“Quiet, central Wellington Apartment” 5 of 5 stars

You added Astelia Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Astelia Apartment Hotel
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   156 Willis Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“Quiet, central Wellington Apartment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for work and a couple of times with my wife for visits to Wellington.

We stayed here last weekend for one night and again found it perfect for the quick visit to the capital.

It's really quiet and the staff make it so easy and efficient to check in and out. No hassles, they make great arrangements for the late arrivals I've had as well.

Greaet value for money and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Greymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a fantastic location - very central for city exploration. However..... as some of the other reviewers have mentioned it is noisy. Didn't notice the street noise was actually the other rooms around. Doors slamming shut, elevator "pinging" when arriving at floor, rooms above, heavy footsteps, next door cupboards opening and closing, water running etc. Other major issue was air conditioning - there isn't any. We had an opening window and did open it except it started raining which was fine initially but then the wind came up and the rain straight inside so didn't want to ruin their window sill so had to close the window. Very humid and no way to cool the room down. Rooms not serviced and don't recall this being mentioned on the website when making the booking. Not really an issue as only there 3 nights but really after 3 nights think servicing should be done - week between services is too long and since you're paying same rate each night then really something should be done if only to take away the rubbish and top up toiletries, change dish cloth etc. I mention the rubbish because if not being serviced then should at least provide decent size rubbish bin - one in kitchen was pathetic. Front office staff generally friendly enough - did feel had to say good morning/hello etc to them first though - would have been nicer for them to initiate the contact.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

When I checked in, I was told that I had been upgraded to a one-bedroom apartment, which sounded great. The apartment looked clean and new. Unfortunately, it was right on the first floor, and facing the street. Even without opening the window, the street noise was annoying, especially as I was planning to stay inside to work. Plus in my booking I had asked for a quiet room. The lady at the reception told me they were fully booked and the best she could do was to put me just one floor up, which I accepted - it had to be better than the first one. At least I could keep the windows slightly open, as it was a hot day (no air conditioning). The apartment on the second floor looked considerably less new, but it still contained everything necessary even for a long-term stay (I only stayed one day). I had booked through Booking.com so it was good value.
I liked the location, convenient for the airport bus and for Te Papa. There is even a supermarket nearby, and there were taxis along the street.

Room Tip: I had asked for a quiet room, and it did not work!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have stayed here when it was under different management and named Stratford on Willis back in June 2012 and found it a great spot in central Wellington. No views per say, but this is purely a place to stay. We were on the 10th floor this stay and unfortunately struck a party on the floor above us - after making two calls as per the suggestion of the Noise Card placed in the room the party still went on till around 3:30am. When we spoke to the desk in the morning we were informed that the 11th floor was not part of the Astelia Apartments and that it was probably Friday Night Drinks going on - shame the person we spoke to at 11:30pm and then again at 1:30am didn't let us know that - but we do understand that this situation was a little difficult and beyond their control. Saturday night was peaceful, thank goodness, but not sure if we will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Comfortable room, not serviced but good facilities. We were on the 5th floor and noise was a problem, also a warm humid night and no aircon. We would stay again but request a room at the rear. good cafe's and bars nearby.

Room Tip: Book room at rear or an upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunedin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We booked a one bedroom apartment for five nights from 27th Dec to 1 January and we were really impressed with these apartments. Five nights is quite a long time so we were so pleased to see that it was quite roomy with the bedroom behind the lounge/kitchen so the street noise was kept to a minimum even though these apartments are not double glazed. We were only two floors up so we were expecting a little bit of noise especially over New Year but it wasn't a problem. Also noise from other rooms was not a problem either. Obviously there were other guests there but we didn't hear anything! Only down side is that this place is not serviced at all unless you stay longer than a week so we had to buy toilet rolls and some washing powder for the washing machine. This apartment has just had a name change and asks for advice on how to improve their services. I think that this was the only down side of our stay and I think they should look at that. A traveller does not want to have to buy dishwashing liquid or washing machine products while away. Cleanliness was great, and while there is no view from this apartment we were out so much that we only came back to sleep anyway. This apartment did not have reception during our stay because of holidays so I did wonder how we were going to store our bags, but it wasn't a problem as we left them at their other apartment round the road. This apartment was so handy to every where, Cuba Street cafes, Te Papa, Cable Car etc and the New World Metro is down the next block for your groceries. At $115 through Wotif this is great value for inner city Wellington.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up if you are worried about street noise and if you get one facing the street...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a queen apartment which faced Willis St. It was less than 15 minutes walk to TePapa Museum where I needed to be each day so it was an easy morning walk. It's in a street that is dead on a Sunday, but interesting during the week. Room was large; clean and pleasant, bathroom was tiny, washer/dryer was beyond me. I did find the bed a bit spongy; I suspect that the mattress has never been flipped and maybe the two joined beds that form the giant bed could be swapped. Overall I'd give it close to a 4 but they lose out on the mattress

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Astelia Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!