“Cramped, rundown, overpriced!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 51 Wellington B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Cramped, rundown, overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed (luckily) only one night. Unfortunately, we'd pre-paid otherwise we would have left as soon as we saw our room. The room was very small and only just fitted a queen (?) bed. The room was noisy from the freeway. There is no ramp access and there was an awkward step up to the rooms on our floor. The bathroom was so small you had to sit side saddle to use the toilet. The toilet roll holder kept falling off the wall and the shower was very cramped. I seriously doubt they are of 3+ star standard, lucky to get two! Do yourself a favour and give this one a big miss.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I booked a 2 roomed apartment for myself and family for 2 nights because of location in the heart of Wellington CBD. We were on the 10th floor, overlooking the Terrace - quiet and good views of the city with glimpses of Wellington harbour. The apartment was OK - provided all the essentials to be self-sufficient but small bedrooms and the furnishings in the living area were well worn. We arrived late and had discussed after hours access with friendly reception staff before hand, which worked well. When we woke next morning, there was a strong smell of cooking spices (curry and / or garlic??) in the hall outside our room and by the time we left the following day the smell had intensified and spread into the lifts and the entrance foyer.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors and facing the Terrace are quiet with good views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hawke's Bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed with an overseas visitor for 5 days during New Year. This is the worst accommodation any of us had ever experienced. The 2 bedroom unit only had a couch/sofa for 2 when we commented we were told to sit on the dining chairs. Hardly relaxing or comfortable especially considering we were paying over $330 per night. The dining table was filthy, particularly where the glass sat against the steel frame. Our bedroom door wouldn't close as it was wedged open behind the bed - not very private! This was a 2 star at best and an absolute ripoff.
Raewyn, NZ

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Christchurch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Very shabby two bedroom unit for 2 nights. One food stained two seater couch for four people! Tiny little flat screen ?20inch max. Hair on bathroom floor. Just a very sub standard property starting with the (non existent) reception to the grimy condition of the apartment. Paid $440 and checked across the road at the Novotel where it turns out it would have been cheaper. Won't stay again and could not recommend for others to stay

Stayed March 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed 2 nights 23 and 24 march in 1 bedroom studio. Chose this place as it had a kitchenette which was great. Very clean, tidy, friendly staff and excellent appliances. Close to everywhere I needed to go and a bonus with complimentary gym and pool use 30sec walk up the road. I read a review that it was very noisy. I must've had the best room in the building because I had the best sleep iv had in a very long time. I would happily stay here the next time I visit Wellington.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Waikato
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I chose this site as it had a kitchen for my 3 night stay and offered a good price for the very central location. I was welcomed at reception on a Sunday, and given my key earlier than the stated check in which was great. On my way up in the elevator which had its vinyl floor removed and felt very industrial made me worry a little bit (even a sign saying 'sorry for the inconvenience whilst we update' etc etc would have been nice). The corridors were dark, dingey, and very basic, but walking into the 1 bedroom didn't give me any more hope. There was a large white stain on the carpet, near the centre of the lounge, about 20cm in diameter, as well as a scorch mark on the bench. As I would realise later this room had no curtains or duvet on the bed. I later went out to town and upon returning to my room it was obvious someone had been into the room and had shut the ranch slider ( which I had opened previously to remove the overpowering smell of chlorine). I went for a nap, to which I was awoken by ONE knock on the door followed immediately by 2 men entering the room calling out 'reception'. They then proceeded to put up a curtain rail and the curtains. I told them it was unacceptable to walk in on a single female sleeping alone in a bedroom, which they apologized for, but didn't seem to understand that I didn't want them to be completing maintenance on a room I paid a full fare for. I asked for the manager who 'wasn't in today'. I was so disappointed that this company thought it was acceptable to complete maintenance whilst people had paid for a room, let alone charge full fare for a room which was clearly not up to standard. I was given no warning that some work needed to be done to my room. But what really bothered me was how staff felt it a right to come and go as they pleased into occupied rooms.
After they left I had a wash, but found when resting my body against the edge of the sink it came clean out of the vanity cavity. I have photos to prove this and the stains. I went to reception and complained all the above, where I was taken to the same room on 5 levels lower. Although this room had much more dated appliances and stove than the previous room, as well as a TV half the size (a standard PC computer screen flat screen compared to a 32" in the first room), it did have curtains and no obvious stains.
The next day, whilst the housekeeping were steaming the wrinkles from the newly put up curtains, they pulled them off the rails. Thus we had another maintenance person come in whilst my partner was there to fix it up, this took all day as parts had to be sourced form across town.
It was an utter disaster. The view looked out to the motorway a mere 50m away, which was great to wake up to. Save money you money and AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Room Tip: Rooms here should be avoided at all costs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My partner & i stayed for one night, shame it wasn't longer.
Studio room was clean, tidy & spacious.
Great location.
Check in was closed but easily located keys & check out was straighfoward.
Would highly recommend staying at Quest on The Terrace when in Wellington.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quest On The Terrace? Share your experiences!