“You could do a lot worse in Wellington” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Cable Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand   |
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
auckland
“You could do a lot worse in Wellington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed at the Museum Hotel whilst on a conference in Wellington. I had a deluxe stiduio room which was spacious, with a comfy bed, desk, ottoman, kitchen facilities and bathroom. The view was not great (of the offices and carpark across the road) but it was quiet. The hotel has a seaparate wing for 'residential' rooms and this was where my room was located. A good place to stay, just across the road from Te Papa but a fair walk to the main shops of downtown Wellington. Two complaints that I would have: the shower is one of those ones that is just an extension of the bathroom floor with a separate door. This shower was quite awkwardly placed beside the bath, and if you weren't quick with getting in there and getting the door closed, the bathroom floor was awash and quite dangerous. The spa bath looked great, but there was no plug and I waited 2 days for one to appear after phoning reception twice. Room service food was fine and a good standard of housekeeping, although the staff were noisy in the corridors and on the one morning I had the opportunity to sleep a little later, I was woken by the staff talking loudly to one another outside my room. Reception staff are excellent - very professional, polite and helpful. Two of my colleagues had problems with overcharges on their room bill but mine was fine. I would stay here again depending on the rate I could get. It was cheaper than normal with the group conference rate at $255 dollars - I certainly wouldn't pay any more that that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

This is now my 'go to' hotel - providing rooms available price that suits my work budget.

I have stayed in a Harbour view room, Classic room, and apartment in the residence wing. In the hotel part bathrooms are looking a little old, and cleaning was not perfect, but was adequate.

A couple of issues though - breakfasts are way too expensive and service if you are not having the buffett was very slow. The breakfast restaurant was very quiet (and we were there an hour!). I wonder if others did what we did, and that was go to the nearby by supermarket and buy breakfast foods which we ate in our rooms (there is also a bagel shop close by).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
East Anglia, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We only stayed at the Museum Hotel for one night and didn't eat there at all so can't comment on the food, but my main memory of our visit was that the receptionists were really welcoming and helpful. The reception area was unique - full of different types of modern art, which was really worth looking around. We had booked one of the cheaper bedrooms, but it was absolutely fine, normal for that standard of hotel, and the TV screen was the biggest I have ever seen in a hotel room.

We didn't want to splash out on an evening meal in the Hippopotamus restaurant so went for a wander and found a good Chinese nearby. In the morning we didn't have breakfast at the hotel as we wanted to spend the morning in the Te Papa Museum across the road, and had a coffee and cake there instead.

I would recommend the Museum Hotel for the great reception staff, comfortable rooms and also the convenient location for the Te Papa Museum.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed here the night before we needed to catch the ferry to the South Island so we wanted a hotel that was easy to get to and from, with parking available. We actually arrived early, having come down from Martinborough and found the hotel easily by following the road around the harbourside. We managed to park in the hotel's small car park although that didn't stop them moving it across the road at some point later in the evening.

The reception is quite quirky with object d'art everywhere, including a couple of very swish motorbikes. The receptionist told us our room wasn't ready but took the luggage and was generally very helpful - a bit of a contrast to the young man who saw us when we came back and used me as a shuttlecock between himself and the concierge as both denied having possession of my car keys!

The room was a big disappointment, very tired looking with a alrge but basic bathroom, not at all in tune with the downstairs environment. We couldn't even open the balcony door as the metal was completely rusted through.

The final straw was to be told the restaurant was full as it was Valentine's night and so we had to hike around Wellington looking for somewhere to eat - not sure if we just looked in the wrong areas but we certainly struggled!

We did sleep well and it only took them a few minutes to repatriate the car from across the road so I guess it was OK in the end. They charge for parking so it may be worth checking out just how much it is to park across the road in the museum car park as it was pretty empty and I suspect less than the hotel charged. There were internet terminals in the lobby and a little bar that served a nice white wine as house wine.

All in all, convenient, nice view but the rooms need a really good update and overhaul.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

My husband, myself and our 16 month old daughter stayed here for 1 night in March 2011. The hotel itself is beautiful, the rooms are incredible and the bathrooms are probably the most amazing i have ever seen, i don't think I have been in a bath so big before. However, sometimes all of that doesn't matter when the service isn't up to standard........I have pre-booked our room through the hotel directly and requested a portacot be placed in our room upon arrival, upon arriving in our room (after checking in with an unhappy looking receptionist) there was no portacot, so i called reception immediately and they informed me there would be a $20 charge for a portacot, I had no choice but to agree as there was no where else for our daughter to sleep but couldn't believe that after paying so much for the room itself there was a further hidden charge for a portacot. We left the hotel to go and have dinner and arrived back approx. 3 hours later and the cot still wasn't even in our room, they had forgotten. I don't think I would stay at the Museum Hotel again purely because of the service alone as I am a big believer in service with a smile, and this was never the case.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Firstly, I'll be honest we booked in here via wotif.com (as my father had previously and had a lovely room), so we were getting a discounted rate.

We checked in at the desk in the very swanky hotel foyer and were told that the bottle of bubbles we had pre-ordered was in our room - lovely. Headed upstairs and to our room, which is turned out was at the end of a very scruffy corridor (scuffed walls, ripped wallpaper, chipped paint) and next to both the guest laundry and housekeeping store. Not so lovely. The room itself was fine, though the bathroom was a bit old fashioned and had replastered bits of wall that hadn't been repainted, cracked socket covers etc.

No bottle of bubbles, so we assumed we were supposed to drink the one in the minibar (it turned out the bubbles had more likely been put in the wrong room). Took advantage of their "pillow menu" and requested a couple of lavender European pillows, which were wonderful, but it took two phone calls for them to actually find our room.

At 9am on Sunday morning the noise from the housekeeping store began (I presume it was a drier of some sort), but it encouraged us to get organised and check out!

Upon checking out we were asked by the very pleasant reception staff how our stay had been and I admitted I felt as if we'd been given their cheapest room, only to be told that it was one of their better "cheap" rooms and it had a lovely view. We were also then told we had had drinks from the lobby bar - no we hadn't - and we also realised that the bottle of bubbles we'd ordered had never turned up in our rooms. Told them that my dad had stayed in a discounted room in the past and that his room had been lovely; the receptionist agreed that he must have stayed in the newer part of the hotel which costs more and that the old part needed refurbishing.

All in all I felt as if I'd been dealt a "well if you want a discount then you get a cheap room in the tatty bit of the hotel" deal. Really disappointing that there is such a disparity between quality of the rooms, so you just don't know what you are going to get.

Room Tip: Pay a premium