“An Underdog” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Leisure Inn Wellington

You added Leisure Inn Wellington to your Saves list
Leisure Inn Wellington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 Willis Street, Wellington 6001, New Zealand (Formerly Mercure Wellington Willis Street)   |
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
“An Underdog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Myself and 3 friends stayed here for a total of 3 nights. The check in was easy, the room was near and tidy and the staff we always friendly, polite and upbeat.

With our room came free buffet breakfast and although it was a limited selection it was enough to fill our bellies to conquer another day of sightseeing!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest
Thank YOU for staying with us.
Thank you for this nice review summarising what we try to achieve for our customers.
We hope to see you again soon.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The exterior of the hotel unfortunately looks a little old and worn, but when you step inside you can see that the floors have been tiled and the tables/chairs are all up to date so which gave me relief.

The room deal I bought from Booking.com, came with free continental breakfast so that was one of the reasons I chose this place.

The room I was allocated was on the 5th Floor, room 507, looking out to Willis street and the mountain side. It's not much of a view but since I was here on business it's no big deal.

The room size was reasonable and compact, the bed was a bit uncomfortable because it comes with 2 soft coil single mattresses put together on a bed base to make it into a double bed. I can imagine it will be somewhat strange for couples to sleep together, or even a family because of the mattress split in the middle which wasn't made to be slept on.

I'm also not sure if it could be the fault of the laundry company, but I found a lot of hair strands on the bed near the headboard.

The windows had some kind of DIY double glazing where the second layer is a piece of plastic sheet over the window. It was because of this, whenever the wind blows the plastic sheets keep makings sounds and it's not great when you are trying to sleep.

The bathroom had a shower and a tub, the shower water pressure was too soft for me but otherwise you can still have a decent shower, it'll just take longer that's all.

Parking can be challenging but since I stayed during the weekday, I think it was alright and I didn't have trouble parking in front of the hotel for free.

The hotel is located near the motorway #1, so if you are thinking to park the car on the roadside then make sure you remove it before 7am, otherwise you'll find it in the tow yard.

The staff can't be faulted and they were very helpful and friendly. I'm always greeted with a smile at the restaurant for breakfast and I felt welcomed at the reception. Overall it is an OK hotel, and does the job if you are there for a short stay only.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest
First of all thank you for your time and comment posted on Tripadvisor.
We value your feedback and will share it with the rest of the team.
I am very glad that you took advantage of our All Inclusive offer with complimentary cooked breakfast.
I believe our rates offer a great value for money.
We are currently replacing the main guests lift and we expect this replacement to be completed in few weeks. This will considerably improve our customers experience.
We encourage our valued guests to stay with us and experience our services.
As mentioned in the review the hotel has a great location and a friendly / professional service.
Your comment will serve as an encouragement for all of us to pursue our efforts and continue looking after our customers.
Thank you.
We hope to see you again soon in Leisure Inn Wellington.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for 4 nights. All staff were incredibly friendly, could not fault them. This is despite the renovations that are going on in the building currently (had to use the backup service elevator as the primary one is being installed). The building is very old, but from what I see with the reception floor (looks great!), more works are yet to come. The rooms were nice, clean and practical; don't buy the room for the view though - not much to see unless you get a city-facing room. Bed was very comfortable and the room was well-serviced each day.

We had the free breakfast every morning and the only suggestion I would have is to maybe alternate a bit each day (ie replace baked beans with hash browns or something every two days). I commend the lady who greeted us every morning as we walked in (forget her name, sorry!) as she was extremely well-mannered and genuinely interested in what we were doing today.

