“Worse than Fawlty Towers!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Historic 100 year old Tudor style house, opp the Bridge of Remembrance - central city. Avon River frontage. 'One of Christchurch's best loved and most popular fine dining Restaurants where superb local food meets excellent service, style and atmsophere'. Specialising in regional food and wine
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Worse than Fawlty Towers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Not sure where to start. In summary very expensive and very poor service. When we arrived they collectively looked down their noses at us but did agree to show us to a table. The menu was incredibly limited. My wife chose a warm goats cheese salad and the cheese was actually colder than the salad! The lamb I had for main course was fine but all the vegetables were cold, not warm but cold. As a response to our concerns the hopeless waiter, after expressing surprise and also disbelief, offered us a free coffee which we declined as that would probably be cold as well. AVOID!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Extreemly Disapointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had pre organised to have a candle and happy birthday writing on the dessert for my partners birthday celebration, which didn't happen.

When I went to pay I brought this to the owners attention, who proceeded to fumble about nervously, tell me that people usually bring there own as they don't have any and I should have told the waitress! I said that i had pre organised this with you already, and if it was BYO candle, you should have told me! And telling the waitress before or after the fact would ruin the suprize! She proceeded to argue with me and did not offer an apology.

Never in my life have I had to take candles to a restaurant!

Also, the tonic water was flat in my partners drink, which was overpriced at $12.
The waitress didn't offer cracked pepper on our mains, so we asked for it and she had to go scavenging around the restaurant to get some off another table, they only had 2 sets of PLASTIC salt & pepper grinders in the whole restaurant!

AND owner lady, we can see you from the restaurant scraping out a pot then licking the spoon!!! Disgusting!

Service was slow and waitress was not confident. Staff appearance and standard of dress was not up to standard.

When your paying $44 for a steak, $22 for 3 scollops and a tiny square of salmon, you would think that writing happy birthday in a bit of chocolate on the dessert plate and chuck a candle in it would be no issue.

I will never go back to Tiffany's again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
“Overpriced and underwhelming!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I rang the restaurant in the morning and was told the only time available was 6:00 pm. When we arrived the restaurant was virtually empty. A Chinese tour group arrived and were served bread and dips immediately. We waited quite a while for our food to come-the costs were really exhorbitant and we were saved from paying a huge bill by our two Entertainment Book Gold Cards. We opted out of dessert and went home where we managed to put together something which was probably equal to anything they might have produced. Service for the price was not wonderful and when we left the restaurant was still half empty!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dunedin, New Zealand
“quantity,service,pricing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A family celebration for my partners 72nd birthday paid for by my daughter and son-in-law on 2nd feb for four of us costing over $300 WAS DISAPPOINTING. ex entree $22 3 SCALLOPS AND A MOUTHFUL OF SALMON. Bottle of wine $50.00 PLUS SCREW TOP CORKAGE PAID glasses filled once would expect better service and glasses topped up. wine brought out no glasses on table. mAIN MEAL CAME OUT COLD BY THE TIME HOT POTATOES AND VEGES CAME OUT. slow to take entree dishes away was not sked if meal ok just assumed. We declined dessert and went to Strawberry Fair where we had great service and fantastic dessert. i Highly reccommend this place, They now have a full menu eg entree,main, dessert which we will avail of ourselves next time up fromDunners..

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great quality and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We dined here for our anniversary in January last year. It is priced for fine dining, but delivers and is worth it for a special occasion.