“Lovely hotel - very attentive staff” 5 of 5 stars

The George Christchurch
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Park Terrace, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #7 of 142 Hotels in Christchurch
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lovely hotel - very attentive staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We recently stayed at The George for two nights and were made to feel very special. The staff are very attentive, they take care of all small details. Beautiful gardens. Handy location. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

First off al I have to say "Thank you" to Hester Fourie - Front of House Host, for helping me with my reservation. I had issues with my computer and Hester helped me with my reservation and made sure that I was accommodated all the way. Hester was not on duty when I checked-in but made the effort to look me up the next day and find out if everything is to my satisfaction. She sure is an asset to "The George"! My stay was lovely. The rooms are immaculate and the little touches are unforgetable - like George Bear waiting for me upon turndown. The staff at this hotel is friendly, well mannered and helpful.

Both restaurants are great - serving good fresh food. The George is situated about 15 minutes walk from the City Centre. I visit Christchurch on a regular basis and have always stayed elsewhere, but now that I have found "The George" I know I'll
become a regular.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We enjoyed our week long stay at the hotel, the staff treated us like royalty with nothing ever being too much trouble. Loved the Pascatore Restaurant, one of the best places my husband and I have ever eaten at. Thank you to all the staff for going above and beyond to make us feel welcome while we stayed there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed at the George over the weekend, and it is a beautiful hotel. Rooms are lovely and the bathrooms very spacious with heated towel racks and floors ( it does get cold in winter). We ate at the ground floor bistro and also had breakfast in the hotel, and found both meals very expensive. At breakfast, the selection is very limited with supermarket yoghurts and a small fruit selection - for such a boutique hotel, you do expect a better standard. Staff were very friendly and the location is good, opposite a beautiful park and a few blocks into the centre of town. I am likely to give another hotel a try next time I am in Christchurch. Again, no free wifi - when will hoteliers give up on charging for this - it is infuriating.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We were fortunate to stay here for two nights and we were treated like the most important people to have ever stayed here. Our room was immaculate. I loved the linden leaves toiletries a touch of luxury. handmade chocolates every night in our room, minibar prices are reasonable. George the teddy was a lovely touch. We dined at the restaurant Piscatore in the hotel and had the best dining experience. The staff were attentive, pleasant, knowledgeable, professional and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 1 night 2 weeks after the earthquake. It's a boutique hotel without a large lobby except for a desk at check in and a bar and nearby sitting area. It makes for a more personal experience. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The room was not very spacious but were very modern and tastefully decorated (as was the rest of the hotel). The bathroom was actually quite large based on the size of the room. It is right across from a large beautiful park and only about 5-7 blocks from all the action (cathedral square, etc). Would stay here again.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
perth australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We booked this hotel as we were stuck in Christchurch an extra night due to earthquake. Booked via wotif and got a package for room and 3 course dinner. Was great value compared to just room price.

When we arrived I must admit I was a bit worried looking at the hotel from the outside - it does look like a dodgy old hotel - but my worries were all put to rest the moment I stepped inside. This boutique hotel is amazing. No big reception area just a friendly face at a desk to check you in.

Check in was simple and we were shown to our room for the night. Must say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has recently been renovated and has been done very tastefully. The room wasn't massive but big enough for the two of us and all our luggage including ski's. Colour scheme was very neutral and the bathroom was similarly decorated.

The guy who carried luggage to the room was very friendly and stopped for a bit of a chat about the days events (earthquake) and gave us a run down on what was happening that night if we were interested. He then offered us a drink (on the house) which was delivered to our room in no time. Was such a lovely touch and was definitely needed after the day we had had.

Since nothing in Christchurch was open we were pretty much stuck in the hotel so we made the most of the fabulous room and chilled out with a few drinks and watched tv and relaxed.

Later we went to dinner at the restaurant on bottom floor (50 on park) our package included the 3 course grill menu. Great choices and we both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. The service was wonderful and everybody was so very friendly and laid back. We had our entree and main course and decided we weren't quite ready for dessert so headed back to our room and a little while later our dessert was delivered to our room, which again was a lovely touch.

Had a great nights sleep but must say the bed was king but a very small king (more like a queen) but very comfy. Room service for breakfast and yet again fabulous food and friendly staff delivered.

Check out was simple and easy. I am very glad that we decided to stay at the George and if I am ever back to Christchurch I would hope to stay at the George again.

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and can't fault at all. Thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Christchurch? Share your experiences!