“Nice food, good view, long wait for lunch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Boat Cafe

Boat Cafe
139A Oriental Parade (The Tug Boat) | Oriental Bay, Wellington 6011, New Zealand (Formerly The Boat Cafe)
00644 939 3935
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #319 of 656 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice food, good view, long wait for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to the Boat Cafe today for lunch. Ordering a mix of the pre-prepared food and food off the Menu. Got the Fish & Chips with Salad, Seafood Chowder and a Chicken Caesar Wrap. The wrap was awesome, and so was the seafood chowder. The fish and chips were pretty overpriced $21 for few small bits of fish, chips that were cold and the plainest salad I had ever seen. It took around 35 minutes for our lunch to come out and they did not look that busy. It was nice sitting in the sun but with the doors open pretty cold. Loved the seafood chowder but a 35 minute wait would mean I probably wouldn't bother going back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wellington, New Zealand
“Great venue, shame about the food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were looking forward to dining here since The Tug Boat became Boat cafe.

Well, first of all, they didn't have the wine i wanted advertised on the menu and I was told it was a mid-print. So I was offered a glass of what the manager come waitress was drinking, okay, a bit different but I accepted and it turned out alright.

Well, we were both hungry so my friend ordered the fish and I thought l'd try the duck, something a bit different.

Well, by the time it came out we were both starving and started to eat.

Unfortunately my duck was cold, the drops of gravy had congealed and the veges which were supposed to be part of the meal were missing!

Obviously we were disappointed and told the manager come waitress who checked with the chef. We were told that he was new and had forgot about the veges and apologized for the cold meal.

We were asked how we would like to be compensated but by now the dining experience was well and truly over.

It was a little disconcerting to relax while the manager come waitress was enjoying her glass of wine in the adjacent cubicle.

Needless to say we won't be coming back again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Taupo, New Zealand
“Used To Be Iconic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Not quite the same is it? Once a shabby chic place on the Parade, now its a floating eatery on an old tug boat. Crowded and average food. Such a shame but I suppose they are now providing to a newer clientele. All the best Parade........

Visited June 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Bustling casual dining on a heritage converted boat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The former Parade Cafe, famous for madly busy casual brunches, reinvents in the lovely old Tug Boat moored in Oriental Bay. Good munchie-style counter food, excellent coffee, standard cafe menu well prepared. Noisy, nice place to sit watching birds frolic on the rocks. Worth a stop if you're strolling round the Bay.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raumati
“Loved the venison pie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to Boat Cafe yesterday for lunch. I had the venison pie - it was delicious. Really rich and hearty, which was great for a chilly day. It came with steamed vegetables which offset the pie nicely.
Coffee was good too. Love looking out the window by the sea. I like the fact that they have a gluten free menu.. this is great when I take my son as he has several things to choose from and not just the usual default option.

• Visited May 2013