“Simply f a b u l o u s !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portlander Bar & Grill

Portlander Bar & Grill
75 Featherston Street | Cnr of Whitmore & Featherston Streets, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
+64 4-498 3762
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #75 of 656 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides.PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We’re about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it’s the ideal place to eat meat and greet.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Simply f a b u l o u s !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had a fantastic dinner in Portlander on the 31st Dec! All dishes were cooked to perfection, service was flawless and thanks to Shawn we were actually able to get a table at the last minute and all our wishes were granted! Apart from delicious starters and main courses, the panna cotta was divine! If in town you really should try this place out!

Rhiannon B, Manager at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for the review, we're glad you had such a great time.
Hope the new year is treating you well - oh, and we think Shawn is fantastic too!

New Zealand
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Having read the good reviews on TA, I had pretty high expectations. We went early on a Saturday evening (6.30pm), as we were going to a movie following dinner. The restaurant wasn't busy but it still took 15 mins to take our order and 45mins to bring out our mains. Not great, but willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as the wait staff were friendly. Well, my Angus Rump (med-rare) was overdone around the edges and not particularly tender in the bits that were med-rare. My companion's fillet steak (order med) was pretty much well done all the way through. We sent it back. The second one came out about 20 mins later and was only marginally better. But we had to eat something and couldn't wait around for another one, so he ate most of it - commenting it was one of the worst steaks he'd ever had. Given we eat out a bit and love a good steak, that was saying a lot. We really wanted to order the hand cut fries with truffle oil but saw them come out to another table while we were waiting - half a dozen fries for $11!!!! Hugely overpriced for what you got and we couldn't see the value. The crumbed onion rings were nice but they were cold by the time my husband's second steak came out. There was no mention of refreshing the side orders given that he'd had to wait so long for the replacement steak. The only thing that even marginally rescued the experience was that both the waiter and duty manager were both very apologetic and comp'd us the main. But even so, I don't think I'll be spending my hard earned here again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hello Sunseeka,

My apologies for your dissapointing visit to Portlander.
We have taken all your comments on board and if you are in Wellington I personally invite you to come in for a meal. Please get in touch with me via email - rhiannon_beavan@portlander.co.nz.
“$11 nzd for 5 handcut fries? Ridiculous ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

If you want an expensive steak with extra costs of sides /salads go here, 5 handcut fries for $11
Even with a sprinkle of Parmesan and supposedly truffle oil?
I sent my steak back - not med rare -
and the cream peppercorn sauce as well. Manager assured
Me it was the peppercorns that were "creamed" not a cream peppercorn sauce
Sorry guys but I run a Tourist Lodge and I know my sauces!
So - don't menu what you don't do.
Then waited another . 20 mins for new med rare steak with cream peppercorn sauce after manager said "chef" would make " me" a special cream peppercorn sauce! Did not happen as second sauce same as first. Guess manager/maitre'd did not take on board comments - they were having a laugh.
Wait staff very nice .
Manager/maitre'd not helpful..bit busy with the larger table of 10 all night.
Overall not impressed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hello Phil,

My apologies for your frustrating experience.
We have recently undergone a restructure and if you are in Wellington I invite you to get in touch with me and revisit us for a meal. My email - rhiannon_beavan@portlander.co.nz
sydney
“Fantastic for dinner ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Fantastic meal at dinner time here the food was cooked to perfection and well priced especially when you compare it with other restaurants in the local area. Sides are a little steep in there pricing however.

Would recommend it to anyone but don't take the menu on display outside as been the menu you actually get at all once seated.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. Apologies for the misleading outside menu, I believe we were awaiting the arrival of the new one at that time. Thank You for bringing it to our attention.
We hope you enjoyed your time in Wellington.

The Portlander Team
Bundi, India
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Seven friends enjoyed a birthday celebration here. It was very busy but the staff did an excellent job of attending our table. Food was perfectly cooked, tastefully presented and no complaints from any of us. Well done, we will return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hi there. Thank you for your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. It's always great to receive such a positive review! We're very pleased that your experience at Portlander was was enjoyable and we look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards, Kieran Wright.