“"Uncomfortable, Stuffy and Loud"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Hotel Wellington

You added Comfort Hotel Wellington to your Saves list
Comfort Hotel Wellington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   213 Cuba Street - Dunlop Terrace, Wellington 6141, New Zealand (Formerly The Chancellor)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF Room Rate
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland
“"Uncomfortable, Stuffy and Loud"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Contrary to the name this was not a comfortable experience. After a real hassle with parking, tired we were lead to a room on first level. I had asked about the noise levels and was re assured it would be quiet. Not so, the night was long and sleepless. As for the room, the first thing I had to do was clean the basin from the black hair in the sink. Gross. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Customer service and front desk was cold and sterile. The only good things I can say about our stay was that the shower pressure was decent and the breakfast was good. We were thankful we only had to endure one night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your stay at CQ Hotels Wellington. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations. I appreciate you sharing your concerns as this allows us an opportunity to improve and rectify our level of services. I would like to assure you that the entire team and particularly the Front Office and Housekeeping team are taking the necessary steps to address the problems that you have raised to prevent any similar future occurrence.
On a more positive note, I am delighted that you enjoyed the shower pressure and your breakfast meal. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

CQ Hotels Wellington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

During a two-week stay on New Zealand's North Island, we stayed at seven different accommodations, all within the $120 to $160 a night price range. This hotel was bad. No air conditioning, no sound proofing (could hear people going to the toilet above us and next door, heard a guest throwing up, and the street noise was terrible). Also, no sink plug, hardly any toilet paper and a less than charismatic guy working on reception. Avoid if possible! Btw: we are seasoned travellers.

Room Tip: Check if there is air conditioning...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lyndell C,

Our downtown location can mean extra street activity on weekends, as much as we try to contain it. On your next visit, we would be happy to assign one of our quieter, east-facing rooms upon request
Once again please allow me to express my sincerest apologies and it is my hope that he will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We booked a standard twin room for two nights; one during the sevens, one 2 weeks later.

The location can't be faulted, and the staff were friendly. The rooms were clean, although the second room had a strong musty odour.

Our main complaint was that for the second night, we were booked into a room on the first floor that you could only reach via a small staircase. As we were hauling 30kgs of luggage around, this was less than ideal.

There was no air-conditioning in our Standard room, and the rooms can get quite warm.

Tips:
You get 30 min of free Internet access each day on the computers in the lobby. Wifi is not free.

If you need a taxi, Comfort Hotel has a deal with Green Cabs. Our trip to the Airport was $22, which was cheaper (for two people) than most other cabs and shuttles (including Super Shuttle). Probably worth checking which entrance the taxi will arrive at as there are 3.

Room Tip: Check to see if your room can only be accessed via a small staircase
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Harstone,

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the CQ Hotels Wellington. It is always a pleasure to receive such valuable feedback.
I have taken note of your comment in regards to the room you stayed with a strong musty smell; please accept my sincerest apology. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Housekeeping department for their review. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I also read your comment in regards to the staircase access to your room; please note that the hotel has a lift which helps all our guests to access their rooms at different level of the hotel and up to level three. Porters are also available to assist you at any time, please feel free to ask the reception desk for further assistance and this during any future stay with us. The team will be very happy to assist you.

The CQ hotels Wellington does provide a complimentary 30 mins WIFI or Broadband Internet access which is included into your daily rate; I am sorry to read that the Front Office team wasn't able to explain this clearly to you. I will forward also your comment to them to make sure this is fully explained or advertise clearly for all our guests.

As you explained we are committed to ensuring sustainable practices are used in everyday operations, and are proud to have this partnership with Green Cab, this helps our hotels and team to encourage all our guests to use environmental transports where possible.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I am looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We arrived on New Year's eve and the hotel has a nice reception area and well priced small, functional rooms. It's well positioned with lots of good brunch options nearby. I will stay here again next time in in Wellington. No free Wifi which is annoying.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear pjcand,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and in particular, the reception area and functional rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future.
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great service, great breakfast, great price, great location for all city and waterfront has to offer. Spent 3 days - 2 nights here - Clean and comfortable. The Cuba Mall is just great to enjoy with all the cafes and great shops. Lots of eating places within the Mall and down towards the town.....

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet is just delicious
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi Shelley
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular, the location of our hotel in the very famous Cuba Street.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

After reading lots of other reviews about rooms being small and noisy I was a bit apprehensive, but was pleasantly surprised.
The staff were welcoming, accommodating and very friendly. The room was on the smaller side, but perfect size for the two of us. The bed was comfortable, decent sized bathroom. It was very warm while we were there and being higher up meant we could keep our windows wide open for the breeze and we knew it was safe.
The only down side was that the TV was tiny and some other rooms do have much larger flat screen TV's but on the whole it was a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it.
The location is fantastic and I will def stay there whenever I am in Wellington. :)

Dear Ria
Thank you for your wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the services provided by our team.
In regards to your comment about the TV, we are currently finalising the installation project and it should be fully completed within the next couple months.
Thank you again for your positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in very soon.
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Not the best hotel I've been and certainly not the worst. We stayed for a week and I was ready to leave by that stage. The beds were really soft and the pillows were mediocre. However sheets and general appearance of the room were clean.

Bathroom was really good with a pretty decent shower. Being situated on Cuba Street there was no real problem with street noise.

We sampled the room service on the first night as we were so tired from the 36 hour trip. The menu was very limited, we only had two choices. However, it was very tasty and pretty good value.

The staff at reception were pretty good. I found the girl at reception a bit surly but I feel that maybe they get a few rowdy guests from time-to-time. However, this is no excuse. The others were okay. One of the guys looked like he was nervous, but I would be if I was working with her...

It is in a great location - Fidel's, Logan Browns etc... are just a hop, skip and a jump away. If you were coming here for a weekend, then I would highly recommend it but not for longer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Itchy_feet_2007,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at CQ Hotels Wellington.

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create a more enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington hotel in the near future.

CQ Hotels Wellington

Been to Comfort Hotel Wellington? Share your experiences!