“Wonderful surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch
“Wonderful surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am a regular business visitor to the 'Westie' and stay there every time I am in Wellington because I loathe the Ibis, Travellodge etc which are the other mid-value hotels in central Wellington. The West Plaza is in a great location, extremely clean, and has a really nice ambience. The baby grand in the foyer which sits between a lovely bar on one side and the restaurant on the other and which is played nightly whilst dinner is served is a lovely touch, as is the always present large vase of flowers on it. This is not a 'flash' place, but this week when I stayed there I had a meal which could have been served up at a fine dining restaurant, it was that good. It was a chicken breast stuffed with spinach and cream cheese on a lemon and green pea risotto, and it was to die for! Absolutely top class, and after phoning to compliment the chef I found out he has been there only two weeks, an english guy, and gee I hope he continues to stay there. If you only have one reason to stay at the Westie, then do it for the food, but everything else is fabulous too, especially the great staff they have there and they've been there for ages too which indicates to me, because they're all young, that they must enjoy it there also because they've stayed. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are the best, although they are noisier, but they are bright and sunny.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you so much for talking the time to leave your feedback.
The staff will be pleased to hear your comments and I will pass them on to everyone.

We are a mid- range value for money hotel in central Wellington and your comments sum us up perfectly!

We look forward to seeing you when you are next at the West Plaza Hotel Wellington.

Julie Wilcock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Arrived after 11pm to be greeted by the night manager (forgot his name - but he was Indian) very friendly and went above an beyond in giving us a late check out. The hotel is centrally located within walking distance to museums, Cuba mall, etc you can't go wrong when it comes to location. Excellent value for money and I definitely will return back to the hotel. Due to our flights being cancelled, I didn't hesitate in returning back to the West Plaza. Once again service was excellent, room booked and we were settled in for an extra night with added bonus of a 1 pm check out. It was also nice that the hotel could hold our bags as we had late flights. One thing that I would like though is possibly having the rooms serviced a lot later in the morning e.g on our first morning we were woken at 9.25am to have rooms serviced. This is not a major - just a little tip for next time.

• Stayed December 2012
Thanks for your positive feedback.
We appreciate your comments they help us to be better.

Ashiya, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of Wellington, just in front of Civic Centre. The bus stop named Manners Street is only 90 second walk away, very convenient for us to get to many places in Wellington. The room was reasonably clean and tidy with enough space. The 5 day flat rate WiFi was NZ$50, which was fast enough to browse many sites. Free newspapers were provided Monday through Friday, not on the weekends, unfortunately.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My first contact with the hotel staff was when i had to phone them about changes to my hotel reservation. The receptionist was very accommodating and polite.

On our first day of check in, the receptionist offered to send a fan to our room. Although the room has no air-conditioning, the fan was cooling enough and even in summer, Wellington is windy and cooling, so we opened our windows in the day. There's a heater in the room too.

The location can't be any better because it is conveniently located just across the iSite, a short walk from/to the bus stop if you are taking the Airport Flyer, and also Te Papa Museum. The hotel has a cafe next to it and lots of shops/foodie places nearby (e.g. Cuba Street, Courtenay Place, Lambton Quay). Even after checking out, we could leave our bags with the counter and return later on to collect them before making our way to the airport.

The staff were very helpful and polite. Bed was comfy and television reception was good. However, the flow of water from the shower was very small. But hot/warm water was constant, even from the sink, which is awesome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Your comments are appreciated.
Thank you they will help others choose our hotel in Wellington NZ.

Wanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The friend I was visiting had booked here when visiting for a conference. The hotel was fully booked (with Hobbit premiere madness going on that week) but everything ran smoothly and the staff were great. This is not a flash hotel, but the room I shared was spacious, everything was clean, the location is brilliant and the hotel parking is GREAT: I was able to park virtually outside the door of the hotel and come and go as I needed for $18/24 hours. I would stay here again just for the location and the car parking. But I also really appreciated the staff, who were pleasant, helpful and efficient. The only wrinkle was not being told -- even though I asked -- that I could pull up in the car at the BACK of the hotel. There's no room to do this on Wakefield St, unless there's a car park free (and that's unlikely). I parked very illegally and rushed in with my bags. The porter is at the door at the back of the hotel on Bond St.

Note there is no air con and with the windows open in rooms over Wakefield St, we were disturbed in the very early morning by rubbish collection and inexplicable construction noise. Also there is not much sound insulation in the walls between rooms and the corridor but we were fortunate to have considerate and quiet guests around us. (I hope we didn't disturb them with our late night talks!)

The location couldn't be better. There are great cafes nearby, including Finc just two doors up, which is one of my top favourites in Wellington. You're across the road from Civic Square and the Art Gallery and from there you can take the foot bridge to the waterfront and Te Papa. If you're driving, it is easy to get to and from, from any direction. If you're making use of Wellington's rather good public transport, you're a block from bus stops.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We appreciate your feedback - your positive comments sum up the West Plaza Hotel, a mid-range value for money hotel in the heart of Wellington.

Many thanks
Geelong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days attending a conference held at the Te Papa museum. Centrally located, it was very handy for walking to points of interest around Wellington. The waterfront, public transport, cafes and restaurants are all nearby. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, 3.5/5.
My room was nice and clean. There was no air conditioning control in my room, 325, so not sure if this means its centrally controlled or not installed. It got warmer than I liked at times, so I would have preferred having air con or a fan. There is a heater. TV only has local channels, no cable/satellite. My room had a view of the other side of the hotel plus a tiny bit of the street. i.e. Nothing special. Would I stay here again? Yes, as long as the temperature wasn't too hot. (Outside temp was around 21-22°C when I was there.) I really liked where it was located.

• Stayed November 2012
Thanks for your feedback, it’s good for other travellers to hear about your positive experience at the West Plaza Hotel. We are a mid–range value for money property located in the heart of Wellington City. Your comments about the cleanliness and staff will be passed on to the team.

Thanks again
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here on business for a few days. Overall I was quite pleased and would recommend it for anyone staying who does not want or need Internet access. While the room condition and value was quite good the wireless Internet was expensive and did not work most of the time. On the plus side, the location was excellent with being within walking distance to Te Papa and many restaurants/cafes.

• Stayed November 2012
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
We appreciate your comments they help us to look at how we can further develop our offering. We are a mid-range value for money property in the heart of Wellington City and your comments will help others choose the West Plaza when next in Wellington.

Many Thanks
Julie Wilcock, GM

Been to West Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!