“Slowly going downhill” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Hotel Wellington

You added Comfort Hotel Wellington to your Saves list
Comfort Hotel Wellington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   213 Cuba Street - Dunlop Terrace, Wellington 6141, New Zealand (Formerly The Chancellor)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF Room Rate
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Slowly going downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed for two nights which was one too many. The room was VERY small and pretty uncomfortable for two. Not enough towels, and there were stains on the sheets and towels. A plug point that didn't work and a loose showerhead pointed to maintenance work needing done. Tea and Coffee making facilities were also very poor. This place was a lot better a few years ago. Still, great location.

• Stayed April 2014
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Fragglerock1981
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are compact, but are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers
I have taken careful note of your comment in regards to the stains that you noticed on the linen and the loose showerhead; please accept my sincerest apologies. Your comments will be reviewed with the team.
Again, I really appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Olivier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights. We picked it for its price and location. The hotel is very well located near the centre of Wellington and only 15 min drive to the airport. The rooms are modern and clean, with large shower rooms. The beds are a little small but you can live with it for a few nights. It can get noisy on Cuba street so ask for higher floor and to be at the back of the hotel. There is no air con which did mean you need to keep the windows open at night which does add to the noise.
They also have washing rooms of each floor, only $2 per go. And a nice spa bath room which you can use (ask reception for key).
They also have parking at $25 a day, but it is secure and right next to the hotel.
Overall we enjoyed our time, it was good value and didn't disappoint us. Perfect place to stop off in Wellington if your budget is stretched.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Venetiar,
Gracious greetings from Wellington! Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to write us a wonderful review! We are pleased to learn that you've enjoyed your stay with us and will continue to strive and excel to meet your expectations. We look forward to having you with us again in the near future! Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Interestingly this appears to be two hotel blocks, one an economy stack of rooms, the other an stack of higher quality suites but both sharing the reception, bar, restaurant and pool. We booked four nights in the economy side and found the room to be of a good standard, small but clean with no a/c (the standard in NZ). Unfortunately we found being on the first floor front much too noisy after midnight mostly due to the fabulous location near the top of Cuba Street. Next morning we asked to move and got a larger room (322) on the top floor at the rear of the hotel with an extra window for really good through ventilation and very little noise.. The transfer was done while we were out without any fuss at all. The hotel breakfast, buffet style was magnificent with no limit on how much you ate: so much so that each day we only needed "a flat white and a stickie" for lunch! We had a complimentary swim in the 12m pool and lazed in the hot tub with no one else in sight. It is in a fabulous location for exploring the city centre on foot and has an old world charm that sets it apart from the competition inits price range

Room Tip: Room 322 top floor rear - a long walk down the corridor but worth it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear RamblerBournem,
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. The team takes great pride in the service they deliver and I was pleased to share your comments with them.
I look forward to welcoming you again in a very near future, please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will organise your reservation personally.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We booked this hotel for three nights and was quite reasonably priced.

Not too much to say, the room was quite small, couldn't really spread out, but the bed was comfortable and the shower was really good! There was no minibar though, and not much milk was provided for your tea and coffee.

Great base point to stay in Wellington and close to some good restaurants and walking distance to everything.

Room Tip: Take note if you book the 'Quality Hotel' or the 'Comfort Hotel'.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Food_Travellers_LS
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am glad to read that you have found our location a great base point to stay in Wellington and close to some good restaurant. As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are compact, but are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers.
During your next visit in Wellington, you may consider to reserve a room into the adjoining CQ Quality Hotel Wellington, 4 Star Plus Qualmark, all suites are very spacious with Queen size beds and equipped with modern kitchenettes.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel was central and there was lots of great cafés and restaurants close by. The rooms were an ok size. Free wifi for every night of our stay, but it seemed to drop out a fair bit. Parking was $25 night. The pillows were very uncomfortable and lumpy, we woke up both mornings with sore necks.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Jacob,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I was very disappointed to read that you noticed that the pillows in your room were uncomfortable and the internet access was dropping in and out. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Executive Housekeeper and the maintenance department for their review and action. Thank you for bringing this to my attention
Jacob, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My son (11) and I stayed one night recently. My mum had stayed with him before and both had quite liked it. The decor is old and dated and everything is showing signs of wear. This is made up for though by the fantastic location, the heart of Cuba St, handy to everything. The issues I had were that when we arrived there were shards of glass in the bathroom near the shower. It looked like someone had dropped a glass on the floor and the room had not been cleaned properly. I called and someone came up to see to it but she just kept saying she didn't see how it had happened as the shower door was intact. Quite frankly I didn't care if she could figure it out or not, the room had obviously not been properly cleaned. The other issue was that the lift is very noisy and we had to listen to it going up and down every time someone used it. Apart from those two things I think the price reflects what you get, and I feel that if we had been further from the lift and without the glass on the floor I would have rated this place a 3.5-4.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Cuba St side, and well away from the lift!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Interpretergirl,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I was very disappointed to read that you noticed a poor state of cleanliness in the bathroom. We strive to ensure that all rooms and bathrooms are checked prior to our guest’s arrival as a quality control measure and in this instance it seems not to have been the case. Your comment has been forwarded to the Executive Housekeeper and her team reminding them to be more vigilant in quality management to minimise the risk of this reoccurring in the future.

I have taken careful note of your comments in regards to the state of our rooms and would like to inform you that we are in the process of finalising our refurbishment budgets to ensure that the quality of our product remains at a consistent high standard.
As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers.

On your next visit, I would be happy to assign one of our quieter, east-facing rooms and away from the main lift upon request.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was here for a conference last week and had an amazing stay! The staff are absolutely fantastic, led by an incredible manager, Olivier - love your work guys!
Brilliant location with spotless comfortable accommodation, perfect for a good nights rest after a busy day in the boardroom!

I look forward to my next trip to enjoy more of your great hospitality.

Thanks!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Gracious greetings from Wellington! Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to write us a wonderful review! We are pleased to learn that you've enjoyed your stay and conference with us. We look forward to having you with us again in the near future!
Olivier

Been to Comfort Hotel Wellington? Share your experiences!