“Earthquake Dining !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 82 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: Brazilian, Italian, Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Inspired by a small town in southern Brazil, part of the state Rio Grande do Sul. Gramado is renowned for its fine wine, international cuisine, and chocolate.Come in to a cozy, warm place for dinner or drinks. Enjoy the three different atmospheres; The lounge, with inviting sofas and fire - The bar - And separate dinning area.
Nelson, New Zealand
“Earthquake Dining !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Found this excellent little bistro / bar on trip advisor as it was ranked number 1 so this was the attraction for my wife and I on a weekend break in Blenheim. Gotta say we had a fantastic night and had one of the most relaxing and enjoyable dining experiences. Although the initial greeting was somewhat lacking, we were eventually looked after like we were long lost friends but the excellent, fun and very friendly owner. We sat by the fire and just relaxed whilst our orders were taken and beer and wine delivered. Our orders were taken by a lovely young waitress who causually took our orders whilst sitting on the floor beside us (this has to be a first but this is New Zealand!) I had the Squid, which was fine but would have preferred it not too be battered but it was still enjoyable and lots of it. We ordered the steak and the fish and still sat and drank a very good bottle of red whilst our mains were being cooked. No hurry or pressure to move and then the Earthquakes started. We had 2 quite big aftershocks that were somewhat alarming. Have to say everyone of the team just got on with their work and made sure were were OK so this was all very reassuring. Then we got to choose our table and sat down to await our mains. My wife's fish was very good and cooked in an unusual creamy fragrant sauce. Very good. However, my steak was magnificent, perfectly cooked and plenty of it. It would have to be one of the best steaks I have had in NZ - I choose the mushroom sauce to go with it and it worked really well as the sauce was rich and thick and full of flavour. The owner then brought 3 bottles of white wine to the table and gave my wife 3 samples to try with her fish, allowing her to choose the best one to compliment her meal...which we thought was a lovely touch. This was followed by the biggest Quake of the evening and the a big jolt but no-one seemed to care as the wine was flowing and everyone was in good spirits. Formal dining this is not but if you want a very good meal (puddings were great too) at a fair price with a very relaxed atmosphere and very friendly and caring and fun staff, then this place is for you. Some restaurants miss things and these guys were no exception but we had such a lovely time and the team were so nice that it did not matter. Again if you are looking for formal dining with 5 star service this is not for you but if you want great honest food served in a relaxed and informal way for a good price, then we really recommend this place. Enjoy and thank you for a great evening.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Blenheim, New Zealand
“Fantastic Meal, Fantastic Service :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

~*~A big group of us went to Gramado's for my birthday. The service was excellent and everyone loved their meals . . . unfortunately we enjoyed our meals too much and couldn't fit in dessert, but definitely will next time.~*~

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Great little restaurant, excellend food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went along for my Wife's birthday, based on reccomendations from friends and trip advisor. Were very empressed with the menu, wine list and atmosphere. It was fairly busy so there was a bit of a wait, but that is to be expected. Both our meals were amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“Nice food; long wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I visited this restaurant based on our motel owner's recommendation. Initially, we were told that there was a delay in getting the meals out, but we didn't expect that to mean 60 minutes! The food was well presented and delicious but quite small portions. The waitress was friendly enough but complained about being tired and wanting to get home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gramados, Owner at Gramado's, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I really appreciated your review my dear costumer.
I am happy to hear that our waitress informed you that we were serving meals with a delay, I just would've liked that she also had explained the reason behind this. We unfortunately lost power after the earthquake for to go back on just as everyone arrived. Equipment still had to heat back up and we had to make sure everything was clear before service. As you ordered a light meal they are substantially smaller servings than the mains. We have also had a chat to our waitress and we appreciate you letting us know, any kind of complaining from staff to costumer it is a BIG no no.

Hope to see you again to enjoy a dinner with us at Gramado's Restaurant again.

Saulo and Emma Camillo Nunes
Blenheim
“Absolutely Fabulous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have now been here a total of three times and on every occasion the service and food has been outstanding!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere