This hotel was a former gentleman's club, and very little has been changed. The signage is all there, and the rooms are labeled with their former inhabitants' names. There is a working old-fashioned elevator. The stairway still has giant pieces of taxidermy and lots of framed old prints. The atmosphere the place creates is excellent.
However, with that old-fashioned charm comes a lack of modern updates you have to be prepared to accept. The bathrooms were the best part of the room--really huge with enormous tubs and lovely Molton & Brown toiletries, fluffy white towels, etc. The bedroom, however, felt a bit shabby, but it all suited the atmosphere, and it was comfortable. The space was a bit stuffy, but we opened the windows and that took care of the issue. We found the wifi to be acceptable.
The location was very central and convenient in many ways, right by the cable car stop, not far from Parliament and government buildings. It was definitely a bit of a government/business district, though, and in hindsight given our preferences it would have made more sense to be in the Cuba Street or Te Aro areas. But we walked over to Cuba Street each day in 20-30 minutes, which was fine. In fact, we really walked all around, so clearly the location was very central.
Overall we would recommend this hotel. It felt like good value and we were charmed by the old-timey atmosphere.
- Also Known As:
- Wellesley Hotel Wellington
- Wellesley Boutique Hotel Wellington
- Wellesley Wellington
- Wellington Wellesley
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in central Wellington each of the beautifully furnished rooms possesses a unique character and charm and offers the utmost in comfort and privacy. Personal service and attention to detail is a priority and superb dining completes the experience. Spoil yourself with a stay at Wellington’s finest boutique Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Olotels and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Wellesley Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.