“Out of town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Leisure Inn Wellington

You added Leisure Inn Wellington to your Saves list
Leisure Inn Wellington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 Willis Street, Wellington 6001, New Zealand (Formerly Mercure Wellington Willis Street)   |
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
London, United Kingdom
“Out of town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We stayed here for two nights. It was quite a walk into town ( 25 mins ) Hotel looked as if it was being renovated, main lift was being repaired so you had to use the goods lift at the back of the staff areas. Room was ok, no aircon.... Should have had a fan as was very hot in the evenings. No wifi in the rooms :(

Stayed February 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I booked Leisure Inn months in advance because I knew that i as going to be in Wellington for 3 days in May 2015. Booked through Agoda and there wasn't any hassle. The rates were good and the important thing for me was I needed a place to park my rental car. Leisure Inn fulfils all the necessary ticks.

As i was driving down after a tour at the Hobbiton, i knew that i was going to be late for check-in. I called the Inn, and they promptly told me that it isn't a problem to arrive late as they are 24 hours, they also assured me of my booking. That's a huge sigh of relief as the trip would defintely take mroe that 6 hours and i did not want to rush.

I arrived at 7pm, the directions were easy as long as you loaded "Leisure Inn Wellington" as favourites into your GPS app. The parking space was dark and thankfully i drove a really small car that could get into tight spaces. I was greeted by a Chinese Sabahan from Malaysia and I was pleasantly surprised to meet one of the same nationality. So we chatted for a while, with him asking my purpose in Wellington which i obliged. He pointed out some spots that i should look out for during my travels tomorrow. With dinner time just knocking on the door, he also pointed out Cuba Street within 5-10 min walk.The day after, after telling him that I went to Oriental Bay, he suggested that i take a drive to Lyall Bay for surfing. Kudos to you mate.

I stayed in 509, facing the Motor Inn Lodge opposite, because the Willis Street is the one of the main streets in Wellington, it's gets loud if you open the windows, otherwise it's pretty alright. The room is decent size, the position of the TV is weird but i'm not complaining. The room looks dated but hey ask yourself why are you spending time in a room when you are in Wellington? The shower in 509 is a little wonky (the pipe leaks and will eventually come loose but no BIGGIE, all you really need to do is just slide it back in) and the fridge smells of vinegar. Aside from that, it's all good.

I like that it was walking distance to Aro Street where Garage Project is located. I went there for some local Wellingtonian beer. You just walk down Willis St. and you'll reach the city centre. Walk toward Motor Inn Lodge for 5 mins and you're at Cuba Street. I couldn't ask for more.

My major gripes would be, the inner parking section should be restricted to medium and small cars and when 2 huge pickups park opposite each other, the manoeuvrability because difficult for inexperienced drivers. The free wifi for 30 mins a day .... well in this day and age, this is really menial and i think the management can provide more bandwidth to guests. I wasn't actually downloading but uploading photos and replaying online txts,

All in all, good value.

Room Tip: ask for Higher level rooms and drive a medium sized car (an leave the pick up at home) should you wa...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The room was pleasing, big beds and clean. Staff helpful where they needed to be, and good basic breakfast, especially if you'e in a rush. There isn't any cooking facilities if you're backpacking in style, but the location is decent and close to restaurants and shops. The liquor store next door is convenient to run over to!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Alex J
Thank you for your great positive review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and very happy that we managed to assist you during your stay.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Warm regards
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked into the Leisure Inn in Wellington so we could have a night out and then catch an early flight from the airport. When I booked I asked for a quiet room due to our very early departure. We stayed midweek. I checked in at 2pm. I was able to get a car park free of charge on site which was a real bonus. The manager carried my bags in for me which I did not expect. The check in process was fast and friendly. I got a corner room on the 3rd floor. There was a small issue with the remote control which was immediately rectified. The pillows were a little thin so we asked for 2 more. This was no problem and were bought to our room immediately. The room was small and had a view over the by pass. There was a wall heater which was perfectly adequate. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean and well presented. This is an older hotel and is not perfect but for the price it exceeded our expectations. We slept well and enjoyed our stay. We walked to dinner on Courtney place and back. The location is nice and central.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when you check in. I suspect weekends would be noisier but the staff were more...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Angela W
Thank you for your positive and friendly feedback.
I will share your review with my team as this will serve as an encouragement for us to maintain our customer service and sense of details.
I am glad we managed to show pro activeness during your stay.
Everyone works hard to improve the product and deliver a very high customer service.
Your satisfaction rewards the efforts and shows that we are on the right direction.
Many thanks and hope to see you again very soon.
Hue, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't know why NZ hotels are still behind the time with wifi, we want it in the rooms not just a short time in the lobby, and i did not realize it had to be used continuous, when i saw the log-out button i presumed i could come back later.

