“Didnt stay here but they were the most helpful and kind people I have met” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport

You added Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport to your Saves list
Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Memorial Avenue | PO Box 14-043, Christchurch, New Zealand   |
Ranked #91 of 142 Hotels in Christchurch
Melbourne, Australia
“Didnt stay here but they were the most helpful and kind people I have met”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We didnt stay here but when we landed into Christchurch airport, We couldnt locate our campervan rental place (Spaceships) they were having problems with their phone. Anyway we walked for a bit and then popped into the hotel to get directions.
Suzana the receptionist was so kind, she offered to call spaceships for us and try arrange collection from the hotel. When she couldnt make contact either, she asked me to wait and she arranged with her manager for the driver of the hotel to drop us off at the car rental place.
Alan was the driver and again he couldnt have been nicer or kinder.
If this is the kind if standard they offer to non guests then I belive staying with them would truly be wonderful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had to switch hotels due to a long delay in flight, and I wish I could have stayed at the Copthorne again. The Sudima is somewhat rundown/under construction. The wing my room was either was an addition or renovated, but when I got to my room I entered the most neutral, blah looking room I've ever been in. It had a cruddy view of the hotel kitchen's industrial roof and to top it off, stationary windows that cannot open and no balcony for fresh air (perhaps because the dumpster area is within vision). They did not have free shuttle vouchers to offer like the other hotel I was at and the internet was $5/24hrs and restricted to land-line access. I wanted to go to a fitness center and work out, but apparently there is not one in this hotel (perhaps that's under construction too??) I then decided to go to the pool and soak up some sunshine, but that was under construction and the only place to sit and get that fresh air was in a courtyard that was surrounded by hotel rooms. I ended up leaving the courtyard after 10 minutes because someone in the surrounding rooms was burping and farting and it was just echoing back and forth in the courtyard and weirding me out. I hope to make it through the rest of the night without any more disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

You can walk to the airport! (however they do offer a free shuttle and at 4am we took advantage of this) You can walk to the rental campervan depot, and you can walk to the Antarctic Centre! Would stay there again if I needed a stop over. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant which was perfectly agreeable.

• Stayed October 2013
Greymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

There is not a better location (other than Novotel at Auckland airport). They need to look at prices. I know rooms at a premium in Christchurch due to the rebuild, but would have hoped that the Sudima - and they are not the only ones are they Copthorne Hotel - who seem to have increased prices while reducing services.
Got quoted $230 by Sudima, got room through Air New Zealand for $170.
Overall okay but gets hard not to compare with other airport hotels that are about same price. Food well priced and tasty
Ask for rooms away from the low 600's as very noisy, sounds like laundry and unfortunately everyone walks past the rooms so extra noise.

Room Tip: End of corridor rooms hopefully quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I had my travel agent book me a hotel stay near the airport in Christchurch as I had a very early flight in the morning and needed something close, this was the only fitting the bill. Upon arrival I find my pre-paid booking had been cancelled, for what reason I did not have explained, however they did rectify quickly.

I was given a room in what must be the oldest part of the hotel, a key was used not one of the modern cards to open the door. To my horror when opening a door inside the room it was not storage but a door to an adjoining room which possessed no means of locking occupants in the other room out. This may be satisfactory were we travelling together as say a family, but I was travelling alone and most certainly did not want unwelcomed intruders into my room, and this did happen three times in the first hour I was there, the first time I was mostly undressed and forced to run past the door, this despite the Chinese couple clearly being able to hear my television being on as twice more did they try entering, the third time with my 23kg bag pushed against the door!

The room was very tired decor, aircon only consisted of opening a window and the room was very warm when I entered. For the $160 pet night I paid I expected better than I got. Not value for money people.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Sudima is the only hotel within walking distance of the airport and they clearly bank on that. Rooms are very outdated and poorly lit. Maybe comparable to a Motel 8 in the US. Staff is friendly and check in/check out is usually fast. Breakfast (extra $) is very good, probably the best in a Christchurch hotel. Overall it is seriously overpriced I only stay here when catching a very early flight.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Antarctic center are quieter and newer.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Sudima is easily the most convenient location for Christchurch Airport, with a free shuttle service 24-hours a day. However, the hotel is seriously dated, noisy, small rooms and lacking facilities. Yes, it is currently being renovated, but the price is still excessive. We had a much larger, more modern room in Queenstown with a commanding view of the Remarkables and the town, at nearly $100 per night less than we paid here. The central heating was also uncomfortably high. Staff were very good, location great, but should be charging about $140 a night for the standard of building, rather than $245.

Room Tip: Family rooms are just doubles with an extra bed stuffed into them.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport? Share your experiences!