“This was the most disgusting place ever!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure Wellington Central City Apartments

You added Grand Mercure Wellington Central City Apartments to your Saves list
Grand Mercure Wellington Central City Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Victoria Street | Te Aro, Wellington 6142, New Zealand   |
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Wellington
ChCh
“This was the most disgusting place ever!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

I would never stay here again, my friend and I both hadnt stayed in a hotel before and were hoping it was going to be a really nice trip and clean at least but we got there, got crap service straight away which started the list of turn offs and from the beginning we felt uneasy. then upon entering the lift we smelt a disgusting stench of cleaning products/dirt, which put us off again. we got to our room, hoping it would be nice and found a million things wrong within 5minutes. the kitchen was so small both of us couldnt fit in it at once, there was no cutlery and only 1 plastic soon which we then had to keep washing to re-use. the heater on the wall was completely broken and battered looking, like the picture in another review. we then hopped out onto the balcony to look over the "city" which you could barely see anyway and we had problems with both of the doors, the balconies didnt even feel safe in the wind. then we wanted to open the windows and three out of four were broken, we moved on to checking out the room and there was stains on the duvet cover, who knows what. the lights were broken and old looking and there was rips on the wallpaper. the bathroom was pretty tiny too. overall it was grose, we went and complained and were told if we wanted to leave we would have to pay the full price anyway so decided to stay but we spent most of the night out to avoid having to stay there for too long, and were out of there in a flash in the morning. we were disgusted byt the whole stay and after seeing so many other complaints about the same sorts of things including being told on the website that all of the rooms had recently been renovated, I dont know how they are actually allowed to provide accommodation.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

I enjoyed this hotel as it was situated right in the centre of the city, the rooms were also clean and modern.
Only minor issue was the parking was situated at another location about 5min walk away-

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

One stay at this place was more than enough. I booked a trip down to Wellington for a week for myself and took my parents along as a surprise... It sure was a surprise! I looked at a number of different options before choosing this hotel, and chose it on the basis that their staff were by far the friendliest when I called, and their website mentioned that the rooms were ALL recently refurbished and of course the hotel was in a central location.

Upon arrival, the receptionist was friendly but cocked an eyebrow when we she confirmed we were staying for 7 nights – not a good sign! The lifts smelled of goodness knows what (but not nice things) and were slow and clunky, so luckily our room was on the 4th floor. Or so we thought.

When we reached our room and opened the door, the first thing were confronted with was a dirty kitchen and peeling paint in the tiny cell of a lounge! On exploring the rest of the rooms, we found that the heater barely worked, and that we were surrounded by concrete on all sides (despite the promised ‘view of the city’). The master bedroom was not unacceptable, until we found most of the lights were broken and realised we were right above a rubbish skip when we looked out the window and opposite a large carpark and found that the curtains were covered in mould. The other window in that room looked out over residential apartments and an alley way full of cars. The other bedroom had a view of the roof of a garage and a thick concrete wall about 2 meters away.

The so called balcony buckled under your feet when you walked on it, so quickly became out of bounds, and almost all the doors stuck. The microwave did not work, and the oven was caked with filth. In fact, the oven tray looked like a Pizza! The website had advised the hotel had room service. Upon checking the menu we found that in fact it offered frozen meals, which you had to heat in the microwave. Except the microwave didn’t work!!!!!!

The apartment was freezing cold (in the middle of summer!) because absolutely NO sunlight reached any room, and we had to keep the lights on so we were able to see. All rooms had peeling wallpaper or paint, and remember that the heater didn’t work (eventually we had to go by jumpers to wear inside).

The worst was yet to come however when we went into the bathroom. There was mould on ALL the walls and ceiling, the plastic extractor fan didn’t work and offered a great view into the shower cubicle for anyone in the car park opposite. It was pitch-black and even switching on the light didn’t do much and was so tiny you barely had room to sit on the toilet.

We decided to stick it out for the night and went down the next morning asking if we could be moved to a cleaner room, a request which was flatly refused because it would be too hard for them to change other bookings, as they were all only for a couple of days. I pointed out we were paying for 7 nights versus 2 and surely there was something they could do – again the answer was no. Unfortunately all the other hotels we checked out were booked, so we were forced to endure this dive for the full week period. Throughout the week as we went in and out of the lobby we heard 3 separate groups complaining about their rooms and asking to be moved and one group refusing to pay the full cost of the room because they were so unhappy with it!

