“Great place and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Guest House

You added Richmond Guest House to your Saves list
Richmond Guest House
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   116 Brougham Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Free breakfast & wifi!!
Ranked #21 of 51 Wellington B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great place and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Amazing service and great location with very attractive refurbishment keeping up the early victorian look in this pristine Wellington hotel,Lovely room with own bathroom and great bed with breakfast and free wifi all part of the deal , I cannot fault this hotel at all , Highly recomended and an awesome stay

Room Tip: I had room 9 downstairs , quiet and out of the way
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lower Hutt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

John was so cool and accommodating , the location was excellent my room was large and well appointed, so clean and comfy , breakfast plentiful and good value , i will recommend to all was a pleasure to stay there

Room Tip: Room 7 , just been redecorated
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Richmond Guest House is a very well managed and comfortable lodging. The rooms are well maintained, warm, and clean and tidy. As are the kitchen and lounge areas. The rates are very reasonable too. John is a neat guy who enjoys a good yarn and has a great sense of humour. I live in the Manawatu and work in Wellington 2 or 3 days a week. This is only my third stay, and in this short time I've decided that the Richmond Guest House is my preferred accommodation of choice. Its location makes Richmaond Guest House a very desriable lodging with easy walking distance to the Basin Reserve (cricket fans), Te Papa Museum and the CBD. John goes out of his way to make his guests feel at home and happy during their stay. I strongly recommend the Richmond Guest House as a place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable, well furnished and clean and tidy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Invercargill, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me & my husband were planning our Christmas Holdiay and made contact with John from Richmond Guest House.
Before making the booking my husband asked John a couple of questions to which he received very rude replies.
To us the questions were not stupid or inaporiate but reality of my condition.
I am on Medication that has to be kept in a fridge or is becomes inactive.My husband asked John if there was a fridge available and how safe the medication would in there as if it was to go missing or be damaged there would be dire conquences for my health.
My husband felt that he was belittled & disrespected by John and after a couple of more questions and a couple of more inaporitate answers from John my husband started to feel uneasy.
Even tho John had made my husband feel like this he made a booking anyway against his better judgement.
After sleeping on it for the night and talking to a local motelier today we decided to cancel our booking this evening
If this is how John treats people without even meeting them I shudder to think how he treats people in person
If you choose to be in this industry which John does you have to be prepared to be asked questions that to you may be out of the ordinary but to the person asking the question is VERY relevant.
We will not be staying with John but we will be telling anyone that asks what our experience was.

Carterton New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked my accommodation in Wellington and it was great value, clean and so near to town. I really enjoyed my stay, Everything was great. John was a wonderful Host and made you feel so Welcome. The view over Wellington was great as well. Breakfast you had so many choices actually you were wondering just what to have as there was far more to choose from than you would have in your own home. Parking no problem. A really good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Having not stayed at The Richmond for a while it was so nice to be back in Wellington and staying in a clean and tidy, homely B & B. You can tell people feel relaxed and at home by the vibe of the other guests staying there. Such an easy stroll into town that we didn't once move the car. A hassle free and excellent way to spend the weekend. Cheers John!

Room Tip: Not sure about the others but Room 4 was a nice size, clean and warm.
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Firstly, when I booked by phone and asked a couple of questions, John kept saying "you obviously haven’t travelled very much!" which was a bit rude given he hadn’t met me yet. Despite this I booked 4 nights.

On the first morning I was making a cup of tea with my own teabag and John demanded I move my stuff which was a cup. Later at breakfast I asked if I could boil an egg (which I brought myself as I can’t eat cereals) to which I was rudely told no, despite the kitchen being used by another guest the night before - John said this was due to insurance - he declined to boil a pan for me. I didn't attend breakfast after that.

John was constantly making snide personal comments that were actually quite rude, such as talking of our ‘intellectual capabilities’ when parking. There were many mixed messages regarding being in the kitchen, using the crockery, etc.

It’s disappointing John is like this as the actual accommodation is great despite the porcelain - very clean, tidy, good bed and shower, great location. John doesn't make you feel very relaxed and I suspect he is a misogynist.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 as it is under the dining room/kitchen and you can hear john pacing back and forth set...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Richmond Guest House? Share your experiences!