“I do not recommend!” 1 of 5 stars

58 Tory St., Wellington, New Zealand (Formerly Wildlife House)   |
Singapore, Singapore
“I do not recommend!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had to book this place because all the other backpacker places were full. I so regretted not booking in advance, which made me ended up in this terrible place! I think it is an old 5-storey ex-office building converted into a backpacker hostel. Imagine empty office rooms with metal bunk beds placed inside along with a very old office table and an old sofa that has lose its springiness. Carpet in the room looks dirty and yikes. Kitchen is terribly dirty and messy. Housekeeping came knocking at 11am and we told him it wasn't required, but he came knocking again an hour later. The worst part is, there is a bar downstairs which makes the place very noisy and simply just not comfortable to be in. Im summary, not clean. noisy. messy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Robbie N, Public Relations Manager at Wellywood Backpackers, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Backpackers are budget accommodation and the prices are lower than a hotel. Describing stating that the building is an ex office with bunk beds is not beneficial to us in any way. We are the new management and in the process of changing and upgrading the sofa / carpet. Our Kitchen is used by many guests and therefore you cannot expect as to station one staff to clean the kitchen after each guest used. It is the responsibility of the guest to keep the items clean and tidy after their use. If you were in a private room and have put do not disturb sign on your door knob, the housekeeping would not have had disturbed you. I am not sure if you were staying with us, as we do not have a bar downstairs.

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked a dorm night here because every other backpacker place was full and I wasn't going to go to the next price point up because I had to catch am early flight. It was so bad that I ended up staying out all night instead of going to my room for a sleep. Should have spent an extra $30 to get a room at the YHA around the corner.

Location is noisy but to be expected.

But, the rooms were filthy. Clearly had not been vacuumed for weeks. The whole place stunk. No ventilation anywhere. I wasn't convinced that the 'linen' had been washed. The bathrooms disgusting, floors unclean, toilet seats, taps and basins broken. Laundries had old socks and washing powder all over the floor. I didn't bother going up to the 'lounge' on level 4. Helpful staff at check in can't make up for any of this.

Also, security patrol each floor every hour overnight. This says something about their security or clientele or both

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Wellywood backpackers for a few nights because all the others hostels in Wellington were fully booked and that I made my booking last minute. Staff was really unfriendly.. The atmosphere of the hostel is really cold and it is way to big and empty. It is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in before. Don't go there it is awfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We foolishly left booking a room until last minute on the weekend of a rugby game and went with Wellywood despite bad reviews. We really shouldn't have. I was all up for being pleasantly surprised and I really wasn't. I've copied below an email I sent to BBH about this place as it really is the worst place I've ever stayed.

'Just wanted to send a quick email while still travelling to let you know that we stayed at wellywood recently and it was terrible. While I'm sure you receive bad feedback on hostels regularly I felt it would be a disservice to the other BBH hostels I have stayed in so far to not flag up our experience.

Our first night there housekeeping knocked and let themselves into our room at 11pm and left quickly without doing any housekeeping. Again at 5am we had a knock and a torch was shone around our room. The following morning we complained and were told it wouldn't happen again but no explanation was given. In fairness our second night was better but the toilets
and shower were uncleaned (some underwear remained on the floor for the duration of our stay) with one toilet roll for 2 bathrooms. When we checked out we rang security to get our key deposit as instructed and nobody answered or came for 15 minutes until I went to open the reception desk door to leave a note with the key. I am generally trusting but my feeling was that they would've let us leave without our key deposit happily.'

I have since received a response which tries to dodge the point and offers no apology. Basically this place is unclean, noisy at weekends, has unhelpful staff and isn't cheaper than alternatives. I hope nobody is reading this in a similar situation to myself and has no other alternative but an expensive hotel (looking back I wish I'd booked the expensive hotel).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We did respond back to BBH. I have cut and paste the letter that was send to BBH. It is not fair if a guest do not give accurate information about their stay in any hostel and choose to ventilate their feelings in Tripadvisor. Guest who cannot share dormitory room with others should stay in private room. As for this guest that will be my advise.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
Firstly, thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us here at Wellywood Backpackers. Sharon from BBH has forwarded this onto me.

As eluded to by Sharon to both yourself, and to me in separate emails, I agree that having guest feedback is extremely important to ensuring that we continue to monitor our standards, procedures and delivery of service, inline with guest expectation.

It is unfortunate to hear that your stay with us was a most unpleasant one and very disappointing to hear of your disappointment in our backpackers.

I am sorry that your stay with us was not more enjoyable, and from the feedback you provided, did not meet with your expectations.

Unfortunately, due to our security issues we had to go in to Dorm rooms to find out anyone drinking in the room. And also we actually received complaint from other guest in the same room says people drinking in the room. If it was a private room we would not go for checking.

