“Great Place To Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Guest House

Save Saved
You added Richmond Guest House to your Saves list
Richmond Guest House
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   116 Brougham Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Free breakfast & wifi!!
Ranked #22 of 52 Wellington B&B and Inns
London
“Great Place To Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Stayed here whilst watching the Test match and found it a cracking place to stay,and the owner was superb,could'nt do enough to help.
Would definitely stay here again,room was spotless and comftable.

Stayed March 2008

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

Sageand onion must have been in a different Guesthouse.
I am a pilot working in the Middle East and travel regularly to Europe, Asia and Australasia. I stayed at several other places in Wellington before I found this one.
Always been really spotlessly clean and I simply don't believe the smell of wee. I stay in this place everytime I visit Wellington and that's two or three times every three months. It's clean, quiet, very central and the continental breakfast better than average by quite a bit. You can make a cup of tea and do a little bit of light cooking up until 9 PM. as long as you clean up after your self. Only fair after all.Breakfast of course is part of the price and is cleared up for you. Some people I have met there in professional jobs on transfer have stayed for three months. Proprietor is very accomodating. Doesn't matter what Time I arrive. He always greets me or makes a key available if very late. Any directions or help with services, he is very helpful with his advice. Others I have recommended to the Richmond have been similarly treated and more than happy with service. Value has got to be the best in town and convenient walking distance to everything. I'm on a budget and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else or for that matter even looking. I'll continue to stay.

• Liked — Convenience, informality, cleanliness
  • Disliked — no complaints about accommodation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
South East London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

What a dump! It was dirty and smelled of wee. The proprietor lacked any people skills and alternated between being overly friendly to being downright rude. We couldn't bring ourselves to get into the bed so slept on top, fully clothed. It really spoilt our stay in this otherwise lovely city.

Stayed March 2007
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

Although this guesthouse was clean and tidy, and the breakfasts were fine etc, we found the proprietor was quite unusual in his treatment of guests. At times he could be overly friendly, but at other times he could be quite abrasive, bordering on rude!
We left feeling quite uncomfortable with his manner towards us. Overall, a clean, convenient guesthouse, but I believe the owner could improve on his people skills!
Would rather pay a bit more and stay in a motel room with cooking facilities next time.

• Liked — Location, Price
  • Disliked — Proprietors attitude towards guests - very unusual
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

I stayed two nights at this lovely bed and breakfast which is walking distance to Wellington shops and Te Papa Museum. It was an incredible $50 per night for a lovely clean bed with crisp white sheets and clean towels. On my second night (one week later on my return journey) I did not arrive there until after midnight so the proprietor John had left a key out for me as pre-arranged and the heater was turned on in my room as a lovely welcome. There was also a little ensuite and a simple breakfast provided. The owner John could not have been more accomodating. He made me feel very welcome, a home away from home. I would recommend the Richmond Bed and Breakfast to anyone looking for real value for money at a quaint, clean and freindly premises

Hereford UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

I'm a backpacker traveller from the UK and I'm normally used to staying in hostels but I fancied somewhere more quiet, relaxed and homely. I couldn't have picked a more apt place than the Richmond. For such a reasonable price I received so much in return; a warm reception from the owner, a cosy room with ensuite and FREE internet access!!! Woo hoo! The location of the place is perfect; just a short stroll from the city centre, and yet it's so peaceful and quiet! I'd recommend this place to anyone who want somewhere conveniently placed in the city and also to get away from it all!! Keep up the good work John....

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

We arrived for our first visit to New Zealand via Wellington and Richmond Guesthouse was our first experience of the land and it was most definitely a very positive experience! John is always full of chat and very helpful! The guesthouse itself is clean and comfortable and after reading the horror reviews posted earlier on this webpage we were compelled to let it be known that our experience was all positive. We would recommend it as a location that is easy to access the city but also quietly tucked away from the hustle of the city streets.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Richmond Guest House? Share your experiences!