It doesn’t end there though. Being right over the rubbish skip, I was woken twice at 5am by a rubbish truck turning up to pick up the skip. And even better still... I was woken up at 7am EVERY DAY (even the weekend) by builders in the room above. We requested again that due to this we be moved – and yet again we were flat out turned down.

The only ounce of help they offered was after we got into a discussion with someone in the lift who my mother proceeded to tell about the state of the kitchen after they asked how we were enjoying our stay. It turns out that this person was one of the building managers, and they promptly arranged for the oven tray to be replaced... But that’s IT!

Oh, and when I logged onto their website during my stay to find the statement ‘all rooms fully refurbished’ this had been pulled down and a message put up that ‘some rooms’ were refurbished and you could request these rooms at a higher price.

The only two things going for this place were the location and price, however it simply was NOT worth it! For only $20 more a night I could have had a tidy room a few streets away, and just to be clear, we did not expect 5 star accommodation for that price and location, simply a tidy and quiet room, neither of which we had.

Memories of that cell of an apartment and memories of the guilt I felt after taking my parents to stay in such a horrible place outweigh any benefits of cost or locations – there is no way I will stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything other than the location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

the first person I met when entering the complex was the receptionist, Melissa. She was not a good advertisment for the complex which was not a good start to our stay. Melissa presented as a "know it all" and her tone was somewhat condesending. Melissa provided us with inaccurrate information about our parking options which were not what we had understood they would be as the adjacent parking building was not available to us for our use. The building we were recommended to use may have, in fact, had our car towed away at midnight. I cannot confirm if this is in fact the case, but my understanding is such. When we challenged Melissa about the car park she had referred us to she seemed quite disinterested and at one point when we were trying to clarify where the next closest car part was situated, rolled her eyes. That was it. Melissa gained no further charity from me at that point onward! In fact, at that point I also decided that I would not come back and use this facility again! Upon entering our unit on the 7th floor I found a half empty yogurt container and milk bottle in the fridge. I called housekeeping to sort it. The doors were extremely heavy to push open and would not stay open despite the unit having an ajoining room. If I had been arthritic or petite I would have struggled even more to open and shut the doors. Probably the two biggest disappointments on my weekend was Melissa's attitude and the unavailability of parking.

On the positive side the young woman who followed Melissa's shift on Saturday afternoon (Asian) was just delightful, efficent and made me feel welcome. The young woman on Sunday morning, Dayna (I think) was also fabulous with a great sense of humour. Really, those two women made the stay bearable. Further to this the rooms were generally clean and reasonably set up. The bed was reasonably comfortable too.

The taxi service was impeccable and I am impressed at their availability and courtesy especially compared with the Auckland taxi services.

Over all I felt that the level of service could be described as an "upmarket backpackers" and if I had known this beforehand would not have been so disappointed.

• Liked — two of the three receptionists
  • Disliked — one of the three receptionists and no parking available
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jersey Channel Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

I was a little concerned when I read some of the previous reviews for this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to find that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Reception were efficient and pleasant when I checked in and afterwards, with always a good morning.

The room itself was clean and tidy and generally well equipped. When I first arrived there was no tea towel in the kitchenette but the following morning one had been supplied without my having to ask.

The kitchenette was equipped with a microwave, kettle, and sufficient cutlery and cooking utensils for my requirements. The bedroom was pleasantly decorated and bed linen clean. The bathroom was also fine, small but clean and fresh and completely adequate for my needs.

The only downside to the accommodation was the noise element. I arrived on a Saturday and that evening I was aware of a lot of noise from partygoers although all the windows were shut. This noise went on until the early hours of the morning. My room was situated at the front so if possible it might be worth asking for a room at the back which might be quieter. I checked out on Wednesday and the other nights were quiet so possible Friday and Saturday nights are the ones to avoid.

The hotel was well situated for visiting all the sights. Museums and other attractions were easily accessible on foot.

I would recommend the City Central to the traveller who is looking for comfortable, good value accommodation which is close to sightseeing attractions.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise at weekend
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

Very shabby property in a very risky section of the city.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — location & the property itself
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Good value and location, just a bit tired and room had a strong smell of cleaning products. No microwave which you often want in a serviced apartment.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleaning smell and noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Mercure Wellington Central City Apartments? Share your experiences!