I’d like to preface our review by noting that, during our 17-day trip to NZ, my husband and I stayed at 9 different accommodations throughout the South Island. That being said, my husband and I were quick to agree: Stonehaven was by far our favorite accommodation of the trip- whether B&B, Boutique, or Cottage.
Hosts John and Paulette (and black lab Bessie) have a wonderful home- both comfortable and warm- which is only rivaled by the genuine warmth they show to all of their guests. Due to our itinerary, we regrettably could only spend 2 nights at Stonehaven. When we had to leave- as if leaving close family- we truly hoped we would return soon!
Stonehaven is very conveniently located a short bike ride or drive to many local wineries including fantastic lunch spots and dinner options. Our advice; however, is to bypass the overpriced Herzog degustation meal in exchange for dining-in at Stonehaven
1) Bigger portions.
2) Better conversation
3) Absolutely wonderful meal by the marvelous Paulette who is an incredible cook!
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal of NZ green lipped mussels and lamb, made perfect by the great wine pairings.
The room in which we stayed had a comfortable bed, large ensuite bathroom; was smartly decorated and very clean. The view across the vineyard towards the mountains was spectacular. Breakfast at Stonehaven was another treat beyond our expectations - one of the many highlights of our stay (kudos again to Paulette’s talent in the kitchen!) All in all- we can only give highest recommendations to this fantastic stay.
An extra note: being a younger couple in our 20s, my husband and I both agree that at a few other accommodations, we sometimes sensed a little less “warmth” from some of the hosts with which we came in contact. Perhaps we imagined the inauthentic feelings we felt, or perhaps these were exhibited equally towards all patrons by the particular host, but NOT SO at Stonehaven. We experienced the most genuine of friendliness and graciousness to each guest, a quality that would bring us back again to stay at Stonehaven in a flash!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 5 STAR QUALMARK GUEST & HOSTED AND ENVIRO SILVER AWARD. Stonehaven Homestay is situated amongst 20 acres of Sauvignon Blanc vines in the heart of sunny Marlborough's wine country, within easy walking or cycling distance of our most renowned wineries. Experience genuine, generous 'kiwi' hospitality - your comfort and a relaxing stay are our top priorities. The two Guest Rooms (King NZ$288 per night & Queen NZ$262 per night have exquisite vineyard & mountain views). Each room has a spacious en-suite bathroom with all the amenities you could wish for including underfloor heating, heated towel rail, bathrobes & toiletries. Rooms have bar fridges with complimentary goodies, Tea & Coffee making facilities with fresh home-baking, complimentary Port and Sherry, TV, electric blankets etc.Our delicious 'White Linen' Breakfast is a Stonehaven specialty and features home-grown & local produce - guaranteed to set you up for the day. Three course evening dining is available by arrangement. Book-A-Bike bicycle and scooter hire is based at Stonehaven. Have a fun day cycling around the wineries or take a scooter for a sight-seeing tour of the district for a taste of what Marlborough has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Stonehaven Homestay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stonehaven Homestay Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand