“Tale of Two Visits” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Tale of Two Visits”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed twice at the Ibis and the visits could not have been any more different. The first visit was great. We were able to get a parking spot at the hotel, the room was clean and the heater worked.

However on the second visit, there was no parking available which meant we had to find a spot on the street. Unfortunately it was four blocks away-a long way to lug luggage. When we got into the room, it looked like it had not been vacuumed in quite awhile.

And finally after a night out, we returned to the room to find the heater was not working. Because it was late, we just dealt with it. When I mentioned the problems with the room the next morning at checkout, there was no apology, just a “we will look into it”.

So if you are going to stay at the Ibis, try to secure a parking spot. And check the room carefully because they are some good and bad ones.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, October 10, 2010
errantmd,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, I am sorry that some aspects of your stay have not lived up to previous expectations. Car parking does need to be booked at the hotel as we have limited spaces and we do make this known via our own website as well as some third party websites. Car parking over the weekend on the street is free at certain times we do have an affiliation with a car park building in the next street and I am sorry if you were not made aware of this. Thank you also for your comments regarding the vacuuming of your room, I will pass on your comments to my Executive Housekeeper to follow up with her team and I apologise on behalf of the hotel for any inconvenience caused.

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Tauranga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed there over the last two days and won't ever again. A newly refurbished room with a terrible bed, king size = two single mattresses that have wire around the edge! Cheap pillows. UHT milk (blerk), white sugar, no plunger coffee or biscuits or newspaper. Smokers congregate in the entrance way and its a really bad look. Foyer is crammed and you go down an alley to the lift. Great location. Room was clean, quiet but basic and you can't forgive a bad bed. Sheet for a bed cover. Breakfast pretty basic, still no decent coffee, it's out of a push button machine. Other guests we spoke to felt the same and had read only positive reviews which like us encourage us all to stay there. Do you delete the negative reviews? At $199 per night we really expected more.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
chakendick,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington and I am sorry that you found the bed in your room to be uncomfortable. The rooms were refurbished in 2009 and all beds and mattresses were replaced. The room that you would have stayed in would have had a bed called a King Zip. It is a common bed type in hotels as it allows a Super King bed to be created that zips up the middle. If guests wish to have two beds in the room then the mattress is unzipped and the bases disconnected from each other. These beds are designed to be either a King bed or a King single bed and I am sorry if this bed did not meet your expectations.

With regards to your comments about amenities in the room, we are a 3.5 star hotel and do not provide certain services at the hotel such as plunger coffee in the rooms, biscuits or newspapers. We do however have all of these available for purchase at reception should you require them. We do have an instant coffee machine in the restaurant that is included in the price for breakfast, however if a freshly made coffee is required, again we have these available for purchase from the restaurant.

With regards to reviews being deleted on Tripadvisor, I can assure you that I nor anyone in the world has access to what anyone writes on Tripadvisor except for Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you felt that you did not receive value for money during your recent stay with us. Should you require these services for you future bookings in Wellington then I can recommend our 4 star Novotel Hotel who does provide most of these.

Kind regards

Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed here overnight on our honeymoon. The room was very basic (like a Travelodge/Premier Inn) and a bit tired but was clean and warm. There was a nice bar/restaurant downstairs with very friendly staff. The hotel was very close to the tram and a short walk to the city centre. A good place to stay if you're looking for a no frills hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
gymsusie3,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and congratulations on your marriage! I am sorry that you found the rooms tired, all rooms were refurbished in 2009 and everything in the room is new however I will take your comments on board. Thank you also for letting me know about the service that was provided to you by my staff, I will certainly pass them onto the team.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is still comfortable and clean, the Ibis is a good option. 5 minute walk from the Cuba Street area and Te Papa museum. Close to the tram and shops. Short taxi ride from the ferry.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
maddiefly,

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the close proximity of the hotel to all attractions in Wellington. We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the near future.

Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the week on business in central Wellington. The location was certainly quite handy and surprisingly quiet at night. The room although small was definitely tidy, modern and for the most part clean (the water/spill mark on the mug tray for example remained uncleaned the entire time). However a bunch of issues eventually amounted to a less than perfect experience even for a 3 star hotel (I would say 3.5 given that its quite modern). On the first night I realised the temperature of the shower kept fluctuating, it goes hotter one sec and cooler the next. While this was bearable, it was just very annoying. I called the reception, they were helpful and I was told it will be fixed the next day. It never was but I never called back. The next evening I realised my desk lamp was broken and had to call again to have it replaced. Also one day my shower mat was taken away and not replaced until 2 days later.

