“Where were the animals?” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 189 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“Where were the animals?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Disapointed with our trip to the zoo. Didn't see too many animals, either the cages were empty and waiting for future zoo or they were just plain empty cause alot of places were devoid of animals. The high point of the day was watching the sun bears playing, they are a real hoot.

• Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
19 attraction reviews
“Small but perfectly formed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wellington Zoo is one of our favourite places to visit as a family. We usually start off with coffee at Mojo while watching the Pygmy Marmosets play. The keepers are always friendly another is lots of opportunity for interaction with the animals - don't miss the giraffe talk where you get the opportunity to hand feed them.

Milwaukee, WI
29 attraction reviews
“A cool little zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a lovely, small zoo. Go in with an expectation that you'll see some native NZ (and Oz) animals and can walk through a beautiful area on the trip. I would plan 1-2 hours to cover the zoo. That said, it's a bit pricey for what they have to offer, but I'm a zoo lover and don't mind supporting a zoo that's trying to grow. The most interesting part was how close I could get to some of the animals - in fact the wallabies weren't even in cages. Kids will love this zoo - lots of fun ways to interact (even a trampoline). Wear good shoes - you'll be walking up a lot of hills.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“great day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Lots to see and do, new enclosures and plenty of animals. Wear good shoes and don't take too much as it is up and down hills frequently.

Visited February 2014
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic day out!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I visited wellington zoo a few weekends ago and I thought it was great. I love that this zoo is so focused around conservation and helping animals out.

I went along to many of the talks and shows on offer and found them really interesting and learned lots. I particularly recommend the wild theatre bird show and the chimp talk.

I love how happy and well cared for the animals are (this is VERY important to me!). All of the animals had lovely spacious enclosures and habitats and a few times throughout the day I saw keepers giving the animals special toys to play with.

The keepers were very friendly and helpful and 3 times I met a keeper who had an animal out for people to learn about up close and touch. I especially fancied Lizzy the blue-tounged lizard! It's nice that the zoo workers make time to talk to every visitor and answer questions/even just make sure they are having a good time.

There is plenty for kids to do as well with play grounds, a sand pit, trampoline and tuk-tuk and jeep rides.

There are a few hills but plenty of lovely places to picnic. I didn't try the cafe because we brought our own food but would like to try it next time.

Overall 10/10 would recommend to all