“A very personalised tour!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour

Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour
Corner Victoria and Wakefield street Central City | Wellington i-SITE Visitor Centre, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
+64 4-801 6040
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 70 Activities in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour lets you see Wellington the way YOU want to! Our loop will take you to the best sights and attractions in Wellington. Experience panoramic views from Mount Victoria; observe native birds in our world-class wildlife sanctuary; enjoy a coastal drive around the bays; explore beautiful historic buildings; find our more about New Zealand's heritage at Te Papa, our national museum - the list goes on! Hop off at any of our 18 stops along the way, explore the attractions at your own leisure, and then hop back on an hour later. Or if you prefer, stay on board and enjoy a 2-hour scenic tour of Wellington. Your ticket is valid for 24-hours so the choice is yours! As you travel around our loop you will interact with our friendly guides who have lots of knowledge and local stories to share with you.
Aberdeen, Scotland
95 attraction reviews
“A very personalised tour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Being winter it wasn't busy so I had van to myself for most of the trip. Good commentary from Bruce when he was the driver as we drove around Wellington - the view from the top of Mount Victoria is breathtaking. The other van had to go off the road so I got picked up from the cable car station in a taxi (no commentary/any real information unfortunately) and driven around the rest of the route until I got off (as planned) at the Parliament before resuming with Bruce later on.

Visited July 2013
John M, administrator at Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our tour - I will be sure to tell Bruce he is doing a great job! :) Also, thank you for being so understanding about the taxi pick up. We were not able to call in the other driver and so our new administrator came to pick you up in a taxi. Being new she does not have much guide knowledge as our drivers unfortunately. Anyhow, we hope you fell in love with Wellington. :)

Glasgow
9 attraction reviews
“Truly shocking..1 point is too many”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

If you read my other reviews you will find that I am highly complimentary of people who make an effort. This was the exact reverse of that. I was with my 11 year old daughter. We went to the I-Site office and booked the tour $45 for me and $20 for the child rate. The content was shockingly poor (and that includes the 15 second readings they played which only seemed to mention the eateries inside) and any supplement by the driver was a joke. I have had more emotional explanations delivered by surgeons who are about to do a complicated invasive procedure than by Richard. Truly shocking. His driving of the minibus that you can't really see out of was of great concern. The first "hour" was completed in 35 minutes. I asked if it got any better in the next "hour" but his failure to respond led me to walk off the minibus and demand the complaints form from I-Site. I also asked for my money back but surprise, surprise while someone was around to take the booking no-one was around to deal with the complaint. Richard did come in and shout at me in front of the I-Site staff who seemed embarrassed but their eyes were opened to what the level of service to tourists to their city they are booking (and getting a commisssion on?). And no-one has sent me an email.

So, John, you owe me $65. I will probably never be back in Wellington and so you have managed to tarnish your nation's capital in my mind forever. As you run a tourist service that should (but I wonder) make you feel awful. Please if you read this private message me and let me know which charity you are giving my money to. If there is a local hospice then please give it there.

Visited April 2013
John M, Owner at Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have done a full enquiry into this situation and we were in the wrong. We are truly sorry that the driver spoke to you in this way – this is completely unacceptable to us and we have since dismissed this driver. We are going to fully review our driver training to ensure that we remain a fully professional, quality operation, recognized by the national quality assurance body as one of the best tours in Wellington. With regards to a refund, I have donated $65 to the Mary Potter Hospice in Wellington, as per your suggestion.
Dubbo, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“As bus tours go, yawn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We did the cruise tour. We did see a lot of Wellington. However the driver had a dry "personality" and scant knowledge of the city. There were no interesting facts, anecdotes and patter that usually come on these tours. We felt he should be working somewhere that would better match his minimalist personality (perhaps a funeral parlour?).

We got two stops only:
1. At the Wetta museum and
2. The city view

The rest was a boring drive-by at top speed past everything in Wellington. "This is the court house ... vroom" etc. .... Toilets anyone? Stretch the legs? Photographs? History? ... Nope.

Perhaps, the biggest slap in the face was that the tour did not include a return to the wharf. ...

Visited March 2013
John M, Owner at Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
tomDubbo, you took a cheap option of our tour (Cruise Ship Special), so you are not commenting on our full tour. While we regret that the driver's personality was a bit dry for your taste, please be aware that this option you took was a cheap and cheerful one, put on especially to cater for a perceived need for some of the cruise ships.

However, we are continually improving both the tour options, so thank you for your feedback.

For your information, a recent extensive survey of 100 customers gave us a score of 97% who said they would recommend the tour.
Sacramento, California
“The tour to take”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

There are apparently 2 tours that you can take in Wellington, the more traditional hop on and when you wait for the next bus to come by or this one. "John's" tour is different, and I would definitely recommend it if you are wanting an overview of the city, rather than a means of transport. The hop off is for a few minutes while the local guide describes the site to you. The 2 hour tour was actually closer to 3, and we had a drive around the "Marine Rd" which was just great as it showed us more of Wellington than we would have seen on the other tour.

Visited February 2013
John M, Owner at Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thanks for your review! It sounds like you were on our 9am Cruise Ship special opposed to our normal hop on hop off. This takes the same route but without the hop on/off facility (for a cheaper price). We are glad you enjoyed the tour with us, and enjoyed your time in Wellington!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Orientation Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

An excellent way of orientating one's self in a new city, enabling you to identify what you want to return to and see in more depth. The driver was friendly and very informative. I wondered why the bus was so small ( a mini-bus really) until we drove up the narrowest of streets to Mount Victoria, providing a marvelous viewing platform over the city.

Visited January 2013
John M, Owner at Wellington Hop On Hop Off City Tour, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and review. We do find the mini-buses ideal for the quaint and narrow streets of Wellington - it's also great for chatting to the driver and hearing his commentary. Glad you enjoyed our great city!