“French cuisine at its best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 576 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: St Germain was opened in September 2008 by French brothers Frederic and Vincent. Born and raised in Brittany, the brothers aim to provide you a real French dining experience using local products in an elegant and cosy atmosphere. St Germain's diversity makes it the perfect place to enjoy food and wine, whether you would like to share a fabulous meal with friends, for a romantic dinner, or when dining with a larger group. We can cater for all.
Wellington, New Zealand
“French cuisine at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Don't be put off by finding a French restaurant in a fake Tudor building - it's what happens in post-earthquake Christchurch. This is classical French dining and can't be faulted. The food is wonderful, the wine list an extensive Frech smorgasbord, and the atmosphere delightful. I had the escargots, duck cassoulet, and crepes suzettes - all quintessential French and as good as I've had anywhere. We were a family party celebrating a 60th weeding anniversary and the staff took extra special care of the elderly parents. Thank you! I can highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be returning next time I'm in town.

• Visited October 2013

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Best degustation dinner while in New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Enjoyed the 8 course degustation offering. At the start, a brief explanation of the meal and wines to come. Detailed explanation of each course and the wine pairing.

Atmosphere was rustic and the service excellent. Each course was a delight and the wines well matched to each. Food was wonderful, fresh and well plated.

expensive but well worth the money spent. Maitre D was kind enough to send as an e-mail detailing the meal we had.

Will visit again when back in Christchurch.

• Visited March 2013
Perth, Australia
“Wonderful French dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I booked this restaurant as I am a fan of French dining and I was not disappointed.

I had the 8 course surprise menu with matching wines and each dish was prepared perfectly. The matched wines also complemented the dishes well.

The service is efficient and pleasant. The restaurant is housed in the ground floor of a motel since the quake but the decor seems to match the authentic French experience. The restaurant is run by three French brothers so you cannot get more authentic than that!

I would recommend this to anyone who loves French food or simply wants a good dining experience in Christchurch

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good French food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food with superb service in simple stylish surrounds. Let me clarify, " Fine Dining" is an obsolete term these days, regardless of that it never made it to NZ in the first place. I love this restaurant for its simplicity and great food.

Visited August 2013
New Zealand
“Magnificent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was visiting Christchurch for meetings and decided to take my son and two of his female flatmates out for dinner. Wanting to steer them away from the usual uni student 'alehouses' I asked my son to choose somewhere they wouldn't normally go. They chose St Germain. While I am familiar with French restaurants none of them had ever been to one. What a brilliant choice this was! We arrived and were offered seats in the lounge off the bar area. Us ladies had a mimosa cocktail (son being the sober driver!) and a lovely platter of bread and olive tapenade was given to us to enjoy - this was complimentary. We then moved through to our table. I thought the young'uns might be put off by the very French background music but they said they liked it - it made the place special. From the entrees including escargot, which they all had a taste of, and the quail which my son thought was delicious, to the mains of duck, fish and tasty vegetarian options, and finally the desserts - creme brulee to die for! The girls and I enjoyed a lovely Chenin Blanc which the waiter helped us choose from the extensive wine list. Many thanks to the wonderful staff at St Germain who made this a magnificent first experience of French fine dining for three young people and one old hand! I highly recommend this restaurant and I can't wait to go back there the next time I am in Christchurch.

• Visited September 2013