“A touch of class in downtown Wellington” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   170 Wakefield Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“A touch of class in downtown Wellington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

In Wellington on business, I upgraded on arrival to an Amora Club Suite and didn't regret paying the little extra. The rooms were enormous (especially for one person). They had thought of and supplied everything that I could of needed for my week long stay. I especially liked the private dining area for club suite guests. It really added a touch of class to the stay. It even had a private glass elevator for easy access from the lobby.

With Wellington famous for its many restaurants, I expected to be heading out each night and sampling different food. I tried the Amora's restaurant on the second night and didn't eat out after that. I had to have the same steak meal twice because it was just that good. I find it hard to get a blue steak anywhere in New Zealand but the chef at the Amora did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra and upgrade to a club suite. The complimentary breakfast and size of the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed here on the 'Run Away with Your Husband' package for one night while attending a show in town during the Arts Festival. Our deluxe room had fantastic sun and a view over Te Papa and the harbour, good-sized bed, and large modern TV. Bathroom facilities were fine but nothing special, there was a separate bath but it was rather too small to allow for a luxury soak. We had a comfortable night's sleep and lazy lie-in in the morning after our late night out on the town. Service was good - speedy but unobtrusive.

The hotel is excellently located just one block from Courtenay Place, and so very well located for theatres, bars and restaurants without being too close to the noise.

Unfortunately the restaurant lets the hotel down a bit, and if you have the choice I'd go elsewhere. The food at dinner was good, but the service was a little amateurish (although friendly enough) and certainly not what it was in the days of the Duxton Grill. We couldn't try the advertised after-show dessert menu because the kitchen was closed when we got back from our show at 9.45. They were also really struggling with service for a large crowd at breakfast the next day, and the quality and range of the buffet was only average for a hotel of this price.

Room Tip: Harbour-view rooms on the higher floors
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AmoraHotelWellington, Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear SuzanneD_001,
We appreciate your feedback; I have taken on board your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant and will ensure that we address the issues that you have raised. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your room, service and the location of the hotel, and that you managed to get some sun during your stay!
Regards,
Liam Craughwell
Hotel Manager
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had stayed at the Duxton Hotel which was the Amora's previous name a few years ago. I was interested to see the changes that had taken place since their refurbishment as the Amora brand.

The main changes seem to be in the bedrooms themselves, but not the bathrooms, which still seem quite dated. The new refurbished rooms look much better than before, with flat screen tv's which hotels should all have now.

I stayed in both a deluxe room and a club suite.

The Club Suite had a bedroom, quite similar to the deluxe rooms but maybe slightly bigger with more luxurious chairs. It also had of course, a seperate lounge area with another flatscreen tv, sofa and chairs and a comfortable chaise longue.

The Suite also had 2 washrooms, both of which were seperate to the bathing/shower area.

The customer service was very good. I had some initial problems with my first room and my needs were attended too very quickly. I would like to mention in particular the Assistant Front Office Manager, Mr Saleel Kelkar whom I found to be both professional and courteous.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Caught a cab to hotel from ferry and couldn't be dropped outside entrance as parked cars were blocking both lanes. No staff controlling this area. Booked the Amora Affair package (late check out, breakfast and bottle of wine) for two nights. Room was on the 5th floor and directly opposite the lifts but had good views of harbour and Te Papa. Wine was in fridge on arrival and you dont get another one if you book package for more than one night. Room was large and bed was very comfortable. Decor and furnishings are much more modern than Amora Auckland, however room doesn't have a kitchenette or table. The cooked buffet breakfast was pretty average, okay if just having cereal. Hotel is in good location.

Room Tip: Ask for room that is not opposite lifts.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Amora Hotel was very comfortable. The hotel is well located near the Te Papa Museum and Wellington wharf precinct. Great harbour views. Parking was $25 per night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Amora is in a great location if you are in Wellington for the festival or to visit the Te Papa Museum, which is by the way a must see. The hotel is on the harbour and picture windows provide sweeping and very beautiful views of the harbour, the waterfront and the museum. The rooms have clearly been upgraded and updated recently and the linen, furniture etc is all good four star quality with a bit of edgey style about it. The bathrooms are clean and while a bit dated mine was fine with all the usual toiletries. Dont be put off by the corridors and some of the public spaces which have not been updated and had a very 80's feel to them - I was pleasantly suprised when I got inside my room. The higher up in the hotel the better the view. The Amora is on a main street and there is quite a bit of traffic even on the Sunday/Monday night I was at the hotel so a higher floor means less traffic noise. Room service in the evening was good even though they got the order wrong they rectified it fairly quickly.

Unfortunately there is a flipside to this relatively happy stay - this is not a business friendly hotel. The wifi charges are ridiculous and in the so-called business centre there are three computers on which you have to buy internet time in 30 minute lots from the reception desk which is on another floor. At no stage while I was there was this room attended so if you need anything you have to contact the reception desk again. The only staff of the hotel I saw came in to use the photocopying machines. They seemed to be printing off hundreds of place cards and it was a bit distracting if you were trying to work. In my case I was typing up some notes for a conference I was attending and was without my laptop. At the end of the 1/2 hour the machine indicated I needed to extend my time and pay more money - small problem someone had disabled the extention capacity and the system would not save any material - it shut down and I lost all my work. A helpful young woman appeared after I made a call to the reception desk and while she was keen to help she clearly knew less than I did but suggested I try a different computer. Tried again same thing happened on another machine. I gave up and wrote out my notes long hand. May seem ike a small beef but very annoying when you expect a certain basic standard of business support in a hotel that s holding a national conference.

However if I was travelling for pleasure this would be a a very comfortable and well located place to stay.

Room Tip: higher floors have less noise and better views ask for the harbourside of the building.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
AmoraHotelWellington, Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Dear maggs07,
I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was disappointed to read that your experience in our Business Centre did not meet your expectations, and I have taken measures to ensure that further training is provided to our Front Office team should the Business Centre be unattended in the future. I was pleased however, that you enjoyed our refurbished rooms, and I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Regards,
Liam Craughwell
Hotel Manager
Amora Hotel Wellington
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed at the Amora for 5 nights a couple of weeks ago. I was attending business meetings in the hotel.
Firstly, my room was on the 6th floor - others have said that there are better views from higher floors, but I thought my view was wonderful. The room was huge, very nice, and the bathroom was lovely (looks like mine had been renovated, as opposed to what some other reviewers have written). The room and bathroom were very clean, throughout my stay.
We had free internet as part of our meetings package, which was very useful. I don't know if they have it for regular guests.
I didn't use any recreational areas of the hotel, so cannot comment on them.
I thought that the additional $25 per day for breakfast was too much. Since I don't eat much for breakfast, I did not think it was worthwhile, and didn't take breakfast in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Amora Hotel Wellington? Share your experiences!