“Lovely hotel, good service, yummy food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bolton Hotel Wellington

Save Saved
You added Bolton Hotel Wellington to your Saves list
Bolton Hotel Wellington
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Bolton Street | Lambton CBD, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Weekend Special
Ranked #3 of 50 hotels in Wellington
Auckland
“Lovely hotel, good service, yummy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed at the Bolton for two nights on business and thought it was great - would stay again. My room was very modern and the kitchen-ette was great. I ate at the restaurant both nights and found the food to be very good. Staff were very helpful and friendly. High recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HotelMD, Owner at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your review, your favourable comments were much appreciated. I was pleased you enjoyed our restaurant.
Warwick Angus Managing Director

769 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

More of our 'big city' Hotels should be providing free wifi as the Bolton now does...good on them! Great place. Enjoyed our stay 5 years ago and just as nice now. The staff were all very friendly and helpful (perhaps a little more training needed on the restaurant side - but hey, they're young and learning!). The standard studio room is on the small side (more for a single person but adequate for a short stay - as a couple would go for the bigger studio room again next time. Lovely clean facilities. Just far enough away from the main city thoroughfare to be quietish, but close enough to walk to places. Good choices of wine with dinner also, thank you.

Room Tip: Guest studio rooms are small. Go for the bigger rooms. The corner rooms (Premier Studio's) are l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMD, Owner at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your review and comments, very much appreciated. I agree our small studio rooms while very comfortable are best suited for a short term stays. I was pleased you enjoyed our free Internet, we are a leading hotel in this respect and have offered this service free for more than 2 years.
Ballston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is well located -- just minutes walk from everything. The staff were personable and service oriented. I especially liked the mini-suite with kitchen facilities AND a washer dryer, which saved me a ton of money. The internet connexion was fast and reliable. They are relaunching their restaurant and had vouchers available for half off the breakfast buffet and also a dinner voucher for $30, which included a main course and a glass of house wine (essentially a $50+ value). The food was great -- try the venison filet. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I was delighted to read your comments, our team work very hard to meet the needs of our guests and it nice to see their efforts appreciated.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed here many times. I guess the fact that I always return here is testament to the fact that I think it is the best hotel available. I have stayed at others but definitely will always return to the Bolton. The rooms are comfortable... We usually get a premier suite or a 2 bedroom premier. These rooms are perfect as you can host friends or travel with friends given they have a separate living area from the bedrooms and a self service kitchen. In October 2012 when we travelled for World of Wearable Arts we were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Residential Suite. WOW what a surprise. It was huge with lovely views and heaps of space. It worked so well for us given we had friends in town (8 in total) and could retire to the room later for a few bottles of wine to catch up and chat... The dining table comfortably sat us all which was just perfect. The service is friendly and efficeant, the booking process is very easy and hassle free. I am also a fan of the location, just off the Terrace and close to Lambton Quay. Everything is within walking distance. The sauna and pool complex is another selling point for me. I love a good sauna to relax at the end of the day... perfect. I definitely recommend the Bolton for those travelling to Wellington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on our residential suite, this is our top room and it was nice to see the room enjoyed and appreciated.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was surprised to see a non standard hotel being the #1 rated in Wellington, ie not your usual Super lux type place. I read a few reviews of the bolton and I must say after staying here I was really impressed. We had a queen twin room which is essentially a 1 bedroom apartment. It's got a fully equipped kitchen and washer/dryer. The main thing that struck me about this hotel is how they think of everything you may need. From a clothes rack for drying clothes (not the silly string over the tub type either) to decent prices in the mini (big) bar. The staff are lovely and the location is great. Internet is free (as it should be for every hotel)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HotelMD, Owner at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your review, we try to anticipate and meet our guests needs and I really appreciated your comments.
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights for WOW. It was your usual hotel, nothing exceptional. The rooms were nothing flash, and we had a suite. The service was very good compared to most however and I loved the boutique feel. The one hurried dinner we had in the restaurant was probably our best of the whole trip.

I am not sure what happened to our free internet but we only had a code for free internet for the first night and had to ask two more times throughout our stay for a password.

2 things- one of the waitresses at the restaurant could definitely use further training, particularly on how she speaks to guests- she used very casual language and she didn't seem particularly 'onto it' or that interested in going the extra mile. The other thing that left me speechless was- when I asked one of the porters to order us a taxi, he said 'Certainly, where are you going Sir?' As a woman, I was thinking OMG, does he think I am a man??!!!! How mortifying! I turn around and he is addressing his question to my husband who had come up behind me and probably didn't even hear what I had said. It was like I was invisible! Er, hello?! Suffice to say, I think this staff member also needs some training on how he talks to guests!

All in all, I would probably stay there again, its a quite a walk though but very convenient to parliament!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and comments, very much appreciated. I note your comment in respect to the Internet, and I will ask our technical people to look into this. I have also noted your comments in respect of one of our staff members and I will address this.
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Last time I visited the Bolton it was for my partner's birthday. The hotel did not exactly give us the experience we had grown to expect.

We gave the hotel another chance recently - and let me say it has more than redeemed itself! Room service was prompt and courteous, the restaurant's menu was fantastic (that said, you could use an updated cocktail list) and the extras we had ordered for our room were far above par.

Thank you Bolton Hotel, and we'll see you for Kate's birthday next May!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for returning to the Bolton and I very much appreciated your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in May 2013.
Warwick Angus – Managing Director

Been to Bolton Hotel Wellington? Share your experiences!