“The WORST” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   21-23 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, New Zealand   |
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“The WORST”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Cramped, smelly, soiled sheets, terrible noise, rude staff. The price was $20 each, which was far too much for a flea ridden dirty blanket. The window was broken, so it was freezing. There was gum stuck on the walls (five pieces in a line), there was a hole in the wall, the noise was terrible. The staff were unhelpful, we asked to use the internet and paid $5 to find out the next day it was $3 and the staff member had pocketed the rest! When we first arrived, they gave us the wrong keys, too! The bathrooms were covered in mould, the floor was sticky and wet - which is a health hazard. The kitchen had a few stoves, many of the elements were not working. There is a no alcohol rule, but the floor I stayed on smelled of beer and weed, so it's not enforced. I would NEVER stay here again, left covered in insect bites and couldn't enjoy my holiday because I couldn't sleep.

Room Tip: my advice - sleep somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

$31 is was too much for a tiny bed in a smelly, hot 4 bed dorm. I paid for 2 nights but reception ony booked me in for one. Alcohol is not allowed on sight (except when its purchased in their own bar), so why was the locker under my bed full of empties? Likewise the glass recycling bin? The tiny kitchen was filthy and had rat poison in it! Two, 2 slice toasters for the whole hostel - both of which were broken. There were no dish cloths available to dry up for entire duration of my visit, consequently there were rarely any clean cooking or eating utensils. The noise from the bar, dining room and smoking area made this a very noisy hostel until 2am and then, come morning, the "lounge area" (2 sofas in the dining room) was completely taken up by unconscious drunks from the night before. I gave up after 2 nights and moved to Downtown Backpackers - which was everything Base isn't. Don't stay here if you want to sleep or eat!

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed here for the Hobbit premiere. We had a double ensuite room and scored an amazing little balcony which overlooked Courtney Place, so we even had a view of the Red Carpet from our room. Obviously the whole place was packed, and our sleep was interrupted by parties and loud noise, but that's standard for a hostel, especially when it was such a busy and exiting time.

The facilities were reasonable, a laundry, large kitchen and lounge area, but the kitchen was filthy! Again, probably a result of the busy period, however, I really do feel that it would be a good idea to supply cloths for wiping down benches, and replace the disgusting dish-brushes.

Our bed was very comfortable, a full sized double, as opposed to the double-bunks you sometimes get at hostels, and the bathroom was small but nice. The staff were nice and helpful. All in all, we had a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Wellington base is pretty basic. The floor we stayed on stank of weed, the toilet and shower facilities are less then basic, and the bunks are designed for midgets with years of graffiti stories on. Glad I was only here for a night

• Stayed October 2012
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Avoid this place at all costs. Location may be great and price per room is good but it is an absolutely horrible place. Staff are unfriendly, rude and just come across like they don't want to be there, bathrooms are disgusting and rooms are overcrowded. Worst hostel I stayed in in Wellington. If you wanna go get pissed every night and don't care where you sleep base is fine. If however you're not 18 there are several other nicer hostels in Wellington which are less expensive and far nicer. Avoid Base like the plague.

• Stayed March 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed in the women only sanctuary rooms - great central location, bathroom cleanliness was ok and they were cleaned regularly. Underbed locker was convenient but a little small for a large backpack. The staff are all people travelling and staying there which means they have insight. The nightclub underneath the building was very student/backpacker orientated and noise in the rooms average. As far as backpackers go this was nice, noise and interruptions were minimal - nice communal hangout area - would stay there again

Room Tip: Stay in Sanctuary floors (women only) or check which rooms you are in because at the higher floors w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were a group of six that went to Wellington over a weekend. We had heard that the service would be good so we took a shot. The service WAS good, but that was pretty much the only good thing about this hostel.

It was dirty all over, the beds were extremely uncomfortable and our room smelled HORRIBLE - and the windows didn't open. We had to keep our door open at all time when we were in the room, which wasn't that fun since we had the room beside the men's bathroom and guys kept walking by. Our floor was carpeted and had such growse stains that I kept my shoes on the entire time. The bathroom was dirty and had spots, which they might have been able to remove if they did clean.

The price was much too expensive for what you got. They explain it with their location, but there were many hostels in the area, and Wellington is such a small city that you don't really need the perfect location.

Also, after my stay they sent me an e-mail, wanting me to tell them how my stay was. I told them what I thought and gave them 4/10. After an hour they answered me and started to DEFEND themselves, which I though was wierd...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Linn

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us and your constructive feedback regarding the facilities and service you received.

As mentioned in the response to your survey you sent me we have the kitchen and bathrooms cleaned 3 times a day but with the hostel being 100% on the weekend you stayed these communal areas were in high use and may not have looked as good as what they normally do. I have passed this feedback onto our Head Housekeeper so we can look at our procedures and systems over busy weekends to rectify this.

Been to Base Wellington Backpackers? Share your experiences!