“Superb food, gorgeous setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 656 Restaurants in Wellington
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
York
“Superb food, gorgeous setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My parents-in-law brought my husband and I to Cobar in Days Bay for lunch in April 2010. I have just remembered what a great meal we had and thought I ought to post a review.
We arrived pretty much as they were finishing lunch service but we were shown to a table by a really cheery guy (wish I could remember your name, sorry) and we were not made to feel rushed once. We then had a lovely leisurely lunch on the outdoor patio overlooking Wellington harbour. My husband grew up in Wellington but he was still impressed with the setting.
Superb food all round, a great choice from a super wine list and a great view. What more could you want for a lovely lunch?
I guess this place has a great evening atmosphere and I'd love to come back again one day. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wellington, New Zealand
“A transformation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I began my meal with roasted mushroom custard, rocket, pickled mushrooms, roasted hazelnuts with a thyme dressing. My partner who chose not to have an entree. I chose this dish simply because the notion of mushroom custard intrigued me imagining a hot firm custard, something close to a souffle. What arrived was a chilled deliciously delicate custard. The taste was more fresh mushroom than roast mushroom with the consistency of a creme brulee. Simply put it was delicious. I'd order it again.

My main course was Butterfish with mushroom fricassee, green beans, roasted parsnip and wilted spinach. My partner had beef fillet & braised shin, confit garlic mash, roasted mushroom, smoked aubergine and spinach. For sides we had roasted yams in a truffled honey dressing. The presentation of the dish was excellent, the mushroom fricassee served in a tiny cast iron cooking pot the size of an egg cup, with the lid concealing a small amount of parsnip mash with a slide of some herbal dressing. Each part of the dish was separated from the other enablng you to move between the different flavours or enjoy them together. I loved the looked and the flavours did not disappoint either. Full marks - as good as the Intercontinental Tahiti but without the view of Moorea. The view of Wellington as the sunsets across the harbour is however a lot more accessible! I accompanied my meal with a Man O' War Chardonnay from Waiheke Island which flooded the table with its bouquet on arrival on the table. I'm certainly ordering a case! My partner had a cabernet sauvignon which doesn't seem to be listed on their web site wine list.

For dessert we both had rhubarb tarte tatin, milk jam, rhubarb sorbet with mint crumble. Although lovely to look at, the tarte tatin didn't quite make the grade for me consisting of a round of flaky pastry topped with soldier like pieces of beautifully cooked rhubarb standing to attention. Perhaps the addition of a thin arrowroot glaze would have completed the dish? We accompanied this with an Alana Estate "LAperitif", a simple clean dessert Riesling which promised citrus flavours.

We've been to this restaurant when it branded itself more as a cafe/bistro but it has come along leaps and bounds since then. We'd certainly return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beaconsfield, Bucks
“Best Restaurant in Wellington!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

We found this on the off chance whilst driving along the penisula and decided to try it. Never has blind luck been so fortunate! We were warmly welcomed without a reservation and not looking particularly well dressed (well, we are travelling round NZ in a campervan!) and shown to a table.
The menu is small but the quality of the meat, fish and veg options makes this immaterial. The service was impeccable and the views as the sun set are to die for. Best food we have had in NZ.