“The Truth” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   21-23 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, New Zealand   |
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“The Truth”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Not good at all. Booked a 8 person room and paid for it. got there and our group was split into 2 different rooms. Was told we had a bathroom in the room but there was none, had to use the communal bathrooms. Was told all about the party atmosphere and then got threatened to be kicked out, within hours of being there, if we didn't quieten down. All we had were very small ipod speakers. and were talking above normal talking volumes. Will definitely not be going back. It was our 3rd year on our annual trip, last 2 places were much better and had no problems with us. Pictures on the website should show room with stains on the walls and floor and even roofs of the rooms. Best part was leaving

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
To Shane,

First of all thank you for leaving some feedback and am disappointed that you and your group didn’t have a good stay.

We try and provide a safe and friendly environment and ask all guests to be considerate of others. With your group not only did staff need to speak to you about the noise level and damage in room but we also had to confiscate a large amount of alcohol off you and had complaints from other in house guests. We try our best to put everyone in the same room but cant guarantee this my apologies for this.

Overall people love staying at our property due to our wonderful facilities and the safe environment we create.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed in the 6 person bunk room on 6th Floor. It was high enough off the road to not be too noisy. The bunks were ok comfortable, if a little squeaky, quite narrow and short but so I am I so I wasn't too fussed. Toilets and showers were always clean but the kitchen tended to be a rather grubby due to other messy travelers not cleaning up after themselves and the kitchen not getting cleaned regularly.

Having said that you really can't get a better located backpackers! Right by Courtenay Place, in walking distance of waterfront, movies, cafes, art gallery AND a supermarket only 5 mins walk away - very convenient. And the bar in the basement is a real bargain. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up tend to be quieter. The ladies only floor I've heard is really nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Base Wellington on the 15th September.

All the comments we receive are important to us as they also help us improve on our facilities we offer to our guests. With regards to your to the cleanliness of the kitchen , please except my greatest apologies. The volume of people coming though the hostel can be very high at times and this can sometimes cause a build up of dishes but I can assure you our kitchen and dinning area get cleaned 4 times a day. I will pass your comments on to our Head housekeeper so we can improve these areas to prevent any future disappointment.

We really appreciate all guest feedback. We hope to see you back sometime soon.
St Albans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Cost 21 NZD for 6 bed dorm room (booked online), had an ensuite and considered cheap for New Zealand in general. Not a single power socket in room had to use bathroom to charge phone, ipod etc. Rooms were clean and beds decent enough. Staff pretty friendly. Reception felt more like a town hall than a reception in a hostel. However, there were plenty of computers to use there. Plenty of decent kitchen/laundry facilities there. Good location, right in the heart of the city. Overall, rate it as average!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Base Wellington on the 14th September.

All the comments we receive are important to us as they also help us improve on our facilities and service we offer to our guests. Please except my apologies for you room not have having any visible sockets, some are located behind the bunk beds and we working on ways to change the room layout in this specific room.

We really appreciate the feedback and happy to see you enjoyed you stay with us.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in the female level, really friendly staff which was great as a solo traveller. Good value breakfasts and the location was fantastic. Right off the main street for cafes, bars and not too far from te papa and the waterfront, the amazing museum in Wellington.

• Stayed January 2012
Birmingham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Base Wellington is pretty much everything I could ask for in a Backpackers hostel. It is located perfectly in the centre of the city making getting around a piece of cake. This is helped even more by the extremely friendly staff who were able to sort out all trips and activities I wanted with no problems what so ever!
One of the best things about the hostel was the clean 24hr kitchen and TV area. Too many hostels have a closing time for tv rooms and kitchens so it was a refreshing change to have 24 hr access.
The bar provided GREAT entertainment also. The staff were extremely friendly and they held free bar games throughout the night which kept myself and friends amused all night. It is so nice to see everyone in the bar, including the staff, getting involved and having a good time. Everything I could ask for as a backpacker!

Room Tip: Higher rooms get less noise from the bar!
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was expecting a really bad stay but I was wrong and I am glad about that. It was pretty clean, kitchen was decent and the receptionist was very helpful to me. I made a couple of good friends and we all enjoyed our stay here. Location is really good and the hostel is not disgusting at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The most shocking thing about my stay at BASE was reading some of the negative reviews which contrasted so sharply with my own fantastic experience.

I stayed at BASE on two occasions, once in a 6 person mixed dorm for a week, and again in a private double room with my girlfriend. We had a blast!

From the start, the staff was warm and helpful. I found them to be professional and accommodating with everything I asked, they fixed us up with sights to see and daily entertainment fitting our budget.

The Kitchen was cleaned regularly and never ran out of pots or pans like so many other hostels I've been to. There was plenty of fridge space, sinks and hobs at all times. The lounge was a little small, but had a poker table which we thought was cool.

the rooms themselves were great. The dorm room was basic but clean and comfy, with great heating and lockers provided, plus it was vacuumed and maintained every day.

The private room was superb. It was a great value, clean and comfy and serviced daily by the housekeepers.

My only complaint was that there was a no drinking policy in the rooms, but there is a great bar in the basement where we had 4 dollar drinks all night! I couldn't believe it, it was far cheaper than anywhere else we drank in Wellington.

All in all, both of my stays at BASE were among the best I've had in NZ hostels, and I know where I'll be staying on my way back through Wellington.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Base Wellington Backpackers? Share your experiences!