I seldom ever write a bad review, as I would prefer to never go back than to write bad things, however, The George in Christchurch has so much potential and just does not deliver, is it because all the good hotels have been flattened by the earthquakes or remain closed? It is especially tragic as there is such a dire need for Christchurch to have good hotels for business folks and tourists at this point in time.
Here goes, this hotel is a fairly new build so why are the rooms so poorly insulated against noise? and thats a hard one to fix folks, apart from the noise the rooms are great and I mean great, all you could want and more space than you need and I was in room 309. The light switches are just plain stupid but hey every designer wants to be a little out there.
Now the human factor, the restaurant staff all look busy, they rush about to achieve very little, but they clearly have little service skills and miss all sorts of little opportunities that when added together make a ok experience a great experience.
Some of these are simple, drink your own coffee, it's bitter and deliver the food hot not left on the counter till its less than hot!
Now for the management, either get some international experience on how a hotel could be run or actually watch and advise your staff members on how to deliver the very real promise that this hotel has.
Please improve, it's a great location, easy to find, walking distance from the old CBD
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tablet Hotels, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Olotels, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.