“Fabulous 5 star hotel in a beautiful 5 star city!” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
wollongong
“Fabulous 5 star hotel in a beautiful 5 star city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Intercontinental Wellington for one night on a business trip, 2 weeks ago. My visit was primarily to check out the facilities and destination for conferences.
My stay at Intercontinental was delightful.
All staff were extremely helpful, room was luxurious (I had a corner suite which provided plenty of space, a good work station, views of the harbour and a large bathroom with spa bath). Bed was super comfy.
Wireless internet is important to me as I am always working, and I could not fault the connection and speed.
Location is spot on. Right in the middle of the shopping precinct and literally 2 minutes walk to the harbour. Lots of restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk.
Good conference facilities, the restaurant provides a wide buffet selection for breakfast.
I ate in the hotel's Mexican restaurant and had the best Nachos I have ever eaten.
The staff were eager to give me directions and suggestions for local activities and dining options. The pride that they take in their beautiful city is obvious.
5 star hotel and location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely review. The team pride themselves on the 5 star service they deliver, so they were pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. I am also glad you had the chance to experience our many hotel facilities; including the buffet breakfast at Chameleon Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Scott Hamilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed here on business and particularly enjoyed the excellent breakfast and courteous staff. The room was quiet, modern, spacious and very well equipped and the WiFi was good value. I will be staying there next time

Room Tip: Go for as high a room as you can get at the front for a lovely view across the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. The team and I are glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Intercontinental Hotel in Wellington NZ on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th May in a King executive club room, the beds and pillows are awesome and the rooms very roomy, The staff are attentive and very helpful, I enjoyed breakfast, pre dinner drinks and canapés in the Club lounge which are all complimentary when you stay on the higher levels of the hotel, from the main restaurant, Lobby bar and the Arizona bar next door I could not fault the food, drinks, service or price
This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and highly recommend it as a very comfortable and central place to stay when visiting Wellington

Room Tip: Try and stay in a Harbour View room as the views are stunning on a good day and looking over the wha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review from your recent visit. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay, in particular our Club InterContinental Floors and facilities. The team pride themselves on the level of service they provide, so I will be sure to pass your kind comments on. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

THE GOOD: Staff were very polite, friendly, helpful and they looked fantastic in their uniforms. The beds were really comfortable. The rooms were clean and well kitted. Great location. The buffet breakfast deserves an extra-special mention because I am a huge fan of a good breakfast!

THE NOT-SO-GOOD: It is on the pricier side. Inside the hotel, it is a bit dated and the corridors are dark and scary at night.

Overall, I enjoyed my 4 night stay here but there was nothing to rave about.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, in particular the buffet breakfast served in Chameleon Restaurant. The team and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington again soon.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Firstly, this hotel would have received 4 stars from me, but we were so disappointed in the Chameleon Restaurant it has had to lose a star (see my separate review on the restaurants own Trip Advisor entry). This hotel is nice and centrally located and the staff are helpful and friendly. I was told on check-in that my room had been upgraded per my Plat Ambassador status. I had booked a standard Club Room and was upgraded to a Spa Club Room (slightly larger, with harbour view and a whirlpool spa bath). A half bottle of wine and a selection of cake and a macaroon were already in my room, along with a short letter from the hotel General Manager. The rooms are good enough, though quite dated in my opinion. Whilst the club floor was okay, the other floors in the hotel looked even more dated; corridors looked a bit like a private hospital (bare, dated carpet and a wood trip midway across the wall).

The breakfast in the club lounge was basic continental, so we used the hotel restaurant for a hot breakfast. Unfortunately, the service was terrible on all nights of our stay to the point I'd consider a different hotel (see separate review). The club lounge provided cheese and wine in the evening and a tasting plate of 3 miniature items served in the main restaurant. I have to say, the tasting plate food was consistently excellent, leading me to believe the service, staff and chefs in the restaurant in the evening are probably a lot better. Sadly, we didn't have enough time to test out this theory.

The hotel has free wifi (at least on the club floor - not sure about the rest of the hotel), but you need a new code every 24 hours and it's strictly 1 code per device. This led me to me having having about 12 codes over a 3 night stay (laptop, phone and tablet). This system probably needs to be looked at as it's not really fit for purpose these days, where carrying at least 2 or 3 wifi devices is now the norm.

Finally, quite bizarrely, on my final day of my stay, the water in my room suddenly stopped working (turned on the taps and nothing came out at all). The staff in the club lounge were apologetic and reported it right away. When I returned in the evening, the member of staff apologised again and told me it was actually the entire floor, caused by an empty water tank. The problem was resolved by the time I returned.

I think this review is making my stay sound more negative than it was. Essentially, the hotel is average to good, but the breakfast service in the restaurant is poor. I wouldn't have a problem staying here again, but I would perhaps look at other options to see what else is available. I think, given the size of Wellington, there isn't much competition to drive standards up.

Dear RossLo,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. I was extremely disappointed to hear of the shortfalls you and your colleague experienced, in particular the difficulties faced during breakfast in Chameleon Restaurant. I would like to sincerely apologise, I can assure you this is not indicative of the usual high standards we pride ourselves on. Please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@ihg.com so I may have the opportunity to discuss these points with you in further detail. As a valued Platinum Ambassador I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington so we may further restore your confidence.

Wanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Found the service here to be very friendly. From the moment we arrived we were greeted in a friendly polite manner which continued at the reception desk. Room was clean enough but dated. Air conditioning wasn't the best.
We ordered room service which was delivered promptly but wasn't very hot. Breakfast was very good, with everything provided that we could have wanted.
However the best part of this hotel was the location. So close to the TSB Arena and to the cafes and shops of the central city.
The only negative was the two pairs of men's underpants that my daughter found under her bed. Not something I would expect of a hotel that charges so much and advertises itself as a upmarket hotel - and at the end of the day something that really let down the great service and experience we had had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay overall, in particular our central location and friendly staff. However I would like to sincerely apologise for the previous guests garments left behind in your room.Please rest assured I have followed with the appropriate manager in regards to this matter, and protocols have been put in place to ensure this does not happen again. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.

Best regards,
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on holiday with my husband. The room was fine---we had a room on the club floor-----the shower is in the bathtub and the shower head is a bit low---and I'm only 5 feet 2! There is a nice breakfast buffet and the hotel location is very good and very convenient. We had emailed the concierge to book dinners for us which they did. We decided to eat more casually than we planned our 2nd night and checked with the concierge that morning about trying a Vietnamese restaurant and canceling our current booking. She said no problem and no need for a reservation at the Vietnamese. WRONG. I called them myself that evening and they were fully booked with reservations. I'm glad at least I called as we were planning to take a cab. We let the concierge know we were unhappy----a different concierge was on duty and he was also unable to get us into the Vietnamese restaurant, but said he'd book an Asian Fusion for us. HAHA---we got to the restaurant to be told they DON"T TAKE RESERVATIONS---we could wait 30-40 minutes---that's with the LOUD THROBBING music and massive crowds. I won't be using the concierge there again We came back to hotel for a drink and dessert in the bar, but after waiting 20 minutes and finishing our drinks, no dessert ever came--it was on the bill though! Rough end to our visit there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to hear of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest apologies. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests a great experience at all times and I would like you to rest assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. If you would like to get in contact with me further please email wellington@ihg.com so we may discuss your concerns.

Scott Hamilton

Been to InterContinental Wellington? Share your experiences!