“Better than the photos” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Better than the photos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I saw that this place was 2nd in the city on trip advisor but the photos made me think it looked like a motel that was a bit dated in decor and furnishings. I was wrong. It has a lovely duvet cover, clean and good quality sheeting, clean & modern bathroom and great shower! I didn't have a spa room but was really happy regardless. Friendly and happy staff. Sky tv including some movie channels and electric blankets! I would definitely come back. I've stayed at many motels in chch over the past year and this is the best.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Otago Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Staying with family our two-bedroom had loads of room and all the little extras you don't always get. The staff were very friendly and we were very impressed with the total experience.
Located on the city end of Riccarton Rd it ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is a very cozy motel in the heart of Christchurch. The apartment is not very large but has enough space and is extremely clean. The most important thing about this motor lodge is the people who run it, who are extremely efficient and caring. Our scenic train was delayed and they had to close their office before we arrived. However, they took all care to see that our stay was comfortable. The keys were left accessible, there was milk in the fridge for coffee, the wifi password was kept on table and a cab was booked for next day to take us to our destination.

Amazing guys well done!! Will surely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

The Lorenzo Motor Lodge was our choice in Christchurch thanks to good reviews on Trip Advisor and did not disappoint. The Lorenzo is just a short drive from the airport and less than a 30 minute walk to the center of town. A lovely park is nearby and dining opportunities are close, including the highly recommended Dux Dine just a couple of doors down. Your hostess Ping at the Lorenzo is very helpful and makes you feel right at home. Thank you Ping for a great stay!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We are a family of 4 who stayed at the Lorenzo Motor Lodge June 2014. I would highly recommend this hotel to any family with young children. The rooms are clean with a modern feel, good TV channel selection and DVDs available. Ping, who runs the hotel, is extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is well located to visit Christchurch City, has plenty of parking for hire cars, and there is no shortage of restaurants / fast food outlets in the Riccarton area. I would particularly recommend Cafe Cismo directly opposite for excellent food / coffee.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Butte, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

After traveling for a week in New. Zealand with expensive wi-fi and minimal laundry facilities, it was a pleasure to find free wi-fi and a convenient laundry. The room was large and well furnished. The staff were very friendly and in fact presented us with a bottle of a local wine named "Montana" when they found out we were from the U.S. State so named. This Lodge was a great place to stay. Close to down town and near the college.

Room Tip: Ground floor was easiest to access from our vehicle, but all rooms were easy to get to. There is no...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

After an error in booking a 2-day stay online, I immediately called to explain the problem. Despite several conversations, I was told that I would still be billed a night's stay although they could not accommodate the two consecutive days that I wanted.

To make a long story short, I was billed despite not being accepted on the day they were holding me to. I have now received a partial refund by Lorenzo (refund minus the booking.com commission) after I have spent hours trying to resolve this issue. This includes a personal visit to the front desk while I was still in Christchurch and well as lodging complaints with some of the tourism entities of New Zealand.

While I have now been refunded the majority of my money, the fact remains that this was, I believe, an underhanded and unfair billing practice to charge me for an aberrant booking when the error was acknowledged immediately and despite the fact that I did show up for the day I was being billed for.

In detail:
I was charged by the Lorenzo Motor Lodge in spite of the fact that nobody was at the desk to allow me to check in. Now, after spending a number of hours lodging complaints and using multiple resources, I have been refunded the majority of my money. I had several problems with the booking (booking.com) and after numerous booking errors and attempt at booking directly through the Lorenzo site, I finally got a confirmation email with the wrong dates (April 1 and 2 instead of the intended April 3 and 4). I IMMEDIATELY called Lorenzo to explain the mistake but got no answer.

The following day I called again and she (Ping) acknowledged a booking error and would not charge me for the night that had already passed but would still hold me to the one remaining night, even though they could not give me my original 2 consecutive nights. I explained in detail about the mistake and she explained in detail that she would still be charging me. I admit I was not happy about being held to a single night when Christchurch was one of the very few 2-night stops on my NZ vacation.

When I arrived on the 3rd there was nobody responding to the front desk, and their marquee said there was still vacancy. Soon after I left, Ping called my cell phone and acknowledged she had seen me at the desk (I guess by CCTV). I told her I had found another room and she said OK and it seemed as if everything was. She then turned on the "no vacancy" sign. I know this because I was across the street at Nando's eating dinner! I can't believe she still charged me after not only the original confusion but the following discussion and then not even allowing me to check in! This was not at a strange hour, it was about 20:20!

Our communication was very clear and I am very disappointed to see that she has charged me. There are two charges on my credit card totaling about $180 USD, and this was charged the day after I received NO LODGING.

This is the worst lodging experience (actually I was never able to spend a night at Lorenzo) I have experienced in travel throughout the US, across Russia, China (twice), Norway, Puerto Rico, and New Zealand (twice). This was absolutely not worth my time and effort and I wish I had never had contact with Lorenzo Motor Lodge. Take this into consideration along with the substantial number of positive reviews.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LorenzoMotorLodge, Owner at Lorenzo Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello Scott, I need explain your bookings on my side. We received your bookings for 2 nights stay from 01/04/2014-03/04/2014 for non refundable room type from Booking.com. Non refundable room means when we received your bookings, we can charge your credit card directly for the whole 2 nights booking and no cancellation policy apply. You should read clearly when you made bookings. We leave the lights on for the whole night to wait your arrival, but you didn't show the first night. Next morning you ring me you didn't say anything you want to cancelled your booking, so we still keep your room for the 2nd night. At 8pm, I went to the rooms to shut unsold rooms blind and close the window and turn the lights on for each arriving guest room including your room , if nobody in the office you should wait until I come back( you can't wait 2 or 3 minutes? ), that's why when I come back to the office and I ring you to double check your bookings( I am thing you maybe late arrival for that night) ; you told me you find another place just cross the road???? That's why we charge you for the first night. And after you send me the email about your credit card charge, I am happy to refund you $132.05 after commission and I believe your said you made mistake.

Another thing, we are not fully booked on that night, after I ring you , you said you stay in another place, so I put " no Vacancy " on, before I go to bed. It doesn't mean we sold out all rooms.

Therefore, when you made booking, please clearly read all terms and conditions.

Been to Lorenzo Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!