“Crowded but good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Wellington, New Zealand
“Crowded but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I think that ACME may have the same problems as The Spruce Goose: It's new, and therefore popular. This can make for a slightly crowded, slightly hectic space. The food is good, however there are a few items that aren't quite right. Anything with their house-made bread is good. I would advise that if you can't stand the smell of roasting coffee not to come here, as they have a coffee roaster prominently displayed (and used) in the dining area. The coffee smell isn't very strong, but I think that the finished product from the roasting more than makes up for it, as the coffee there is great. Overall, a nice place to come with colleagues, friends, spouses and teenage sons/daughters- small children will probably get crabby waiting for a table, food, the adults to finish their coffee etc.

Visited January 2014

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Great social place in central Wellington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Been to this place with my friends today. It was a Saturday afternoon, the place was jam-packed with people though we had no problems with the staff of the cafe. A waitress friendly promptly offered us to pick a table where we were served in a few minutes time. The food was fresh and delicious. Me and my friend ordered different dishesh and were quite pleased with the quality and taste of the ingredients - fresh in-house baked bread, hot smoked salmon, wine, coffee. Everything was delicious. Highly recommend!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Worst experience in New Zealand”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A friend of mine had wanted to try out this cafe/restaurant and I didn't know the place so I was curious as well.

Once inside it was hard to concentrate becase the place was so noisy and you almost had to yell to keep the conversation going. There were quite a group of people waiting so we lined up.

The owner of the place she had decided to seat, take orders and serve all at the same time which meant that it took ages to get a table even though many were available and eventually some of the clients waiting with us simply found a place and sat down, one asked another waitress if it was alright to sit down, he was told 'absolutely'. Hearing this I was a little startled as to why we had been told to wait by one and were free to seat ourselves by another. And when the owner came in my direction I confronted her with the question. She immidiately got defensive and it quickly developped into a bizarre feeling scene where I felt I was talking to a head mistress from a school because I was almost ordered to point out who had been seating themselves. Of course I refused to do so which she didn't take very easily. Not my problem I felt.

We eventually got seated and the owner who was now serving us, came with water and asked if we wanted some. We both answerred yes and she threw a 'did you say no!!' In my direction... Very strange indeed.

The meal was spent discussing what had happened and ended up being a bery short visit due to the service, quality of the food and very loud atmosphere.

The place is very well visited, maybe because it is new, but other friends of mine have also gone there and left with equally bad stories about the quality of the service.

Somehow I am not interested in seeing if this place might improve over time because I very much doubt that I will ever go back and for sure I will never recommend it unless you are ready to end up in an argument with a total stranger.

By the way if you go, don't get the salmon, it was absolutely without taste, including the capers that came with it...

• Visited March 2013