“Superb views of the ocean with great views & warm welcoming service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Salt On The Pier

Ranked #271 of 658 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Egyptian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Superb views of the ocean with great views & warm welcoming service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Visited salt on the pier with a large group today for lunch. Very very happy this cafe serves wonderful food. We selected from the cabinet & the menu & were not disappointed. The veggie filio is wonderful & the nachos were enough for 2 of our group to share.
Great coffee & friendly welcoming service. Will definitely be back soon & have booked in for their Sundag night special menu 3 courses for $22.50 now that's value for money!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Queenstown, New Zealand
“Thanks for ruining my 30th. Terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I phoned a month in advance to enquire about using the venue for a 30th. I was told by co owner Sharon that they don't do 21st's but would like to meet me to discuss having a 30th, to make sure I was a "savoury character". I drove 1hr15m from Methven to meet with Sharon. After meeting myself and a friend she told us that yes, they would let us use the facilities for a 30th. I was provided an information pack about venue hire and told that a deposit of $250 was required.

I received a call from their chef, Cheryl, who was a pleasure to deal with. She asked me what food options I was looking at and we discussed the option of large platters as opposed to their set menu @ $25 per person. She said she would check back with the owners and ask if this was OK.

She called back a few days later and said that no, platters were not an option. She said she would talk to the owners again and see if there was another option.

THREE DAYS out from the party I received a call from John, the other owner (who has a major attitude problem on the phone) and was told "NO WAY MATE, WE DON'T DO 30TH'S, YOU WERE CALLED LAST WEEK AND TOLD THIS, I HEARD THE CONVERSATION." There was NEVER any phone call informing me that I was now out of a venue and so with three days to find somewhere that didn't have anything on, on a Saturday night. I had to cancel my 30th.

With people coming from as far from Australia for it, anger doesn't even come close to what I am feeling right now.

John quoted that even if they did do 30th's, it states (in the info pack) that a minimum spend of $1000 for food on one tab must be achieved. All it states in the info pack is that a total of $1000 must be spent. It does not specify this is FOOD ONLY.

Maybe John and Sharon need to learn to communicate as business "professionals"

Utterly disgusted with this experience and the way it was dealt with, with John trying to push the blame on me and making false claims about an imaginary phone call.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had this restaurant recommended but were so disappointed. You can see the pier and the waves but it is more café style and not what we were looking for. The food was poor. Service was with a smile but we should have realised this is not a popular dining place as there were few customers that evening. It must be a day time lunch place -

Visited March 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“High expectations but didnt quite make it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had planned a dinner out with friends two weeks before Christmas. When we arrived we were amongst only a few other diners, which at that time of year, in itself should have rang a few alarm bells. It was a disappointment. The location and view excellent, I had assumed the owners would have used the location and seaside atmosphere to deliver a great seafood place to enjoy and do repeat visits. Sadly it was very average, not featuring seafoods as we had expected, One of the main meals we returned, which when redone, was adequate but did tend to spoil the moment. Prices are slightly on the high side relative to the quality of what is delivered in terms of service and food quality. It is unlikely that we will be making a return visit.
I should say that I am not one who gets pleasure from doing bad reviews, this is the first ever I have done that is mainly negative in tone.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good view but that's about it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Kite Day brought us back to New Brighton. This place is strategically located at the Pier with good view to the sea. The price iOS not over the top. However the good is pretty average. Full breakfast comes with supermarket grade sausages and hash browns. Gourmet burger is more like McDonald's with fancy beet root. Adjust the quality to keep cost down, as seems. Service is terrible due to user staff perhaps. The place isn't full yet we need to wait for long time to have the orders taken, and plus another life time for the dishes to come.

We want to support the rebuild but this iconic restaurant is letting itself going down the drain.

Not going back.