“Not very large” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 125 Attractions in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Atlanta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
“Not very large”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I enjoyed seeing some of the animals. However, having visited many larger zoos, this one wasn't so impressive. The kiwi bird was cool though.

Visited July 2012
Wellington_Zoo_Trust, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hi heta l,
thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We value every visitor's views, and we were sorry to here that your didn't think we are very large. We aim to be the best little Zoo in the world, and whilst we're not the biggest, we like to think that visitors can enjoy a more intimate experience. A helpful tip is to check the talk times on our website, as visitors love learning from our Zoo Keepers about the work involved in caring for our animals. We hope to see you again.

Thames, New Zealand
40 attraction reviews
“Great zoo now that it has been redone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Last time I went here in January 2012 I was quite saddened by the smallness and non-natural enclosures but this time it was great with the new Asia Precinct and Green Zoo. The Tiger and Sun Bear enclosures were amazing! I loved them and the new keeper talks with those animals were also great and educational. Like last time, I loved interacting with the giraffes.

This time I also did the meerkat close encounter which I really loved! It is definitely worth the price!
The cafe had very good food. I really enjoyed myself.

Visited April 2013
Hi RoseZondag,

We're very glad that you've been impressed with our recent improvements at Wellington Zoo. Visitors are amazed at our new exhibits like the Asia Precinct and Hero HQ. There's always something new at Wellington Zoo, so come back again soon!

Wellington, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
“Best little zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been to many others in different cities in different countries but this is the coolest little zoo I have been to. All my favourite animals are here - baboons, giraffes and meerkat. It was great to see a red panda and the rare Malayan sun bear, plus the usual animals in a zoo. They offer animals encounters which I will try next time.

Visited May 2013
Hi liezlm_nz,
we aim to be the best little zoo in the world, so we were delighted so read your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks,
Nelson
“Wonderful Interactive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were greeted by staff, invited to pet various critters, encouraged to participate in the Wild Theater & enrichment activities - my son (11yrs) absolutely loved being a part of the play, naming the 'newly discovered animal', and making popcorn pinecones to feed the spider monkeys.

The talks by keepers were also really informative and delivered in a friendly personal way (not scripted like other keeper talks I've heard). And even without paying for a close encounters experience (which I would love to do next time), we were able to get very close and interact with a variety of native & exotic animals. A truly wonderful experience for adults, teens, and the young alike!

Visited June 2013
Hi KiwiFlyer13,
thanks for such lovely feedback. We're glad you had a great time, and we're always seeking ways to connect our visitors with nature, so we're glad your son got to help with enrichment. We hope to see you again soon!

Everywhere
“'Value for money'?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's a great outing for the young ones who don't expect much. Its quite pricey, but i don't want to give up on it just yet. Hopefully more will visit and it will get reasonably priced.

Visited April 2013
Wellington_Zoo_Trust, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi AfricanNomad,

thanks for sharing your feedback.

We want everyone to have a wonderful experience at Wellington Zoo, and we do everything we can to keep our prices as low as possible whilst funding our care and conservation for animals. If you'd like the flexibility of visiting Wellington Zoo as many times as you like in a year, you might be interested in our Zoo Crew membership - it's the perfect way to save money on entry and helps us provide the bast possible care for all the beautiful animals at Wellington Zoo.

Thanks,