While the hotel had a full restaurant and bar, there was no room service and you will have to go down stairs yourself to collect the meal. It seems a little silly to have to carry your full priced main back up in a tin can. It was quite a surprise to see $7 fries served with Aioli from a packet instead of being made in-house.

You could argue that I’m being a little pedantic about all these things. But when you have a bad couple of days and feel you have to call reception so many times, it is just a bit frustrating.

The hotel also lacks a business centre and printing facilities. I suppose this is not a business hotel and hence will not be an inconvenience for most guests. I just feel that this can be something that will be handy to have for guests (ie printing out onward bookings, tickets, boarding passes etc, especially since so many things are electronic now).

To be honest if any of these things didn’t happen to you it will still be a good place to stay ultimately if you can get a good deal on your reservations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dynamac,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I am disappointed that the room cleanliness has not met our usual standards and you are correct in that a stain on a tray and a bath mat not being replaced is unacceptable. I will be passing on your comments to my Executive Housekeeper who will follow up with her team and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay. I am also sorry that there was an issue with the shower in your room, can you please contact me at Nathan.frost@accor.com and tell me your room number and I will have my Chief Engineer investigate. Thank you for your comments regarding room service at the hotel, it is an Ibis brand standard that we do not provide room service and in its place offer Grab it and Go which is similar to a takeaway option. We serve our meals in Tiffin containers to ensure that the meal stays hot and is easy for our guests to carry the meal up to their rooms as you would with normal takeaway.

We unfortunately do not have a business centre at the hotel however in the future should you require any assistance with having things printed, please let my reception team know and they will be happy to assist.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel is affordable and well-located if you have some business in Wellington CBD. The rooms quite comfortable and spacious enough for two double beds. However, there is no view and the windows do not open, so you have to rely on the aircon system for fresh air. During our stay, there was a power outage on one day, which made staying in the room impossible, as it heated up quickly. We had to leave the hotel to breathe some fresh air. As with many hotels in NZ, the charges for Internet access are absolutely outrageous.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
awesomniac,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington, I am pleased that you found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable. The hotel is in the middle of the city and rooms face either the light well at the back of the building or Featherston Street, so you are correct in that there is no view as such of the harbour or local scenery. Our rooms do not have opening windows but they do have hush glass installed which is a type of double glazing and blocks out any city or traffic noise. Thank you for your comments regarding the internet pricing at the hotel, unfortunately this pricing is not dictated by the hotel but by the service provider. We do have 15 minutes worth of free wireless internet access available per day in the lobby and affordable 2 hour or 24 hour plans and I am sorry if none of these plans met your requirements.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.

Whangarei, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I have stayed at the Ibis in Wellington before for business and have not been disappointed, this time we stayed for a weekend and managed to get a great rate.
The room was excellent for the price with a good selection of in house movies, sky tv etc. The bed was was a bit of a let down, King sized (made up of two king singles pushed together) but that aside it afforded a good night's sleep. It was clean and serviced daily by friendly and helpful staff, one even offered to return in an hour or so (after having her lunch) so I could have a nanna nap!
The aircon in our friend's room didn't work, so they wer moved to a superior room within the hour, outstanding!!!
The breakfast buffet was excellent, with something for everyone, my personal favourite was the waffle maker, but nothing was too difficult for the staff, who went the extra mile to ensure our stay was pleasant. The bar was a good spot for a night cap or a couple of pre dinner drinks etc.
The location is excellent as most of the 'attractions' are within walking distance or a short cab ride. There is a taxi rank right outside the hotel which makes things really easy.
Overall we had a fantastic stay and we'd reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Bill_Mariner,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I am so pleased that you were able to book early and get a great deal for your weekend away! Thank you for your comments regarding the King beds at the hotel, the King beds that we have are what are known as King Zip beds and are specifically designed for hotels. They consist of two King single mattresses that are zipped together and the bases also lock together. These beds can be split if required but are mainly designed to be one king bed. I am sorry if this type of bed did not meet your expectations. Thank you also for letting me know about the service you received from one of my housekeepers and the quality of the breakfast buffet, I will personally pass on your comments to the relevant departments.

Nathan Frost

Been to Ibis Wellington? Share your experiences!