“Okay - that's all, just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Quest Atrium Wellington
Quest Atrium Wellington
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   154 The Terrace, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Auckland, New Zealand
“Okay - that's all, just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband had stayed at Quest apartments on business before (but not this particular one) so we thought it would be a good place to stay for a couple of days in Wellington with our daughter. It was okay, just okay. We had a 2 bedroom apartment. Good location, handy to everything, well laid out. But overall it just felt a bit tired and shabby. The bathroom was quite dark - no windows and only 1 light. No mirror in the master bedroom.
We slept well in the master bedroom, which was located in the middle of the apartment, so no external walls. Our daughter's room faced the atrium and every time someone came out of the lift the light went on right outside her window, which was a bit annoying, but perhaps this couldn't be helped.
In hindsight, we could have done better with our accomodation, and I wouldn't go back here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
questatrium, Public Relations Manager at Quest Atrium Wellington, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. Our location is indeed very central and handy for everything. Quest is part of the Atrium Towers building, and we are working with the Body Corporate around upgrading the common areas as we are aware that they need some improvement. Within the apartments we are on the latter stages of a refurbishment, with the bathrooms the next areas for remedial work. I note your comment on the hallway light into the bedroom, thanks for bringing that to our attention, we will investigate an appropriate solution.

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently booked a room here for the duration of my stay while giving a lecture at Victoria University. The stay was planned to coincide with a family visit back to Australia (coming from the US). A major reason for the visit was to see my older sister who had been battling ovarian cancer. It was she who suggested a May/June visit would be best. In fact, in April she took a dramatic turn for the worse, was hospitalized, and died a short time later. I was able to change my airline ticket and flew home to be with her. All this was about five weeks prior to the original dates I had booked for the trip.

When I approached the booking agency through whom I made the original room reservation to cancel the original booking I was told that when Booking.com approached Quest Atrium with my request to cancel the reservation they were told as follows (I quote verbatim): 'Unfortunately in this case the hotel was unable to accept the cancellation, and will charge the total amount of the reservation.'

I then wrote directly to the hotel, saying that, although I understood the hotel policy, surely there was a compassionate exception. It was bad enough to deal with the death of my sister, but to have to face the intransigence of a company that cites charitable causes on its website while denying what is surely a compassionate exception was really too galling.

I offered to show them proof of my sister's death, to no avail. Best of all, the hotel emailed me when I didn't show up on the night of the original booking to ask whether I still wanted the room.

Shame, shame, shame.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
questatrium, Owner at Quest Atrium Wellington, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear jmcinerm,

I am sorry you felt the need to post this review. I did write to you personally and at length offering our condolences and explaining our position. I also suggested you claim a refund from your travel insurance. There were fully refundable rates available to you at the time you made your booking, but you opted for the non-refundable heavily discounted rates. However, In view of your particular circumstances I also offered to transfer your booking to any alternative available dates this year, which I did not need to do. I apologise for the email from our reception staff, but I did not hear back from you and so did not know if you were going to continue with the cancellation, as generally guests who need to change their plans but have a non-refundable rate either continue with their booking or pass it on to friends or family to use, which we accept.
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Comfortable beds, very clean, all basic facilities and suitable for a family ... which can be hard to find accommodation for in central Wellington. Handy to Lambton Quay, cable car, observatory and parliament.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
questatrium, Owner at Quest Atrium Wellington, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thanks very much for your review. I'm glad you had a great stay with us, and enjoyed the central location and family friendly accommodation. We look forward to hosting you again on future visits to Wellington now that you have discovered us.
Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked a room for two people. On arrival found that the place was locked up and that there was a procedure to go through to get in. Reception closes at something like 6.30pm The access door is not labeled - so one has to do a discovery exercise to get in. The arrival notice said the booking is for 1 person - so they'd booked possibly the smallest room in the place - but Id booked a 'superior' studio for 2.
badly worn carpets and if your room is on the inside its EXTREMLY noisy if someone decides to turn up the TV early in the morning after a drunken night out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
questatrium, Manager at Quest Atrium Wellington, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our reception closes at 9pm in the week and 6pm at weekends. After that time we have an after hours access system. After your comments we did review our signage to check that it was clearly visible right beside our main entranceway, along with the phone that goes directly to our after hours service who can explain everything required for checkin. There is also a duty manager available at all times to help with any queries. Unfortunately I am unable to find your reservation from the information here, but if you would like to contact Aaron, the manager and let him know your booking reference, if there was an error made in the room type allocated we will of course make some recompense.
Taranaki, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week in a one bed room apartment with small balcony opening onto The Terrace.
Bedroom opened onto lounge area with sliding door that enclosed it so it was quiet to sleep in.
Well appointed kitchen and bathroom. Good secure basement parking with access from road at the back.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks very much for your positive feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and our facilities, and we look forward to hosting you again on future visits to Wellington
Hamilton, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom and a single bedroom apartment for two nights
Pre paying - huge mistake.

Our apartment was not serviced following our first night until -after repeated requests - about 3 or 4 pm the next day,

We remade our own beds using the same linen.

Blown light bulbs were not replaced despite repeated requests.

The traffic noise - even using the earplugs found in among the tea bags etc- is absolutely terrible.

We hardly got any sleep over our two nights there.

Management did contact us and offered a late checkout as some compensation - 2pm rather than 10 am.

I had suggested a refund of some sort was more in order but he countered with an immediate
replacement set of light bulbs and FREE internet!!!.

As we were already running late - in our unshowered and lack of sleep frazzled state - for a graduation ceremony and after dinner I took only the late check out.

We won't be back .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback, I am sorry you had a disappointing stay with us. Unfortunately at the time we had the difficult combination of being both very busy and shortstaffed, which is why the room servicing and maintenance was scheduled for later in the day. However following your comments we did see if we could review our processes. We are right in the heart of the central city which our guests find very convenient, so some traffic noise is inevitable. Guests are always welcome to ask in advance for rooms on higher floors and we try and accommodate all such requests subject to availability.
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked the Atrium at the last minute, and because it was cheap on www.lastminute.com. The location was great (although I found Wellington's steep hills and stairs hardwork). The hotel was not great, it was more the cumulative impact than any one single thing: when we arrived one of the two lifts wasn't working, the car park was extremely hard to park a car in, there were no dinner plates or forks (and when these were delivered they had to check all our cupboards to make sure we weren't lying), the kitchen only had one light of three working (and one that randomly flashed on and off), the pillows were thin and useless, one of the touch lamps in the bedroom only turned on via the powerpoint (only accessible by pulling the bed out), the DVD player was broken, and there was no air-conditioning/heating. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quest Atrium Wellington? Share your experiences!