“Good solid meal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good solid meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

You can be sure you will get a good solid meal. It's better than your traditional Indian restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wellington, New Zealand
“Best Indian restaurant in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I'd heard good things about this place. Tonight we went for takeaways and boy, they were right. The food was great with fresh herbs and spices. Although we took ours home , we could see that the restaurant was really nice too. The staff were lovely and we will be back.

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Hidden gem in northern suburbs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Nothing better than a tasty, authentic Indian food on a cold, wet, winter evening - well got 3 out of 6 right, as weather in Wellington is still summer-like, but the food in Chili's is Indian, and it is very, very tasty and most definitively authentic! Also it seems to us that every time we dine in Chili's, the food gets better and there is something new to try, but somehow Chili's still manage to retain the old favourites in their menus too.

The plan we (me and my wife) had was to order a bit more than usual so we can take the left of it with us and have some nice dinner on the next day too. So we started with some Chef's special Chili's sauce Chicken Tikka straight from their Tandoori oven together with traditional Onion Bhaji; Onion Bhaji was as good as always, but we had not had Chef's special before and it was absolutely beautiful (plus there was a lot of it). So unfortunately nothing was left for the next day ...

For our main courses we had Lamb Balti, Prawn Masala and Chicken Dahiwala. Lamb Balti we have almost every time, as the way Chili's prepares it is superior to all other Indian restaurants in Wellington. My wife wanted some Prawn Masala and liked it even though she felt it was spicier than usual. I liked it and actually preferred a bit more spices. Chicken Dahiwala was a new one for us - it was an interesting dish quite different to anything else we've had previously in other Indian restaurants. To me it was an average dish (which with Chili's strandards makes it a good/great dish in other Indian restaurants in Wellington), but my wife really liked it; she does not like chicken dishes usually but this one was just spot on; it is creamy, but not sickly so as the creaminess comes from yoghurt, it is tasty, but not sweet nor salty - actually I would be surprised if it had any salt or sugar content in it.

All the main courses were accompanied with a bread basket, which in Chili's is HUGE and has some five different varieties in it. As you can guess we had more than enough for the next day too! We also had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to go with it, in Chilies they believe in quality wines so the choice was the very affordable Tohu and it suited the dinner perfectly.

The dessert then, I hear you asking, what did you have for dessert? Well, nothing in the restaurant as we were just too full, but Chili's do have a great Mango Kulfi available that you can take home with you, put it into freezer and cherish the next day. What a great way to spend an evening out it was (again), thanks Chili's.

NZ
“Indian food that hits the spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have eaten here several times and had take-away. I cannot rate the food at Chili's highly enough.
Having emigrated from the UK and used to having excellent quality Indian food readily accessible, we were quite disappointed with many of the Indian restaurants we have visited here in Wellington. Chili's, though, really know how to make a tasty, spicy (not necessarily hot but they do that equally well if you want) curry or two. We have never had a curry that is three or four pieces of meat swimming in an ocean of sauce - which is a regular let down with other curry places we have tried. There is just the right amount of meat to sauce and it is always beautifully spiced.
The sharing platters are definitely worth ordering. We have, on occasion, come in as a family and had two of their sharing platters to share for 4 of us as a supper, with a couple of naan breads.
The lunch-time special is good value. $10 for curry, rice and a naan.
If you want to pile your plate up and eat masses of food - this probably isn't the place for you. But if quality, taste and really good, friendly service are important, then you definitely need to make it your next stop for a curry.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Can we throw the korma in a blender?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We've eaten in twice, we've taken away a few times and had it delivered... I can't remember how many times now. (Try the biryani! Excelent value, enough for 2 meals!) But it always makes me smile the way they'll happily do something extra to make your life easier, like free delivery and taking credit card orders over the phone.
So. Tonight, on top of their hosting a rather large table, possibly someone's b'day: "I'll start this with an odd question. Does the kitchen have a blender?" "Yes." "Great, would the chef mind putting a korma through it?"
Now lets face it, that'd get a few odd looks. But my partner had his wisdom teeth out 2 nights ago and I'm SICK of soup. Lamb korma is one of his favorites so this trick justified me getting a spicy dish of my choice too!
Next, would they let me pay then and there but deliver it for me? Yes, no prob. Partner's the driver, can't drive on his meds so I was walking home with the groceries. It earnt another chuckle and smile.
The meals arrived hot (as usual), med butter chicken w. rice and garlic naan, and lamb korma puree w. rice. (Seemed pointless to suggest blending a naan, kinda defeats the purpose!) And 2 mango lassi. (Total $42.30 delivered) Partner thinks he could have handled a sronger spice rating. I was playing it safe. Earnt brownie points from partner for me and increased loyalty to Chilis from household.

• Visited November 2012