“Loved everything expect the frosted glass wall!” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Featherston Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Loved everything expect the frosted glass wall!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Rydges Wellington for a weekend away from home. The room was nice and tidy, and the bed was very comfortable. In the room there was even a small kitchen with a microwave and a sink which was a surprise. Bathroom was nice and big enough for us. But the frosted glass wall!!! We hated it. If the toilet was not right next to the wall it could have been a bit more acceptable. But it's just so embarrassing to have it so clearly visible so I definitely won't go back there unless I travel alone. Not even with my husband!

It's a shame because I like everything else about the hotel. The spa/pool/sauna area is very nice and a lovely place to relax. The staff at the reception were OK, but those girls in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast (included in the room rate) was of very good value, with pancakes and even a juicer for fresh juice to start the day. We was a bit late for our breakfast but the staffnever rushed us and even allowed us to stay at the table finishing our newspapers. Overall it was a very enjoyable stay.

Rydges is very close to the railway station and bus stops. A short walk to the Parliament Buildings/the Beehive and the Lambton Quay and fairly close to the water front. It's not too close to Courtney Place which is the entertainment centre of Wellington. But unless the weather is bad, it's a pleasant walk along the waterfront or the shops.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I chose to stay here as it is the closest hotel to Wellington Railway station, and with the Overlander leaving at 0725 I wanted to be as close as possible. It was $20 more for two adults and a child than a 3* hotel, so not bad on the value front. Check in was professional if a little impersonal, but I certainly didn't feel unwelcome. The room, although the cheapest option for our stay, was stylish & comfortable. I took my daughter for a swim and there were floating toys (eg rings and noodles) for her, and the pool was a perfect temperature- not so hot as to make a good swim tiring. I was surprised at the lack of hotel information in our room, the only Rydges literature was the room service menu- prices for that looked good and the choices appetising. However, with Wellington's selection of eateries who would eat in a hotel?

Check out was quick and easy, I don't envy foreign travellers getting stung with a credit card surcharge though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Wellington, NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night and slept really well. great location close to the station and a decent bar downstairs but I would have liked to have had a bit more privacy - screening or something similar as it's all part of the lobby area and not seperate at all. Would recommend and stay again although I noted that the spa pool and swimming pool were closed, so check before you stay.

This hotel was formerly the Holiday Inn and when I stayed there then, the staff then were better, more friendly and interested I think

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The hotel was recently changed from a Holiday Inn to a Rydges hotel, you can tell.. as some of the furniture and signs still have the Holiday Inn trademark. The only niggles i had was the crazy price for internet $30 a day, and there was no laundry facilities apart from the in room option, when a $2 washing machine/dryer is much better. They have a free to join reward club ( join it!!!) You get 20% off food/drink at the hotel and 50% off internet fee's, so its well worth it. The pool/sauna/hot tub were nice and had a good view of the city. The room's were spacious and some amazing views if you get a top floor view.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We enjoyed our stay here and will be back great rooms pool and food was good too.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We picked this hotel because there was a great deal going on wotif.com so I snapped up the deal straight away seeing as we had to stay in Wellington anyway for my friend’s wedding. Although we got a deal on the room, it was a well-appointed room and we could see the mountains as well as the harbour. We very much enjoyed out stay. The room itself was lovely and spacious. My only concern was that because it was so windy (typical Wellington), the curtains had a little rod thing (to aid drawing the curtains) which kept banging on the glass which was a little annoying when it finally woke me up during the night. But other than that we had a wonderful time. The staff were very helpful, especially on our check out day. We had a domestic flight to Auckland that night but we had to check out in the morning. But they held our luggage so that we could go and explore the city. I’m sure a lot of hotels do this, but they made us feel like they would take good care of our bags. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Oh and also, the restaurant there was lovely! Very trendy and the food was YUM. We had breakfast included in our deal as well and we very much enjoyed the fresh fruit, eggs sausages hash browns each morning. It was great!

I think we paid about $120 per night for 2 people so I thought it was a really good deal :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stay here every month for work on the 12-14th floor. My view is normally of the Beehive which is very close walking distance. Another view i unfortunately end up occasionally is of the old post office. You can pay extra for a sea view and slightly better room but why bother? Its not like your going to sit around for hours in your room staring out at the view because Wellington is a great city, so much to see and do!
I joined the Rydges Priority Club online (free) a while ago, so now every time i get to my room there is a lovely note with my name on it & the number of stays i am up to, along with a list of 'whats on in WLG' and a complimentary magazine which i really appreciate. Joining the priority club also gets you a % off any price online and a complimentary drink when you check in - although i have never been offered a drink so i must ask next week when i go back there.
Rooms are very comfortable and the decor is romantic/calm/stylish. I always have a room with a kitchen - if you need any utensils/pots/pans or extra dishes etc, you just ring and ask! Its never a problem. Free fresh milk is also available to be delivered & newspaper - just ask when you check in. Sometimes they run out of papers.
Bathroom is a wee bit small, yet functional. There is a semi-see through glass screen separating the bedroom/bathroom - i have noticed that some rooms have black out shutters to avoid your better half seeing your shadow and some rooms lack them. Not sure whats going on there.
Staff are always very pleasant. Plenty of cafe's around for breakfast - hotel buffet is too pricey to justify & no view.
Pool, spa and closet gym available (gym has 1 treadmill 1 bike) however you can get a free pass to City Fitness which is a good 5min "warm up" walk just up the road and it is huge and has everything you will need.
20min internet is free every day using their hotel laptop - you get it from reception.Sometimes they freeze or sign out early so i just tell them and they give me another 20min net code. Being a Rydges Priority Guest you get 50% off 24 hour internet deal.
Airport bus ($8) stops on Quay Street (main st) and you can easily walk from there. Shuttles about $20-30) and taxi about $40.
Supermarket (new world) is just across the road in the train station.
This is a great hotel, lovely staff, some nice views and a great location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Rydges Wellington? Share your experiences!