room was fine for me, bathroom very dated but usable, very large, perhaps even wasted space but that's not an issue of course

sticking to the letter of the law with the 2pm check-in gets a bit tedious after a while (when you have an earlier flight), especially when rooms must be ready sooner, you cannot tell me that every one of the 84 rooms are finished at exactly 2pm

however the staff were nice, friendly and polite

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Dion h
Thank you for your review posted Yesterday on Tripadvisor.
I find your comments very relevant and it is also frustrating for us not to be able to offer you Wifi in the rooms yet.
We are working hard to move forward and we hope to see some changes soon.
We will let our valued customers know about that of course.
I understand your request of processing the check-in before 2pm. This really depends of the organisation on that specific day. It also depends of the room allocation based on the customers requests (bedding, level, adjoining rooms, time of check-out from in house customers, etc.).
I am glad though that we manage to respect our commitment to get rooms ready on time. And we will keep working with the team to facilitate both check-in and check-out process.
We hope to see you again in a near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

- The room didn't looked like on the pictures at all, furniture very very outdated and partial broken
- stained floor, bed sheets and especially curtains
- hair in the bathroom
- we booked a room with free wifi. but no wifi in the room, only 30min. a day free use in the lobby

We asked for another room, the staff was very understanding (we were not the first guests asking for another room). We got another room....as poor as the first one!

+ Free parking (if they have a free spot)
+ Good location (restaurants etc. within walking distance)
+ Breakfast was included, selection ok, room a bit dimly

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Singa-Travellers
We appreciate your feedback and the time spent to post a review online.
We have started upgrading some areas of the Hotel.
I am sad and sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The Housekeeping will review your comment and implement the according actions.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly. This will give us an opportunity to work more specifically by getting the rooms involved and follow up with staff and suppliers when applicable.
In regards to the sheets, they are replaced as normal hotel procedures and we return all sheets not up to standard to our supplier. If the quality is not up to standard it is important for us to report it to them.
We thank you for your positive feedback about the staff, our location and the breakfast.
I understand you were expecting Wifi and as per my previous responses, we are currently working on it. Please note that if you did purchase an All Inclusive rate Internet comes for free in Broadband for up to 300MB.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond and improve.
Nicolas Caffardo
Hotel Manager
Hastings, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was most grateful to previous reviewers on this hotel, to discover that it is green. Whilst driving around trying to find it last Friday while numerous streets were closed for a parade, this green landmark was highly visible.
We stayed for three nights, and due to limited car parking space, chose most of the time to use public transport which was readily available nearby, or to walk. Dairy across the road.
Our room was clean and well supplied. The breakfast was enjoyable too, though I mention to the staff that the breakfast brochure both in the rooms and in public places in the hotel, needed updating, due to changes from that stated.
The staff were very welcoming and eager to please. Anthony even printed out bus and train timetables for Sunday for me which was much appreciated.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the Carilion by the War Memorial Museum. The only noise we experienced was the...
Dear Rose D
Thank you for your very positive feedback.
I believe you give our valued customers a very useful tip about transport and parking in Wellington by advising to use the public transports!
Wellington has all the infrastructures to facilitate transportation inside and around the city.
I am glad that we managed to assist you and make your stay more comfortable and easy. I will personally thank and congratulate Anthony for his availability and great service.
We are currently working on replacing the breakfast menus in order to avoid any miscommunication and misunderstanding.
I am glad you noticed that the hotel is located next to the War Memorial which opended few days ago.
I am sure that many customers will be staying with us in a near future to discover this wonderful monument and the exhibitions around.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Nicolas Caffardo

Been to Leisure Inn Wellington? Share your experiences!