Best of all about the hotel was the location - only a short walk from the CBD and surrounds. Some nice restaurants located on Willis Street too! It is also a short drive from the airport, located very close to the main road. I would definitely consider staying here again if I return to Wellington.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive and very encouraging feedback!
Yes we are working hard to improve our product and we are convinced that the lift replacement will increase our customers’ comfort and satisfaction.
Both the Hotel Owner and Staywell Hospitality Group work on a soft refurbishment of the rooms and public areas. We have already submitted some options and we hope to see this project going through in a near future.
All our staff is involved in this project and we do believe that delivering a great service will increase the number of visitors and therefore allow us to upgrade some of our services and facilities.
This is for this reason that we decided to offer a complimentary breakfast few months ago to all our customers pre-booking our “All Inclusive” offer.
Because we believe that our valued guests deserve a great value for money with an easy and friendly experience.
Your comment prove us right! Thank you for that.
Our location will become one of the best in town as all the great restaurants and cafes are now close from us. Moreover we are impatient to see the War memorial opening next year and I am sure that Aro Street will become a real attraction in few years.
I finally take the opportunity to remind our valued future customers that we are the first CBD hotel coming from the airport we are easily accessible from Karo Drive close to us.
Thanks again for your time and positive review.
We all look forward to seeing you again in Wellington.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were here for 2 nights, on the 6th floor, with a view to the hills.
The young man at check in was very helpful, took one of our bags and took us to the temporary lift while the main lift was being upgraded.
Our room was average size, newly decorated, had nice new modern furniture, bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had bath/shower. Both rooms had double glazing on the windows, so they were very warm and very quiet.
We had complimentary breakfast both mornings, which was plentiful with a good variety of cereal and cooked food. The restaurant staff were very professional and efficient, and the restaurant area was very pleasant.
Location is excellent, only a short walk to Cuba Street, with all its' restaurants, the city shopping and the waterfront.
Free on site parking was a bonus in Wellington and good WiFi, with charges, which were very minimal as we only used it for emailing.
There is a charge for paying on credit card.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback left on Tripadvisor.
It is very positive and encouraging for all of us.
We are glad that you found our staff being helpful. We do our best to facilitate this transition period with the main lift replacement. The contractor is on time in regards to the schedule and we will continue assisting you during this short period of time.
We are also very happy to read that you did enjoy both the room and the comfort of our bedding and the breakfast with its variety. It was important to us to deliver an extra service and we understand that Breakfast is an important moment of the day either for a business stay or a leisure visit in Wellington.
In regards to Internet we do our best to offer the best connectivity at the lower cost. As part of the All Inclusive deals you can get up to 250MB free per day – in room broadband internet.
We are glad finally that you took advantage of our parking and enjoyed our fantastic location. Even if we cannot guarantee availability for the car parking it worth trying!
We hope to see you again very soon in Leisure Inn Wellington. Do not hesitate to check our websites to view on going offers as well as coming events in the Centre (Cuba Festival, War Memorial opening, etc.).
New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Checked in about 10:30pm for a three night stay and I must say from the outside it looked pretty damn old and tired. The chap on reception was happy and welcoming but the old lift to get to the 4th floor has seen better days....did not give me any confidence it would actually work the way it clunked and jerked its way to the my floor.
Entering the room was a indeed underwhelming as the bathroom has well and truly seen better days...needs a renovation NOW.
Housekeeping could also learn a lesson on dusting as the skirting boards hadn't been done for what liked like months. A couple of shinning lights was that the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast buffet really good..
Its definitely not what it looks like on the web site, however the staff are very happy and helpful. Will be choosing elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time and comments about Leisure Inn Wellington and your stay with us.
I am happy to inform you that we have started the replacement of the main guests lift.
The completion is due for early February 2015.
By the time being our valued customers can use the service lift – we have organised a special access for our guests.
Our Hotel Owner and the Management Company are currently reviewing the options to operate a soft refurbishment of the guests rooms and public areas.
We will keep you updated through our social media page.
My Executive Housekeeper has immediately taken your review on board and shared it with his team. We will follow up on the dusting which is done on a regular basis but will have more attention from our team.
We would like to thank for the positive feedback in regards to the bed and the breakfast.
We have put a lot of efforts to ensure that those 2 areas are at the top as we believe that they are essential in our industry.
I am sad that you may not stay again with us.
Do not hesitate however to keep in touch with us in order to receive our updates. And I hope that you will give us a second chance.
Laidley, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I stayed at the Leisure Inn 7 nights and after 4 nights they stopped cleaning the room. We thought they just overlooked us the first time, but the next day it was not done again. We mentioned this to reception and she said she would have it cleaned that day.
We got back to the room about 9.30pm tired from all the sight seeing and got into bed only to find both our beds had been short sheeted, which means the bottom sheet had been folded in half from the bottom so when we got in our feet could only go down half way. So of course we had to remake our own beds. We will never go back there again and will always run down the place to everyone.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time reviewing your stay in Leisure Inn Wellington.
At Leisure Inn we always welcome feedback of whatever nature.
It is very regrettable that you did not ask for me during your stay as I would have done my best to assist with your request and I am sure we would have found together a positive outcome.
I have shared your comment with the rest of my team and we were all affected as it is not the image and the service we want our customers to report online.
After investigation we have found that a mistake was done on our side and your room was not serviced on 1 specific day.
I have received some apologise from the staff who was in charge of your room. Please allow me to forward this apologise to you.
This will serve to all of us for the future I am sure.
I would however like to remind our valued customers that even if we do service each room every day sheets are replaced every 3 days as part of the standards.
In regards to the towels we do replace them unless you keep them hung.
Those standards follow the Environmental policies that our customers and colleagues have agreed on to reduce the water consumption.
I do recommend all our valued customers to report any incident as soon as possible in order for us to come up with a solution and make your stay pleasant.
Therefore “do not keep your mouth shut” to re-use your words as there will always be someone happy to help from the Receptionist to myself.
Once again thank you for giving us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We arrived late into Wellington and wasn't able to get a car park in this hotel. We checked into the room and the service wasn't exactly smooth sailing on the behalf of the reception. We finally checked in and went to dinner straight away. After dinner we unloaded our bags and my husband went to find a car park - street parking is free after 6pm. I tried to carry our luggage into the hotel and struggled. The receptionist looked up saw me struggling and instead of helping me, proceeded to ask me if I had checked in. Considering I only checked in 45 mins before, I tried to not lose my temper as I answered his question. He then continued to watch me struggle to get the luggage into the extremely small and old lift. I couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe how second rate I was being treated.

The room is medium sized, the bathroom and decor is extremely old, you can tell the previous hotel was a Mecure branded hotel as some of the feature still hadn't been changed. Our room was facing a busy street, the noise level was a little unbearable at time, especially when there were people shouting on the street. Extremely disappointed by the lack of service when checking in so even with average room and breakfast facilities I will definitely not returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicholas C, General Manager at Leisure Inn Wellington, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time and review posted on Tripadvisor.
I am very surprised and sorry to read your feedback.
Comments are normally full of praise in regards to our Staff and to the customer service delivered.
I have already shared your comment with my team and we will work together to maintain pro-activeness and the highest level of standard.
Do not hesitate to report such experience as soon as you can to the Hotel EAM or myself in order for us to follow up.
Do not hesitate also to ask the reception for assistance with luggage.
In regards to the signage, the Owner as well as the Management company are aware of the situation and are currently working on the best solution to address this issue.
Everyone is also working hard on the best options to refurbish the rooms and provide a better insulation.
You will be happy to read that we have started the replacement of the lift and we will have a larger shaft in about 8 weeks time.
Once again I am sorry if your experience was not as enjoyable and relaxing as it should have been.
We will learn from your comment and work hard to address the topics raised.
Hotel Manager

Been to Leisure Inn Wellington? Share your experiences!