“Pleasant, Central and enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%!
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Taranaki
“Pleasant, Central and enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

The staff were really pleasant and helpful and we felt very welcome. The room was small but clean and adequate with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was small but for only a two night stay was fine, being picky I would have liked a hand towel as well as bath towels. We did find that the restaurant was expensive for what we received. Our first evening was very noisy and we thought we'd made a bad choice but the second night was absolutely fine and overall our stay in Wellington was a positive experience and it was a great location for visiting all the city attrractions.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Gem_Starr,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington. I am pleased that you found my staff to be pleasant and helpful and I apologise for your bad experience in the restaurant on your first night with us. We are just about to change our menu so hopefully the next time you stay with us you will be able to experience it! We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

Our first stay at Ibis Wellington on business - we had an Accor card which we hadn't used all year. Unfortunately, the room chosen for us was dark (subdued natural light), stuffy (no opening windows; noisy air conditioning only) and the room only had a small perimeter around the queen bed - the smallest room I've encountered. Excellent shower; usual other amenities. Right across the corridor outside, a refridgerated drink vending machine kept us awake the first night with low frequency buzzing and woke us up with clunking sounds, late on our 2nd night. Ashley, on the desk was outstanding in a crisis - very helpful with providing assistance to a medical emergency, and the restaurant waitering staff were very attentive. Food in the restaurant was outstanding. Buffet and a la carte menu were outstanding - staff were attentive and a la carte meals were served promptly. We would recommend that guests vet their rooms rather than accepting them automatically, and recommend that refridgerated drink vending machines be removed from sleeping quarters to reduce disturbances. Great location for a business trip, very handy. We hope we have a better stay if we come back again in future. Thank you to those exceptional staff, who put themselves out for their guests.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
KarenAuckland,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the room that was allocated to you and in the future please do not hesitate to let reception know if you would like a different room. Thank you for letting me know about the service that Ashley provided you with your emergency, I am aware of the incident and have already thanked him for his efforts. I will pass on your comments regarding the restaurant to my Food and Beverage Manager and all staff concerned. We look forward to seeing you next time you are down for your next business trip.

Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We always stay at the IBIS when in Wellington. It's in the heart of the city, just minutes away from Lambton Quay and Willis Street. The rooms have been redecorated and look clean. The rooms are not huge, but are good for the price. The staff seem to have had an attitude change and are friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is overpriced but is more than adequate. Broadband, like many NZ hotels is also overpriced, much cheaper to go to an internet cafe.

The only issue we had was other guests talking loudly in the corridor at 11:30pm. Overall, another good stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
rat1512,

Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Wellington, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for noticing the refurbished rooms at the hotel, this was completed in September and I am glad that you enjoy the fresh new look. You will be pleased to know that as of today we have free wireless for guests for 15 minutes in our lobby to assist guests who want to check their emails without paying for a full internet plan; hopefully you can take advantage of this during your next stay. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by guests talking loudly in the corridor, if this should ever reoccur; do not hesitate to contact reception.

The Shire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

Rooms were standard and clean, location fair but none of it justified the price or the terrible service.
Unfriendly, unhelpful, staff. On arriving and being extremely tired, we were told there were no parking spaces available but that we could park on street till 8am. This was incorrect it was 6am and although we should have checked we did not and our car was towed, along with all our clothes etc and it was due back at the rental by noon. The staff were then extremely unhelpful about locating the towed vehicle, the staff were infact dismissive, we eventually located a police station who helped us. We never complained nor made a fuss over this incident. (We should have in hindsight)
But It didn't end there, the following day we were flying home early and asked them to call a taxi. We waited out front for 1/2 hour, No taxi, we asked the staff, they looked obviously guilty - had forgotten us, we then waited another 15mins when a taxi did come it was not one they had called. We only just made our international flight. The staff were generally unfriendly all around, something we had NOT experienced with the rest of New Zealand hotels or Wellington. For the price we paid I at least expected service.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
Medievalgreen,

I am upset that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington. I am very sorry that there was an issue with your parking whilst at the hotel however I can assure you that all on-street parking surrounding the hotel does start at 8am except the marked clearway near the hotel that starts at 7am. If you have been given a ticket before 8am then this is incorrect and I would be happy to speak to my contact at the Infringement service to investigate this for you. I am concerned that you felt my staff were dismissive in any way with this situation and will pass your comments onto my Front Office Manager. I am also sorry there was an issue with a taxi as we do have a taxi rank in front of the hotel and usually have plenty of cabs available however your cab should have been there for you.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We only had one evening to experience Wellington. The hotel is situated in the downtown area, so in the early evening hours most businesses were closed. It is within about a 10 -15 minute walking distance to Cuba St. where an electic mix of restaurants, nightlife, and shops are situated. The hotel was very busy during our stay, a couple of busloads of guests arrived shortly after we did. Front desk staff was very friendly and very informative. I observed them with a difficult guest, and the agent maintained her composure, poise, and genuine hospitality. The rooms are small, but for a one night stay combined with a great internet fare a terrific value! There was a hotpot to make tea or coffee in the room. If you plan on taking the Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferry to Picton, it is probably four or five blocks away--very convenient.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
lololas,

Thank you for your fantastic comments regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington. I am glad that you enjoyed the location as well as the service that my staff provided you during your stay. Thank you also for letting me know about one of my staff who remained hospitable in a difficult situation, I will pass your comments onto my Front Office team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.

Canterbury
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

Good location - but felt very ripped off with all the extra charges - ie internet $33, very basic breakfast - very venue - could not find a seat - $20

Will not go back - there are alot better places in Wellington

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, November 15, 2009
ConsultantCanterbury,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Wellington. I am disappointed that you did not find the hotel to be value for money. I appreciate your comments made about Internet costs; we are currently working with our Internet provider to reduce the cost of the internet as we understand how important that is for our customers. I am also sorry you found the fully cooked breakfast buffet to be of poor value.
Mangawhai Northland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

My sister and I arrived later than expected on the Overlander so were rather tired on arrival, but we received a very warm welcome. We were pleased to see the hotel provided a 24 hr bar and food service, so we enjoyed a drink and a light meal. Our twin room had 2 queen beds (better than the expected singles!) and had recently been refurbished. Thoroughly deserving of its 3.5 star Qualmark rating. We only had a day in Wellington before flying home, but the Ibis is so centrally located we were able to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go: Te Papa, Art Gallery, Parliament, Cuba Street shops etc. Would certainly stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
IbisWellington, General Manager at Ibis Wellington, responded to this review, October 29, 2009
Ollie078, thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Wellington. I am glad that you enjoyed our recent refurbishment of the guest rooms and acknowledge our 3.5 star rating which coincidentally was re-issued to the hotel 2 weeks ago. The hotel is centrally located to everything in Wellington and it looks like you took full advantage of this during your stay. Thank you also for the recommendation to others.

Nathan Frost

Been to Ibis Wellington? Share your experiences!