“Paper thin walls” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Paper thin walls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed there last weekend, and Friday was kept awake until I finally wrapped a pillow around my ears at 1.15am. The two men in the next room were talking until then and it was really hard with that noise to go to sleep. Also everytime someone next door or in the room above used the bathroom, the noise was terrible. Cleaning staff were very good and very cheerful, as was the conceirge that we delat with. Breakfast very expensive, went down the road and got a great breakfast for under half the price that the hotel were charging

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hi Wendywoowu

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I’m pleased to hear your experience with our staff was positive. We try very hard to provide a peaceful environment for our guests and I am sorry that this was not what you experienced on this occasion.

Next time you are in Wellington you might like to try our Sojourn Café in the lobby, we serve café style meals and snacks at a very reasonable price. Again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Steve Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times using wotif mystery deals and paid about $100 per night which makes this great value for money. Located just off Willis St JCH is superb for walking all around my hometown and the rooms are good. As with a lot of places it could do with a little updating (the water shuttles in the taps) but it's comfortable.
Sorry hit the pool and spa buttons accidentally - don't think it has any....

Room Tip: Use Wotif to book and get great deal!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward welcoming you back soon.

Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was my second visit to the hotel and I really enjoyed it. Until recently I always stayed at the Intercontinental so I have pretty high standards. Now the decor of this hotel is not at the same level as the Intercontinental but the staff attitide, willingness and welcome makes up for it.

The dinner was delicious (I don't know why I was surprised) and the wine list comprehensive with many great local wines. My waitress was attentive, smiled a lot and respectful of the fact that i was eating alone. The bar staff were polite and they make a great martini.

My room (I was upgraded) was very comfortable and modern. My only complaint about these rooms are that the bathrooms are old and a bit grubby looking. The vanity units look like they have cracked at the bottom due to damp and the showers are a bit low for anyone over 5ft tall.

There is a wide selection at breakfast. Overall I really recommend this hotel. They do need some work on their online booking system as both occassions have created errors although the reception staff are quick to fix it.

The location is perfect for business and pleasure trips to wellington.

Room Tip: Some rooms face a brick wall so ask for one that doesn't
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hi Aunty-MacMac

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It’s great that you are enjoying the hotel and particularly our friendly and attentive staff – we are trying to make sure that all our guests are made to feel very welcome and comfortable during their time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards

Wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We got a Jimmy's Friday night deal for $139, which included 2 complimentary drinks & valet parking. The room was spacious, clean & very comfortable. The reception staff were friendly, happy & helpful. Easy walking to Cuba & Courtney. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We had a room on 24th floor, it had amazing views over the city.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Dee S

Thank you for your review, it sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend. Cuba & Courtney really are very close and there is a huge variety of restaurants, cafes and nightlife and of course the main shopping in Lambton Quay can be directly accessed via the elevators from the hotel lobby. I hope we will see you back at the James Cook again soon for a weekend break.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great for acces to nice restaurants as well as having easy access to and from the motorway. I find the hotel pretty good all round and stay as often as monthly........but....every time I go to check out they sting me with a credit card surcharge of 1.5%. It's not a huge charge but it just seems wrong and I always leave with a sour taste in my mouth.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hello

Thank you very much for your review, I’m glad you enjoy our hospitality and service during your stays. I appreciate your feedback regarding credit card surcharges this has however become common practice in New Zealand, there is of course no fee for EFTPOS payments.

I do hope you choose to continue to stay with us in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. Hotel facilities are very good, liked the size and comfort of the room. The breakfast is brilliant.

The location is great as a base to explore the city.

The concierge needed a lot of prompting and pushing to get us a restaurant reservation. Yes, I know it's only 400 metres away, but its raining, and we didn't want to walk there (and back) for no reason!

There are not enough staff on the front desk and they desperately need customer service training. Check-in and out was painful because there were not enough people, and other guests were simply walking to the front of the queue and asking various questions, which the staff were answering, rather than managing them. The result being we had a longer and longer wait. Really frustrating.

Might sound like a bit of a whinge, but it's the one thing that sticks in my mind from the stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed our facilities, although I’m disappointed that the service you received was not up to our usual high standards. We do endeavour to provide prompt, professional service at all times, obviously we failed on this occasion - please accept my apologies for this. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Location handy for many central activities. Staff professional and helpful. Room was clean, warm and comfortable. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice - I do like crispy hash browns.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hi Helrus51

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments regarding our product and services and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to welcome you back here soon (my children think the cripsy hash browns are pretty good too!!)

Steve Martin

Been to James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor? Share your experiences!