“Surprisingly good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was expecting it to be some cheesy version of a ribs/steak place but it was fine. They had good service. The food came out fast enough when we told them we were trying to catch a movie right after we had eaten, and they served accordingly. The ribs are pretty good.

Visited April 2013

34% Recommend
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Meat Lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

As soon as we walked in the service was excellent. Good food, wine and beer. We loved it, great view of Courtney Place and excellent service.

I recommend this place to anyone, the cost is cheap and recommended drinks are on the money.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington
“Good for Dinner and Movie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My boyfriend and i went here on a friday night, i had left reservations until late and they were the only place that had a table.

When we arrived they had our table all set up with menus and water for us and took drink orders when they seated us and we ordered garlic bread straight away.

Our waitress was very friendly (she told us it was her first or second day on the job) the lighting is very nice and the decor is all black but very classy. The garlic bread came fast and was well priced.

For the mains we had steak ($30ish and pizza $14ish) the pizza is a bit awkwardly sized, not enough for two people but a bit too much for one. However they were happy to let me take the leftovers home for my dog. The pizza was lovely, not too many toppings and well priced.

The steak you do have to pay extra for the sauce you want. But it is only a couple of dollers, but still seems a bit cheeky. They're all priced around the $30 region and range from 250g to 400g steaks. Asked for medium rare and was cooked just right.

The meals were well presented.

All in all, nice meal but nothing too flash. Would go here again for a casual date before going to the cinema.

They do deals during the week. Thursday there is a dinner and movie deal which seemed quite good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Cool Restaurant. Good Food. Friendly Staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Had been wanting to eat here for some time, finally got the opportunity to dine here on a busy Thursday night with a group of friends. What intially enticed me to want to eat here was the cool interior design of the restuarant (floor to ceiling black curtains right the way around the restaurant and great 'industrial' fittings). The food was really tasty. A majority of the people at our table ordered burgers, including me, the onion relish was simply amazing! So good! Friendly staff and an exceptionally enthusiastic, bubbly restaurant manager made dinning here a great experience. This is by no means Courtney Places' best restaurant but is worth trying. Next time, I think I'll try a steak or the ribs.

Visited April 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Go here only for the steak, everything else is hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Restaurant Name: Beer and Steer
Location: 100 Courtenay Place, Reading Cinema,City Central, Wellington
Date: 28th March 2013 (8.30pm)
Food Type: Steakhouse (contemporary)

_______________________________________

Décor: (8.0/10)
Black satin drapes lining the entrance wall along with the dimmed lighting arrangement gives a very chic, spacious, but still intimate feel to it. The option of indoor and balcony dining.

Atmosphere: (7/10)
The restaurant has a more subdued presence, much like its background music – a stark contrast to the more laid back feel that it was under previous management (Hogs Breath).

Service: (5/10)
Very tidy, professional, courteous. That it lacked attentiveness gave the overall impression that staff were merely going through the motions and took no real pleasure in serving customers. Most unfortunate.

In Summary: (6.5/10)
If all you're looking for is a great steak then you can't do any better than the scotch fillet with roasted gourmet potatoes and button mushrooms that is on offer here, its simply a notch above every other steak I've tasted in Wellington. But I would seriously think twice if you are looking to impress others by coming here, because everything else is a hit and miss.
_______________________________________

(1) Starter: (5/10 – edible)
Barbecue Pork Ribs - Roasted petite pork ribs, tossed in our own Steer BBQ sauce & toasted sesame seeds $10.90.
Compared to other pork ribs this one was found wanting. For one, the pork did not melt in my mouth, it almost bordered on being chewy in parts. The sauce too felt like someone had just poured it over the meat last minute rather than the meat being marinated in it for hours before being slow cooked.

(2) Starter: (5.5/10 - passable)
Garlic Bread - Baked fresh from our kitchen, with our own garlic butter, topped with fine parmesan cheese $5.50.
A more toned down version of the original Garlic Bread the previous establishment made. Sadly, I have a preference for the original which had heaps more cheese and garlic butter slavered on top with an extra topping of your choice to boot. Without that added layer this garlic bread I ate suffered from over-exposure to heat and came off dry.

(3) Main Dish: (9.5/10 – Masterchef quality)
PrimeAngus Scotch Fillet 250g – Our PrimeAngus beef is natural tender aged beef, char-grilled to your requirements $29.90.
Cooked medium/rare (ie – pink on the inside) with roasted gourmet potatoes, red onion, button mushrooms, spinach, and garlic butter. Perfectly seasoned, everything on that plate not only looked amazing but when eaten together produced a cacophony of harmony that just melted in my mouth. If I have one reservation its this – I don't understand why there is lesser cuts of steak on the menu, it just baffles me. I would highly recommend going with the Scotch Fillet.

• Visited March 2013