“Best Fish and Chips in New Zealand” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #178 of 656 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Fish & Chips
eastbourne, UK
“Best Fish and Chips in New Zealand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We were very lucky to find this place which is frequented by locals who know the area. We went there twice and each time enjoyed a different type of fish. We had never heard of some of the fish on offer but everything we tried was excellent. Their concept is simple, fresh food at a good price. There are various ways of having the fish cooked, including grilling which we chose. There is a choice of about 5 different fish and 5 different chips plus extras such as coleslaw, salad, and various sauces. If you want simple, good, honest food, then we would certainly recommend this place.

• Visited November 2013

london
“The best fish and chips..... EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

First off, I am English, and hate English fish and chips...... BUT, this place is AWESOME! You get to choose your fish (fresh caught EVERY day) and your choice of cooking style; grilled, battered, Panko breadcrumbs etc. on our 3 day stay in Wellington, we ate there twice, and also when we got off the ferry from south land, on the way back to our drive up the north island.

We had warehou,(Panko crumbed) gurnard and snapper grilled, also agria chips and slaw. They were all absolutely fantastic. Very, very few places do grilled fish like this place did. Have travelled quite a bit and we can only really think of 1 or 2 places that are similar (Anthony's fish grotto in San Diego is one of them).

They are all a young bunch of guys and gals really trying to provide excellent fresh fish (and other stuff too) with excellent service and they achieve these in spades.

The place is very clean, decor is modern, and exudes hip without the hype.

Please consider eating here, they deserve all the success possible :)

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aurora, Colorado
“Place was packed - need I say more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I ate there at 2030 after an all day drive. We had the snapper. It was some of the best fish & chips we've ever had. The staff was friendly. We had to wait 25 min. for our meal (the staff let us know prior to ordering.) I'm no expert on Fish & Chips. Not generally a fan of fish, but this meal was great - better than the time I tried it in London.

The restaurant is mostly what they call a "Take Away". There is no restaurant style seating but they do have a counter with plastic bar stools.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wellington, New Zealand
“Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I had one good experience but the rest have been average. Online ordering system is poor, you order online toake sure you don't have to wait instore. Each time ive waited for at least 15-20mins after they said it would be ready. Food is average, last time it was.cold & we only walked 2mins up the road. When I made comment about the wait they didn't even make an atempt to say sorry. A shame as it is a cool idea. But lots of work to be done.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Extremely disappointing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Out of four visits, one (the first) was amazing and the next three appalling. I will not give them a fifth chance. They are expensive so I was extremely disappointed to get the tiniest pieces of fish for my money. About a third of the size of fillets elsewhere but at half as much again. The first visit the fillet was delicious but the next three overcooked and very dry. Extremely greasy too. The last visit the crinkle cut chips were undercooked and inedible. I walked out leaving most of my meal there. The guy who cooked the food did comment that he realised the fillet was tiny and could cook me another one if I wanted. Why would you even ask? Surely you should just cook it in the first place if you doubted the size as appropriate to be served as a fillet.

• Visited September 2013