“Good location and good value” 5 of 5 stars

Heartland Hotel Cotswold
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   88-96 Papanui Road, Christchurch 8540, New Zealand   |
Ranked #63 of 139 hotels in Christchurch
Sydney, Australia
“Good location and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good service, good location and very 'ye olde' English in it's style in a tasteful rather than worn out tacky way. If you have got this far in your research you should consider this hotel. Not in the CBD of course (sadly there is no CBD) and probably best if you have a car although it was on what looked like a regular bus route.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Paul C,

Thank you for your comments about the hotel.
You are correct , we are located on the bus route to everywhere in town or major shopping centers.

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hong kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

There are no elevators in this hotel and no one offered us any help with our heavy luggage on two separate occasions that we checked into this hotel . Later in the evening , I saw another couple’s luggage being taken to the room by the staff, so I assumed I should I asked for help. Unfortunately we were booked to return back to this hotel on our way back to Auckland. This time we asked for help with luggage and the receptionist (male) said, rather rudely that the porter was off. He seemed too high and mighty to offer help to the guests himself. I personally do not think any person in the hospitality industry should find this job demeaning. His attitude was rotten. Had he said that the porter is off but he can help, we would have politely declined his offer anyhow.

This was our first visit to Christchurch so we asked at the reception for restaurant recommendations for dinner. This was around 5pm and the man at the reception directed us to Re:Start clearly stating that we will come across many eateries in this area. On reaching the area around Re:Start I was furious to find that everything was shut. Had the chap at reception forgotten that Re:Start normally shuts around 6 pm? The area was so dead and we walked for miles looking for a decent place to eat. I was exhausted soon and could be bothered looking anymore so ate at Burger King.

The rooms here are stuffy with thick dusty carpeting all over. There was too much unnecessary furniture in our room which made the room look like a dump. If you must stay at this hotel, avoid room 822 because incase the guests in the neighboring room are late sleepers and are using the bathroom till wee hours of the morning, the noise of the boiler and water running will keep you awake all night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CotswoldHM, Owner at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Saafari,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service that you have experienced.
This not our normal standard and you were correct in expecting more.

As I would like to persue internally your comment, can you please contact me, at your convenience, on
patrick.moittie@heartlandhotels.co.nz

I look forward to hear form you and once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here twice on our recent visit to South Island. When we arrived we were upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise. Later on our journey we had a regular room. Both accommodations were very good, the rooms spacious and clean, the beds excellent. We ate at the restaurant on both occasions for dinner; venison oso buco was superb, wait staff knowledgeable and friendly. The decor was Tudor style which some might find dated but we found quite charming. Internet was inexpensive $5 for 2 hours. We walked around the center city as much as we could. Much is cordoned off because of the devastating earthquake damage. It is really sad to see so many beautiful old buildings in various states of rubble or repair. There is a beautiful botanical garden and lovely parkland adjacent just down the street a few blocks which is very worthwhile visiting. An area of calm beauty.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear RMHBJH,

Thank you very much for your comments about our team, hotel and restaurant.

Chrsitchurch is on the rebuilt and we are fortunate to be close to Haygley Park and the Botanical garden.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome again so that you can experience our new city.

Booleroo Centre, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a one night stay at this motel, the room was large, clean and comfortable but a bit tired looking. The staff were obliging and efficient and the location was good with plenty of nearby shops and eating places and only a 20 min walk into the CBD. Breakfast was good but no free Wifi.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Hello dear Notafussytraveller,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the staff and the property.
We look forward to welcome you again.

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Romms are the best soft beds, soft pillows and a wonderful little surprise on arrival. Staff very friendly they really know what customer service is all about.

I try never to stay elsewhere when in CHCH

Room Tip: I have stayed in a number of rooms here and found all to be great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Robin M,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We care for your guests and I'm glad that you felt it.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Pattrick Moittie
Westport, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked my room online and picked a studio unit with a bath. On arrival to my room I found No bath, no toaster, no kitchen facilities or even a knife, bottle opener or plate. I queried the fact that there was no bath and told the receptionist that was the whole reason for choosing this room. Well only some rooms have baths . As for the kitchen facilities, you got the type of room you chose and this room does not have any kitchen facilities. I found her tone to be condescending and uncompromising. I consider that I should have been offered another room with the bath if one was available or else offered a refund on my prepaid accomodation, so that I could get what I wanted elsewhere. I found the whole experience totally distressing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Gail D,

I'm very sorry to read your comment and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
I do understand your reaction and the lack of empathy is not acceptable.
Unfortunately with online bookings it is very often impossible for the hotel to remburse directly the guest, you need to go through the booking website.

Should you wish to give another chance, please feel free to contact me directly.
Thank you and once again my sincere apologies

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Christchurch needs all the visitors it can get, the devastation in the city is heartbreaking, the CBD has effectively gone. The Cotswold is a large rambling place with a mock Tudor theme and oddities abounding. The room was huge and well laid out and you don't have to sit on the bed to watch TV. We had two bedrooms. There are limited washing machines available. In a road with several motels, I would stay here again. Good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Chase_Mollys

Thank you for your lovely comments about Christchurch and the hotel.
The city is busy rebuild itself and visitors are welcome.

Thanks

Patrick Moittie

Been to Heartland Hotel Cotswold? Share your experiences!