and TV rooms.
Dont worry about booking a stay here, its also close to town.

Stayed January 2007
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed at Charlie B's in a single room on two separate occasions this past May & July. I found this hostel to be clean and quiet, and it had one of the homiest atmospheres that I experienced during my travels in New Zealand. SOme other comments are as follows...

What I liked about Charlie B's...
1) I thought that the kitchen was very well apointed -- it even had a walk-in fridge for guests to use! The dining area is great.
2) Security is pretty tight, and you need an access code to get into the kitchen/laundry/internet areas.
3) I found the front desk staff to be very helpful and eager to please. They were very forthcoming with advice and gave me lots of pointers on what to see in Christchurch, and the cheapest ways to get around.
4) It is a convenient walking distance from Cathedral Square.

You should also know...
1) Charlie B's is on a busy street, which can get a little noisy.
2) Music is piped into the hallways and bathrooms, and wasn't normally shut off until about midnight.
3) On one occasion, someone inexplicably began vacuuming at 6am!

I found Charlie B's to have a lot of character, and was one of the best independent hostels that I stayed at during my travels throughout New Zealand -- I would stay there a third time!

Chris =)

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2005

Situated off Latimer square, this backpackers is a 15 minute stroll to the pubs and cafes an Oxford Terrace. That's the only positive about this place. Staff are kinda weird, the foyer is dirty and smells of cabbage soup, or is that the staff?. The kitchen is basic and, as so often is the case in backpackers hostels that have lost interest, was filthy and very poorly furnished. Bedrooms were crappy, threadbare, with rusty iron bedsteads and no windows (in my double at least). Also, they told me on check-in that they had no singles left, yet when I was leaving after my one and only night to transfer to the excellent Christchurch City YHA, a single Aussie told me that he had walked in off the street and taken a single 3 or 4 hours after I had checked-in.

This backpackers is a genuine poo-hole of a place..you stinker!!!!

• Stayed April 2003

Been to Charlie B's Backpacker? Share your experiences!