And also there was fight happening outside the room around 5.00AM so our security went in to the room to make sure everyone is okay.

On the next day our reception staff received complaint( Verbally). My staff asked them to write down in the complaint form so we can give explanation but they refused to do. My reception staff was not aware about the drama as she was not doing the night shift. She passed the message to me but unfortunately they didn't leave their contact detail or they never asked for explanation.

Our shared bathrooms, toilets and showers are cleaned daily. Naturally, these get unclean and messy as guests use the facilities, until we attend to them, which is every day after check-out time, unless there is an unexpected reason to clean up again in the one day. As I know these areas were cleaned on the day of your arrival, I wonder if your expectation was that we would be cleaning up more frequently in the one day every time someone uses the facilities The state of the lino is fairly worn and permanently marked in areas and I do apologies for this.

Regarding security to get your key deposit, I believe that he must have went for toilet break or went for regular rounds as part of security. We have 5 levels so it would take at least 15 min for the rounds. He must have put up sign says Back in 15 Min. And i am not sure why he didn't answer the security phone. If you could give me more details like date and time then I would be able to investigate on that.

Whilst the concerns you raise do not reflect favourably on our hostel, I am grateful that you have taken time to provide us with your feedback. Again, I apologise that your stay did not meet your standards and expectations.
Marlborough, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently stayed at Wellywood on a school trip with a group of my students. I have stayed there on two previous occasions and it was fine and it is in an absolutely fantastic location for getting around Wellington city on foot.

This time however, I was incredibly disappointed with the state of Wellywood. When we got to our room I discovered that my sheet was dirty (it had oily-looking stains on it) and a couple of my students had no sheets at all. So we had to go down to reception and get sheets, which the front desk staff kept in an old supermarket trolley by the counter. They handed them to us in a manner that suggested we were not the first people to ask for new sheets that night.

My students were staying in a big 12-bed room that has two windows that wouldn't shut. In our three-bed room we had a curtain that was hanging down at one corner, very dirty walls and a big dirty stain on the carpet. The general state of the paintwork throughout the hostel was rough and chipped and the lino floors were perpetually sticky. During our stay the safety handrail inthe stairwell broke off the wall. Last, but not least, I used two showers at Wellywood and both of them had bandaids stuck to the wall where people had left them. As you can imagine, this was sickening.

I saw someone clean the floors and toilets once in the four days that we were there. Although they may have been cleaned while we were out. We were also told that the hostel was under new management, so I can understand that they might not have a good system of management yet if they have only just taken it over. But still, it was icky.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hostel last week, it was me, my wife and our 2years old son... We checked in on Sunday12may evening.. guy(Rubin) who checked us in was really polite and helpful...we booked for 3 nights and we enjoyed our stay so much that we thought of extending one more night...and again Rubin helped us with that... Nothing seems to be hard... He told us that he was not having the same room available for next day and told us to move room... But he realised we were having our son with us so he told us that he don't want us to face any hassle and he extended us in same room...guy with glasses on shop was also really cool and polite...now little bit about few things needs to be improved in hosyel...you guys do need some more lights in lounge area... And toilets need to be checked regularly...before I forget about the beautiful lady who checked out us on last day...she was really cool too... Couldn't catch her name... But she was polite and friendly...smile on face and little chat about our stay made our day...I will recommend all my friends after going back to France and will highly recommend this place...

Thomas

• Stayed May 2013
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for three nights, in a female dorm. Check in was fine, although it was fairly clear that the staff member was new and not entirely confident. The decor of the building could do with a spruce up, as it is looking rather dingy. I can see that at one point the film theme would have been quite funky, but at present it looks quite dark. On entering the dorm I found that I was essentially disturbing what felt like someone's private bedroom. My dormate mentioned that people didn't usually stay in the room. The bedlinens were clean, if slightly musty and the room was basically clean although did not look as if it had been vacuumed for a while. The toilets were reasonably clean, but the showers were certainly not deep cleaned while I was there as the same soap scum and razor head remained in place throughout.
The kitchen was quite grim. There were not enough tea towels and at one stage I saw a long stay resident blow his nose on one and put it back. There was a reasonably cheerful television area, where people sat.
Noise levels were very high over the weekend during the night, with people running up and down the stairs and corridors and screaming. When I returned to the hostel at about 10pm the front door of the hostel was surrounded by people smoking from the bar next door.
Overall, I did not enjoy my stay in the hostel. I feel things could be dramatically improved with more present visible staff. Apart from check in, departure and in the shop, I did not see any staff at any time. I did not see cleaning staff or staff checking on facilities. I have stayed in a wide range of hostels in NZ and around the world, and this is the fewest staff that I have seen for a hostel of this size. It is not the worst hostel I have ever stayed in, but I would not stay again unless I was confident that staffing levels had increased.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Wellywood Backpackers? Share your experiences!