We finished our tour of New Zealand with two nights at The George. We were getting tired when we arrived after a drive up from Dunedin but the friendly welcome and quick check-in soon saw us settled into a very comfortable room on the fourth floor. We were offered a complimentary juice, tea or coffee which was a nice touch but we had to decline the offer as we had to return our hire car.
Our room was modern and well furnished, with touchpad lighting and heating controls, underfloor heating in the bathroom and a heated towel rail. The air conditioning worked well and was easy to control but the towel rail was a bit temperamental and did not seem to work if the underfloor heating was on aswell!
There was a turndown service each evening and we were given a small bear gift and a toiletries pamper pack of body wash and body lotion on the first night which was a very nice treat.
We were advised to make a reservation if we wanted to eat in the restaurant as there still not many restaurants open in Christchurch following the earthquake of 2011. We managed to eat out on our first night but having ignored the advice on the second night had to make do with room service as the Bistro was fully booked. We ordered the fillet and ribeye steaks which were delivered to our room within half an hour and tasted absolutely delicious and great value for $38 each.
We had a late afternoon flight on the day we checked out but were able to leave our cases with reception and enjoy a walk in the nearby Botanical Gardens.
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Christchurch Hotel
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tablet Hotels, Tingo, HotelTravel.com and Otel so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.