“Good location, reasonable inner city value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Abel Tasman Hotel

Save Saved
You added Abel Tasman Hotel to your Saves list
Abel Tasman Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   169 Willis Street, Wellington 6001, New Zealand (Formerly Leisure Inns Abel Tasman)   |
Ranked #33 of 50 hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good location, reasonable inner city value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We recently spent a night at the Abel Tasman which we chose for it's central location and reasonable price. The hotel is tidy and clean, but the rooms are very basic, quite stark and not large. I was travelling with my adult daughter so we asked for twin beds rather than a single king, expecting the standard twin queen format. We were taken aback to see a good sized queen bed and a very small single! We opened our curtains to find a multi-level carpark a few feet from us. Parking drivers looked straight into our room, so leaving the curtains open wasn't an option...We were pleased to find tea & coffee making facilities, though the bar fridge was empty, no mini bar options, not even bottled water. This was just a bed for us though , as we arrived fairly late in the evening and checked out the next morning, so the hotel suited our purpose, but not somewhere we'd want to stay for a holiday!

Room Tip: The hotel faces the carpark on one side & 2 busy streets otherwise, but with a better view! Take...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wanganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had a great stay.Staff was so great.24 hrs reception service and i really like the bistro cafe,I had awesome food experience.Me and my friends really had a amazing time there.In one word it was a marvellous experience staying in abel tasman.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Gisborne, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Abel Tasman Hotel is the best place I have stayed at in a couple years. Exquisite detail in the lobby, lovely service. Tidy and spacious rooms and a good price for the central city. Will defiantly come back.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

my friend and i just moved to wellington for studying. We randomly chosed a hotel broucher at the airport. Abel Tasman Hotel has a very good location to the university and shoping areas. So we went and booked a week accommodation there.

All the reception staff were very helpful and friendly. They offerred us a very good price and kindly allocated a room with microwave for our convenience, such thoughtful service. besides, they gave us a lot of extra helpful information, like where to find budget accommodation, city life, how to get to uni.ect. They joked with us, made us laughing, we felt home and relax in a strange city.

Housekeepers were very nice too. We got a lot pieces of luggages, not easy to move on. They helped us with bags while they passed by. very kind of them.

Such thoughtful staff and friendly service. definitely will recommend to my friends whoever visiting wellington to come stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
prime169, Front Office Manager at Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback!
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I will pass your feeback onto our reservations and housekeeping teams.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Kind regards,
Carol
Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Bistro was well presented at meal times and the staff was imformative about menu, great service!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback.
We are glad that you had an enjoyable experience at Bistro 169.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when you are next in Wellington.
Kind regards,
Carol
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

The location of this place was alright, and the room, although outdated and much less than the pictures on their website, wasn't too bad to sleep in.

However, the service was terrible. We called a week in advance to tell management that we were arriving at 7.30am and would like an early check in of 10.30am. They said yes, but when we got there, we were left sleeping in the lobby till 2pm. No one cared. We kept asking and they kept saying they were getting it ready, but that was about it.

On their website, it said that the room facilities included wireless internet. When we asked them, they said we had to pay. I told the lady at reception that I would pay and that was okay, but that they should consider changing the wording on their website to say that the room has internet facilities "available" instead of it being "included", as I thought it was really misleading.

The lady rudely told me that I was wrong and insisted that it meant that it was "available" but not free. She was Asian, and told me I needed to understand it properly (I'm Asian too). So as a Caucasian lady came down (she works at the hotel I think she may be in housekeeping or something), I asked her what she thought of the wording on the website, and she said it was very clear that it implied that the room rate included wireless internet.

With that, the lady at the reception still refused to apologize or say anything nice. When we left, we filled in a complaint card. A lady from the hotel called my partner the next day at 7am to ask him to discuss the complaint. My partner said he was asleep and asked her to ring back later. She said she would in an hour, but we never heard from her again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was dated with no air conditioniong. The noise from the street and beeping traffic lights meant no sleep all night. The windows even when closed were useless as they were single glazed and did not make any difference to the noise.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Abel Tasman Hotel? Share your experiences!