“What a disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
Melbourne, Australia
“What a disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I was put up here as my usual 5 star hotel I stay at whenever I come to Wellie for work is not available. For a qualmark and 4 star hotel I expected more. The standard room is so tiny and the Tv is tiny like a PC screen for the standard and king sized bed room. The standard room has a strange layout of a super single bed and a single bed with a couch.. all of these in a tiny room.. i feel suffocated. When I asked for an upgrade I was given a room of same size with 1 king sized bed and charged 15 NZD more per day. Bed is comfortable but TV is the same tiny 14 inch PC screen mounted to wall. Can hardly see the TV screen from the bed.
The rooms are so closed to each other, the walls so thin I hear banging of walls all the time and people talking. I don;t feel comfortable if you know what I means.

Service is generally poor. The front desk and concierge acted like they are doing you a favour when you requested for something. One concierge member even rolled his eyes when he delivered the bedroom slippers I asked for. Housekeeping is service is very basic. The staff again rolled her eyes when I asked her to come back in the afternoon. After 1 hour she came back begging to clean the room because they were busy. It is the weekend and I like to sleep in during the weekend. As a business traveller, sleep is luxury. Instead I get my door knocked on asking if they could service the room again and again. Room service food is poor. Ice cream that came with dessert were twice mushy and already melted when they arrived. Overall I think this is more like a 3 star hotel. I would not stay here if it is not close to the office.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel several times. Parking is easy and the central location is outstanding! The hotel is clean and rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

The central location makes this hotel a great place to stay in Wellington. My husband and I have stayed at The James Cook a number of times either for rugby events or just a Friday night get away with some shopping planned on the Saturday. The staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

I stayed here with my wife on April 16, 2010. Because I have a mobility impairment, a room with an accessible bathroom was requested (through my APT tour leader), albeit on short notice. The room that I received, had a bathroom that was, frankly, shabby and in need of remodeling. There were no counter tops on which to place items. The (sliding) wooden door was water-stained and the bottom edge of the door looked "chewed up". But, my main complaint is that there was only one bed (double or queen, I don't remember which) when all of our traveling companions had TWO beds. Unfortunately, I did not discover the inequity in the rooms until we discussed this with our tour companions at dinner and the next morning.

The next morning, I completed a guest comment card with full contact information, including email address. I asked the clerk at the front desk to be sure to give it to the Duty Manager. It is now six weeks later and I have received NO response of any kind from anyone at the hotel.

Aside from the fact that my complaints might not seem too serious to some people, I find it very disappointing that they were not even worthy of a response after I departed. I don't care how many "stringent guidelines in product and service" the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor has met in the past, their customer service toward me was anything but GRAND!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
S_Beher-Manager, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. It is through such feedback that the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor may improve our service and product standards. I have investigated the concerns you have raised in your review. As you were on a Group Tour, our procedure is to reply to the Agency. In light of your comments, we will amend this procedure to ensure that individuals within Groups are responded to. I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the quality of our Mobility Impaired Room. The design of the room and bathroom, which were renovated 18 months prior, are in such a fashion that it provides for maximum maneuverability of mobility impaired guests. Hence the design of the bathroom does have less shelf space as those guests that are restricted to usage of a wheelchair must be able to access the sink as well as other facilities therein. Again, the lack of a second bed is to ensure maximum maneuverability in the room. Had you raised a concern at the time of your visit, we would have gladly accommodated you by moving you to a different room category. We have made the repair to the bottom of the door where the water stains were and appreciate this being brought to our attention. Once again, my apology that your experience was not up to your expectation. We would welcome the opportunity to have you visit our Hotel again and experience the true Hotel Grand Chancellor hospitality.
Napier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Nice rooms, Shower was a bit small and kind of a drizzle when it came out. The room was quite big. Good area, easy access to Lambton Quay. The hotel had a very nice breakfast.

Go eat at The Matterhon. AMAZING FOOD!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

This central-downtown hotel was a perfect location for our vacation trip. We literally walked everywhere. The lift down to Lambdon Quay was a step-saver in this very hilly city. Rooms perhaps on the small side, though that may be because there were three adults in one room (two double beds). Beds were comfortable, housekeeping was generous with towels. Business center was usually available, tho with the irritating fee now charged at many establishments.
We booked the hotel via Expedia for $100 a night, which was a bargain for our 8-night stay.
We did NOT try the restaurants, mostly because there were so many excellent dining options from the waterfront to Cuba Street.
We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We used this hotel as out base for looking around Wellington for a couple of days, its a nice city centre hotel with a useful back entrance/exit right onto the main shopping street of wellington. Its a large hotel part of a major chain so misses some of the small nice finishes however still a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor? Share your experiences!